TV Show recommendations

Started by Archie Mitchell, June 23, 2009, 11:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Boycey on April 19, 2016, 03:36:12 PM
Anyone give The Tunnel - Sabotage a look yet? I watched 2 episodes the other night, looked promising. The previous series was good even if I lost track of all that was going on for a finish :-)
Aye gave episode 1 a lash the thee night. Looks decent.

Gold

Watched first episode of the Wire...not sure...thoughts.?
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Under Lights on April 06, 2016, 08:11:53 PM
Anyone watching The A Word on bbc1 Tuesday nights?

Great show, the kid is brilliant, and you wanna give the mum a good shake!!

Marcella with Anna Friel is an excellent show...
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Newbridge Exile

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 20, 2016, 06:55:09 AM
Quote from: Under Lights on April 06, 2016, 08:11:53 PM
Anyone watching The A Word on bbc1 Tuesday nights?

Great show, the kid is brilliant, and you wanna give the mum a good shake!!

Marcella with Anna Friel is an excellent show...
As is Line of Duty on BBC1, Keeley hawes is brilliant in it 

Billys Boots

Quote from: Gold on April 20, 2016, 12:33:49 AM

Stick with it.  The most off-putting thing for me was that I couldn't decipher the Baltimore accent for ages, so when I did I had to go back and watch the first five episodes again.  It's a slow burner, but probably the best thing that's ever been on television.  Ever. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Longshanks

Just watched the season two finale to better call saul, was excellent and left two great cliffhangers, especially the one regarding Mike.

Third season looks like it could be introducing alot more  BB characters which I'm looking forward to.

Jimmys brother now is just as bad as him to an extent also.

blewuporstuffed

Stick with it.
It takes 3 or 4 to get into and get used to the dialogue.
Still the best thing ever on TV for me.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Hound

Really enjoyed the OJ series.

Very well done (and gas how they got so many of the actors to look so like the person they were playing)

You'd wonder how many lives would have been lost in the riots had the verdict gone the other way. At least OJ is in the right place now (be interesting to see how his parole hearings go next year, I'd say they'll be pretty tough on him)

I thought the glove scene was done brilliantly. But then I watched it on youtube and realised that pretty much all they'd done was copy real-life. About the only time during the whole trial OJ was smiling instead of having a scowl on his face, he was certain the glove wouldnt fit and he lapped it up!

lurganblue

Quote from: screenexile on April 19, 2016, 01:51:26 PM
Watched the end of Vinyl there... it lost its way a bit from the opening episode I'd give it about a 6.5/10 meh!

Serious!? I thought the whole first series was excellent.  Very much looking forward to the next one.

lenny

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on April 20, 2016, 09:39:46 AM
Stick with it.
It takes 3 or 4 to get into and get used to the dialogue.
Still the best thing ever on TV for me.

Totally agree. Way above anything else I've ever seen. I found watching with the subtitles on helped because the Baltimore dialect can be hard to pick up but really worth persevering with.

thewobbler

Quote from: Billys Boots on April 20, 2016, 09:04:24 AM

Stick with it.  The most off-putting thing for me was that I couldn't decipher the Baltimore accent for ages, so when I did I had to go back and watch the first five episodes again.  It's a slow burner, but probably the best thing that's ever been on television.  Ever.

+1

Takes a while to get used to the accents, and to differentiate between all the lads who dress, walk, talk the same way, but around episode 5 when the structure of the Barksdale organisation becomes clearer, and the role of Bubbles and Omar becomes clearer, you will be hooked. Then you'll watch the other 57 episodes in a week. Then a month or so later you'll do it all again.

Newbridge Exile

Quote from: thewobbler on April 20, 2016, 10:33:59 AM
Quote from: Billys Boots on April 20, 2016, 09:04:24 AM

+1
Totally agree

Takes a while to get used to the accents, and to differentiate between all the lads who dress, walk, talk the same way, but around episode 5 when the structure of the Barksdale organisation becomes clearer, and the role of Bubbles and Omar becomes clearer, you will be hooked. Then you'll watch the other 57 episodes in a week. Then a month or so later you'll do it all again.
Agree 100%

JoG2

Anyone watching Billions? Very enjoyable. The season finale was excellent

Esmarelda

Quote from: Hound on April 20, 2016, 09:56:15 AM
Really enjoyed the OJ series.

Very well done (and gas how they got so many of the actors to look so like the person they were playing)

You'd wonder how many lives would have been lost in the riots had the verdict gone the other way. At least OJ is in the right place now (be interesting to see how his parole hearings go next year, I'd say they'll be pretty tough on him)

I thought the glove scene was done brilliantly. But then I watched it on youtube and realised that pretty much all they'd done was copy real-life. About the only time during the whole trial OJ was smiling instead of having a scowl on his face, he was certain the glove wouldnt fit and he lapped it up!
Couldn't agree more. I thought it was excellent. Episode 7, 8 and 9 (of 10) were particularly engrossing I thought.

The casting was outstanding too.

The only bit that might bother me is how factual the little details were. Well done to BBC for getting it too.

Esmarelda

Quote from: lurganblue on April 20, 2016, 09:58:45 AM
Quote from: screenexile on April 19, 2016, 01:51:26 PM
Watched the end of Vinyl there... it lost its way a bit from the opening episode I'd give it about a 6.5/10 meh!

Serious!? I thought the whole first series was excellent.  Very much looking forward to the next one.
I think I have one episode left. I think it's very enjoyable although not top, top class.