TV Show recommendations

Started by Archie Mitchell, June 23, 2009, 11:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newbridge Exile

Quote from: themac_23 on October 07, 2015, 04:54:44 PM
Quote from: lickthem on October 07, 2015, 04:26:43 PM
I would advise any of you that have not watched The Shield to give it a go.

In my opinion its the Daddy of them all. Some of the others in the list above are excellent as well but the Shield is class.

agreed, Vic Mackie is class, also how it all pulls together is top drawer, really surprised it doesn't get more recognition
Have watched the first three seasons of the Shield  and would agree 100%excellent show. Going off tangent maybe a  bit in terms of  comedies 30 Rock is the most consistently funny Box sent I have watched in years  Alec Baldwin is fantastic in it.

lenny

In my opinion its the Daddy of them all. Some of the others in the list above are excellent as well but the Shield is class.

First few series really excellent. Didnt like the last series though but still gripping.

lickthem

Have you watched it right through Lenny?

lickthem

agreed, Vic Mackie is class, also how it all pulls together is top drawer, really surprised it doesn't get more recognition

Can't understand that either. It is head and shoulders above other shows like the Wire but hardly anyone has seen it.

GalwayBayBoy

Month or two behind but just finished the 3rd season of Banshee. Best season yet IMO. Brilliant show. Thrashy and pulpy but just fantastic entertainment.

Main Street

Quote from: lickthem on October 08, 2015, 12:21:43 PM

Can't understand that either. It is head and shoulders above other shows like the Wire but hardly anyone has seen it.
The Shield had similar tv audience figures that the Wire had. They are 2 totally different concepts, opposite ends of the pole.
One reason why The Wire caught on years later is  because a growing  audience  finally got the concept of taking a series as a chapter the story had 5 chapters and that suited the box set phenomenon It's not a cop drama but cops are part of the plot in the most ambitious tv drama ever conceived about crime/politics/unemployment/racism/politics education in a US city, and the drama is littered with totally memorable stand out characters from e beginning to end,
Vic  in the Shield leaves the rest of the cast in the dust behind.
The Shield has Vic the super cop, the all powerful cop who leads the system by the nose, brazenly bucking the system. It's a spoof, but high octane from beginning to end and totally engrossing.
The Shield is not miles better than other top dramas, nevertheless it ranks in the top drawer.
When it comes to conventional cop dramas it's shows like NYPD blue that have the popular appeal.

lenny

Quote from: lickthem on October 08, 2015, 12:18:03 PM
Have you watched it right through Lenny?

Yes, I stuck with it all the way. I agree its a brilliant show but the last series wasnt just as good for me. For me its not as good as the wire but I would have it as second in the shows I have watched.

JimStynes

Another vote for The Shield. A great show and flat out right from the start!

Struggling to find anything to watch at the minute. Season finale of Fear the Walking Dead the other night there and thought it was class!  Really enjoyed it. Only there was only 6 episodes for the first season.

Canalman

Great month ahead on the box. Fargo 2, The Returning 2 and new American Horror Story all starting.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Canalman on October 12, 2015, 09:57:58 AM
Great month ahead on the box. Fargo 2, The Returning 2 and new American Horror Story all starting.
when does Fargo come back?
is it on channel 4 again?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Canalman

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on October 12, 2015, 10:54:45 AM

Channel 4 of More4 I think. Am watching out carefully for it.

nrico2006

I saw a trailer for Fargo and it looks a serious cast for a TV show.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Tony Baloney

Monday 19th.

laoislad

Quote from: Tony Baloney on October 12, 2015, 01:43:11 PM
Monday 19th.
First episode of season 2 is on Showbox now.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Bingo

The Walking Dead seaon 6 got off to a good start last night.

Plenty of zombies and tension with them.