TV Show recommendations

Started by Archie Mitchell, June 23, 2009, 11:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyHarp

Just going to start watching House of Cards - anyone seen it yet?
That was never a square ball!!

Syferus

Quote from: screenexile on February 06, 2013, 02:08:27 PM
Watched the first 4 episodes of Utopia last night. I like it!!

Just finished episode two last night, definitely a very impressive mini-series. The assassin played the lead in Kill List (also as an assassin) and the police detective in episode one played his best friend in Kill List, clearly the creators are fans of the film.

Channel 4 have been building up quite a good reputation for scripted drama lately - Misfits' slide aside - and I finally got around to watched the first episode of The Fear a few nights ago. One of the best crime dramas I've seen in a long time.

Like Utopia it's brave with its framing and use the 2:35:1 cinematic ratio and in both cases it's a complete success.

BennyHarp

Quote from: BennyHarp on February 07, 2013, 06:23:09 PM

Well, if anyones interested, after 2 episodes I'd definitely recommend. Kevin Spacey is excellent in the lead role.
That was never a square ball!!

Tony Baloney

Quote from: BennyHarp on February 07, 2013, 09:41:24 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on February 07, 2013, 06:23:09 PM

Well, if anyones interested, after 2 episodes I'd definitely recommend. Kevin Spacey is excellent in the lead role.
Tis on the list. Would be going some to beat the original!

Main Street

laoislad

New episode of The Walking Dead up on piratebay.!
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

LeoMc

Quote from: Syferus on February 07, 2013, 08:07:08 PM

Just finished episode two last night, definitely a very impressive mini-series. The assassin played the lead in Kill List (also as an assassin) and the police detective in episode one played his best friend in Kill List, clearly the creators are fans of the film.

Channel 4 have been building up quite a good reputation for scripted drama lately - Misfits' slide aside - and I finally got around to watched the first episode of The Fear a few nights ago. One of the best crime dramas I've seen in a long time.

Like Utopia it's brave with its framing and use the 2:35:1 cinematic ratio and in both cases it's a complete success.

Where are you watching this. I saw the first 3 episodes but missed the final one. It wasn't on 4 OD at the time. :(

nrico2006

Person of Interest is very good so far.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Canalman

Half way through S1 of Borgen and have to say I am pleasantly surprised. Very good so far and I have the 2nd season taped as well.

Newbridge Exile

Quote from: nrico2006 on February 12, 2013, 08:55:36 AM
It gets better too, black mirror last night was good too, ( creepy though)

Billys Boots

Over half-way through a French series called 'Les Revenants' (Ghosts) - I'm really enjoying it.  It's set in a small mountainous village - people who have been dead (ranging in time from 2-35 years ago) start coming back to life.  There's no zombie stuff going on; just folk who have passed on, usually by violent/sudden death, just wander back into the village the same as the day they died.  However, time has passed, and though their partners/families/friends are freaked out initially, and eventually glad to have their loved ones back in their lives, problems start to happen.  A twin sister arrives back aged 13; her twin is now 16 and not really able to cope mentally with this.  A man who has died on the day he was supposed to be married arrives back to find that his partner is now in another relationship and about to get married again.  And so on; it's really about how people cope when they find that someone whose loss has devastated their lives, is now back in their life as if nothing has happened - but it has, they have gone through the loss, and all is different.  Oh, and something creepy is happening in the reservoir in the mountains.  Brilliant stuff - reminds me of Twin Peaks at its very best.  Highly recommended.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2521668/
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

screenexile

Quote from: Newbridge Exile on February 12, 2013, 12:19:42 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on February 12, 2013, 08:55:36 AM
It gets better too, black mirror last night was good too, ( creepy though)

I really didn't like Black Mirror at all!

tbrick18

Quote from: laoislad on February 11, 2013, 11:19:45 PM
New episode of The Walking Dead up on piratebay.!

Watched it last night....not bad!

Main Street

Quote from: Billys Boots on February 13, 2013, 11:42:22 AM
Over half-way through a French series called 'Les Revenants' (Ghosts) - I'm really enjoying it.  It's set in a small mountainous village - people who have been dead (ranging in time from 2-35 years ago) start coming back to life.  There's no zombie stuff going on; just folk who have passed on, usually by violent/sudden death, just wander back into the village the same as the day they died.  However, time has passed, and though their partners/families/friends are freaked out initially, and eventually glad to have their loved ones back in their lives, problems start to happen.  A twin sister arrives back aged 13; her twin is now 16 and not really able to cope mentally with this.  A man who has died on the day he was supposed to be married arrives back to find that his partner is now in another relationship and about to get married again.  And so on; it's really about how people cope when they find that someone whose loss has devastated their lives, is now back in their life as if nothing has happened - but it has, they have gone through the loss, and all is different.  Oh, and something creepy is happening in the reservoir in the mountains.  Brilliant stuff - reminds me of Twin Peaks at its very best.  Highly recommended.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2521668/
Thanks for the write up Billy, I'll check it out.

Syferus

Quote from: LeoMc on February 12, 2013, 08:39:03 AM
Quote from: Syferus on February 07, 2013, 08:07:08 PM

Where are you watching this. I saw the first 3 episodes but missed the final one. It wasn't on 4 OD at the time. :(

Ahem... http://kat.ph/the-fear-uk-2012-miniserie-hdtv-eng-nlsubs-bb-t6938288.html