TV Show recommendations

Started by Archie Mitchell, June 23, 2009, 11:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

QuoteShite ending. They had the killer over a barrel and then it just ended.

it was a bit strange, the wife packed up and left with the killer just like that, although she obviously was attached to her job.

as for the sub plots, you have a "diplomatic" chief who wants to keep in with politicians and other cops with rackets on the side, standard background stuff for every cop show known.

and for Nordie watchers, was the killer a Taig, or not?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

johnneycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 13, 2013, 12:03:18 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on June 13, 2013, 11:54:41 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 13, 2013, 10:50:46 AM
Quote from: hardstation on June 13, 2013, 10:38:01 AM
Shite ending. They had the killer over a barrel and then it just ended.

Also, what the fcuk was the sub-plot about? Pointless.

Sub plots are in a lot of shows, and as for the ending, not really an ending as there is a new series of it

Some of the sub-plots were not well explained and added very little to the main story.  Monroe senior, what and who exactly is he?  Why was he or the Detetives that died required and what did their stories add?

Monroe is a senior politician in N.I and his son runs a PR company I think, bringing in hookers and supplying them with dope/coke, his son's ex wife died and that was why she was initially brought in, to find that killer and subsequently took over the other murders. The sub plot is showing the senior PSNI (Lynch) as a bent-ish cop who'll sort things out for the senior politician

They may link in later on but, the jest of the story is centred around the serial killer.......... phew

A top PSNI cop called Lynch, how likely is that? Should have been Spence or something else like that!

what were the writers thinking?  :o

Edit: Lynch is the actors name; Burns is more like it...

Milltown Row2

Quote from: armaghniac on June 13, 2013, 12:14:16 PM
QuoteShite ending. They had the killer over a barrel and then it just ended.

it was a bit strange, the wife packed up and left with the killer just like that, although she obviously was attached to her job.

as for the sub plots, you have a "diplomatic" chief who wants to keep in with politicians and other cops with rackets on the side, standard background stuff for every cop show known.

and for Nordie watchers, was the killer a Taig, or not?

He was in and out of children care homes with no parents so how's that do? (I think he's Jewish) And they just went off on holiday don't think they are staying for good. Does anybody really watch these shows :o
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

gallsman

Quote from: Syferus on June 13, 2013, 01:36:30 AM
Quote from: Celt_Man on June 13, 2013, 01:02:42 AM
OH f**king GOD!!!

I'm after watching the last 2 episodes of Season 3 of Game of Thrones............

I think I'm actually in shock after watching episode 9 - can't believe what happened....

The signs were there for the twist after what happened at Winterfell at the end of season 2. Season 3 was great viewing as usual but a little too much of characters endlessly travelling, and Theon spent the entire season chained to a cross.

Hopefully there's more pace next season. There should be too with the ravens sendings out the big news to all corners of 'WestRos' in the finale.

I thought the third book slowed down a bit after the Red Wedding but picks up towards the end.

I'm curious as to what they'll do for season 5 on. Book 4 focuses specifically on half the character and the first 2/3 of Book 5 focuses on the other half, in the same timeline as Book 4. Not sure if they'll stick to the books or add in plot elements of both books to keep all characters on screen.

nrico2006

I was confused as to whether he was going on holiday at the end or away for good.  As mentioned, he was pretty careful but some of the silly writing has made him vulnerable from an evidence point of view.  His daughter could easily have blown his dairy location, why not hide it somewhere more secure and secret.  He has kept the girls hair in his study drawer as well as sending the victims father a sample of his hand writing.  On top of that, why did he go to the police station, he could have easily shut the wife up and said he would go and simply not bother turning up and telling her he did.  Now they have his DNA, finger-prints and handwriting as well as his voice on record.  Releasing his voice recording along with the face mock-up would surely get him caught alone.  Why would he be silly enough to give his daughter an obviously old/antique necklace from a victim when it would probably be eventually identified by the police as something missing and subsequently a picture of the necklace would be displayed publicly on the news etc.  The writing of the show actually had me wanting him to escape.  Plus, why was driving a Peugeot 405?  Surely it was more hassle to get one of those yoks nowadays than just giving him a standard modern car. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Denn Forever

