Club Hurling Managers 2017

Started by Ogie, December 01, 2016, 03:11:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ogie

That time of year again!
Champions Borris Kilcotton looking for new manager Ken Hogan gone back to his own club Lorrah
Clough Ballacolla homework done early with the appointment of former BK manager Tommy Buggy
It's believed Rathdowney Errill will part company with Brian Young.
Has Arien taken the reigns for another year in Camross?
Ballinakill ?
Portlaoise?
Abbeyleix look to be retaining Mark Tyrrell
Castletown ?

ClashAsh

Big surprise with Ken Hogan parting ways with Borris Kilcotten. Thought Brian Young did a very good job with Rathdowney, why is he not staying?
James Carroll staying on with Ballinakill.
Heard different about Abbeyleix, unconfirmed but players wanted Mark Tyrell to remain on but he has walked I heard.
Arien Delaney back with Camross as far as the wind blows.
Harps appointment will be important is David Cuddy staying on to attempt to bring them straight back up?

merman

I had heard that Ballinakill also spoke with Tommy Buggy so somewhat surprised to hear that Carroll is staying on.

Don't think the players were overly impressed with Brian Young so a change was always likely.

Arien Delaney is back with Camross. Same selectors from 2016 I understand too.

The Harps will surely bring in an inside manager?

Keyser Söze

Buggy is one that seems to be very highly rated or very poorly thought of- depending on who you are talking to. Wasn't he quite close to landing the Laois job at one stage? This will be his 3rd Laois club by my reckoning?

Carroll made a funny move last year from Abbeyleix to Ballinakill. Some very strong characters in that dressing room.

Young is highly rated by many- including some in RE.

I'm hearing that Delaney will stay where he is. You'd imagine Portlaoise and Castletown will remain unchanged.

Abbeyleix to change again?

Big boots to fill in Borris Kilcotton!
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

redsetanta

I heard Portlaoise were looking for Cheddar don't know if there's any truth in it
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

ClashAsh

Did Borris Kilcotten get a replacement manager for Ken Hogan yet? Any news on appointments within other clubs?

Hells Kitchen

BK have appointed Ronan Kelly as the Manager, they have gone with one of their own as manager and he is bringing his own hurling coach. He was a selector with the team for the last 2yrs.

Ogie

Yep BK gone with Ronan Kelly as manager, well respected & players very happy with appointment, hurling coach is a Clare man & also on board is a qualified S&C coach from within the club.

Have Abbeyleix, Portlaoise, Ballinakill, any appointments made?

Ballyroan Abbey

Ogie

I see Abbeyleix's Ex Niall Tyrell has got the James Stephens job in Kilkenny & Eamonn Jackman is hurling coach with Castlecomer.

Positions filled to date -

Borris Kilcotton - Ronan Kelly
Rathdowney Errill - Brian Young
Camross - Arien Delaney
Clough Ballacolla - Tommy Buggy
Ballinakill - James Carroll
Portlaoise - Cheddar
Abbeyleix - ??
Castletown - ?? Have parted company with Paul Cuddy

TP Ashe

I don't think James Carroll is back with Ballinakill. Nor is wanted.

Keyser Söze

Paul Cuddy gone from Castletown? Wouldn't have expected that?
I thought Brian Young was gone from R/E?

Quote from: TP Ashe on January 16, 2017, 11:10:09 AM
I don't think James Carroll is back with Ballinakill. Nor is wanted.
I thought this was a very strange appointment 12 months ago. Leaving Abbeyleix to join their neighbours (who had just come off a very successful first year back at Senior level)
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

BlueAlways

Ogie, your comment above that Castletown "Have parted company with Paul Cuddy" is misleading and disrespectful to a man who has given his all for club and county over the last 20 years or more, hopefully it was unintentional. The facts are that Paul took the decision himself to not put himself forward for re-appointment as Castletown manager for 2017. What the man achieved in leading Castletown to a Senior league final (albeit beaten by a superior Rathdowney team on the day) and a Senior A Championship win in 2016 was a brilliant achievement especially considering the mess he inherited when taking over in 2015 after the acrimonious split with Slieve Bloom. He has returned his beloved club to the Senior ranks of Laois Hurling in a very healthy state (approx. half of the side that finished Championship final in 2016 were under 21 years of age)  and his hope as is mine is that the club will continue to grow and prosper over the next few years and beyond. He has more than earned the right to make whatever decision suits him and his family best and rest assured it was done with integrity and professionalism which are the hallmarks of the man.

Don Draper

Quote from: BlueAlways on January 25, 2017, 02:15:45 PM
Ogie, your comment above that Castletown "Have parted company with Paul Cuddy" is misleading and disrespectful to a man who has given his all for club and county over the last 20 years or more, hopefully it was unintentional. The facts are that Paul took the decision himself to not put himself forward for re-appointment as Castletown manager for 2017. What the man achieved in leading Castletown to a Senior league final (albeit beaten by a superior Rathdowney team on the day) and a Senior A Championship win in 2016 was a brilliant achievement especially considering the mess he inherited when taking over in 2015 after the acrimonious split with Slieve Bloom. He has returned his beloved club to the Senior ranks of Laois Hurling in a very healthy state (approx. half of the side that finished Championship final in 2016 were under 21 years of age)  and his hope as is mine is that the club will continue to grow and prosper over the next few years and beyond. He has more than earned the right to make whatever decision suits him and his family best and rest assured it was done with integrity and professionalism which are the hallmarks of the man.
I dont believe he meant any insult. Parting company isn't an insulting term I'd have thought.

Everyone knows Paul Cuddy is a lovely man and Castletown through and through.

hurlingmad

Quote from: BlueAlways on January 25, 2017, 02:15:45 PM
He is a great hurling brain and will be of benefit to any project he uptakes should he stay involved, great servant to Laois for years