I thought Eric Cantona's northern accent in the Fall was excellent.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Milltown Row2

Quote from: nrico2006 on June 13, 2013, 01:38:49 PM
I was confused as to whether he was going on holiday at the end or away for good.  As mentioned, he was pretty careful but some of the silly writing has made him vulnerable from an evidence point of view.  His daughter could easily have blown his dairy location, why not hide it somewhere more secure and secret.  He has kept the girls hair in his study drawer as well as sending the victims father a sample of his hand writing.  On top of that, why did he go to the police station, he could have easily shut the wife up and said he would go and simply not bother turning up and telling her he did.  Now they have his DNA, finger-prints and handwriting as well as his voice on record.  Releasing his voice recording along with the face mock-up would surely get him caught alone.  Why would he be silly enough to give his daughter an obviously old/antique necklace from a victim when it would probably be eventually identified by the police as something missing and subsequently a picture of the necklace would be displayed publicly on the news etc.  The writing of the show actually had me wanting him to escape.  Plus, why was driving a Peugeot 405?  Surely it was more hassle to get one of those yoks nowadays than just giving him a standard modern car.

Just as in Broadchurch (which was a very good show, while very dark) the writing needs to be a certain way otherwise he'll get off with it and what's the story with that? He's to be pettied with his background and they are giving you reasons as to why he's doing it, and I am wondering is their child going to be a by product of him when she's older (like the film Mr Brooks).

The policing techniques are very good, the line of questioning I thought was very good and getting him to write things down a smart move along with the forensics being used, I have banked the following to ensure i don't get caught!!!

He was using gloves the whole time and hasn't had sex with them so they would find it difficult for DNA he also used gloves when writing!! I need to get out more  :o

He's more like Gerry Adams than Eric
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

screenexile

Fair point. . . I mean why did he even go on a killing spree in the first place?

nrico2006

Quote from: screenexile on June 13, 2013, 02:29:50 PM

Fair point. . . I mean why did he even go on a killing spree in the first place?

He likes killing which is a given, but everything around what he does seems to be well planned yet there are these silly lapses in the writing which leave him open.  MR2- Mr Brooks is one of my favourite films.  As for DNA, maybe I believe the forsenics teams within the Police have more capabilities than they actually do, but I thought with your man rubbing all over the women and having a beard that there would be some hair deposited around the bedroom that could be picked up and identified.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

armaghniac

QuoteAs for DNA, maybe I believe the forsenics teams within the Police have more capabilities than they actually do, but I thought with your man rubbing all over the women and having a beard that there would be some hair deposited around the bedroom that could be picked up and identified.

he did wash the woman and the sheets in one case, which would remove a lot of stuff.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Tony Baloney

I found the killers crooked wing mirror the most annoying aspect of The Fall. Seriously wanted to straighten that thing out.

ballinaman

Watched the 1st two episodes of Game of Thrones last night to see what all the crowing is about......

How far into the 1st season does Gandalf and Frodo come into it?

Canalman

Quote from: ballinaman on June 14, 2013, 08:56:44 AM
Watched the 1st two episodes of Game of Thrones last night to see what all the crowing is about......

Just introducing the characters/ kingdoms etc at this stage. Bit hard to grasp it all imvho at that stage but definitely picks up.

ballinaman

Quote from: Canalman on June 14, 2013, 09:10:58 AM
Quote from: ballinaman on June 14, 2013, 08:56:44 AM

Just introducing the characters/ kingdoms etc at this stage. Bit hard to grasp it all imvho at that stage but definitely picks up.
I'll stick with it, might stick on the subtitles though for the next few episodes until I get further into it...hard to hear the weird names of lads and places sometimes!

Canalman

Saw two great episodes 5 and 6 (I think) of Hannibal last night. Series is hotting up and has my attention now.