Dup will never allow Irish language act

Started by uimhr ocht, February 06, 2017, 05:01:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Fearon

In what way is refusing to waste millions on a needless Irish Language Act a suppression of Irish culture? Aren't Irish Language classes taking place in the heart of Protestant East Belfast unhindered?

No wides

Quote from: armaghniac on February 12, 2017, 01:26:51 AM
Quote from: T Fearon on February 12, 2017, 12:00:47 AM
Exactly.Anyone who wishes to learn any language should be given the opportunity to attend classes etc,but that's it.We don't need expensive legislation or every bloody document/road sign appearing in two or three different languages at huge cost to the public purse.

Why should your mates in the DUP be allowed suppress Irish culture in Ireland?

Hows your Irish? My children are all fluent and I attend classes for conversational Irish - with or without an Irish Language Act if you want to keep your cultural language alive there are lots of opportunities. I personally couldn't give two shits if not one sign was in Irish, but then I am not an insecure person.

T Fearon

Good piece by Suzanne Bremen in the paper today.She says most people here care about Health,Education,Employment and not about silly expensive diversions like an Irish Language Act.

seafoid

Quote from: T Fearon on February 12, 2017, 12:34:53 PM
Good piece by Suzanne Bremen in the paper today.She says most people here care about Health,Education,Employment and not about silly expensive diversions like an Irish Language Act.
The DUP campaign is focused on identity issues rather than policy. Brexit is a case in point. Follow the Tories down the rabbit hole and f the consequences.  How many times has Mrs Foster warned of the damnation if SF come first?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

6th sam

Quote from: No wides on February 12, 2017, 08:44:35 AM
Quote from: armaghniac on February 12, 2017, 01:26:51 AM
Exactly.Anyone who wishes to learn any language should be given the opportunity to attend classes etc,but that's it.We don't need expensive legislation or every bloody document/road sign appearing in two or three different languages at huge cost to the public purse.

Why should your mates in the DUP be allowed suppress Irish culture in Ireland?

Hows your Irish? My children are all fluent and I attend classes for conversational Irish - with or without an Irish Language Act if you want to keep your cultural language alive there are lots of opportunities. I personally couldn't give two shits if not one sign was in Irish, but then I am not an insecure person.
I care about health education and employment as well. Cultural protection also can benefit these areas either directly or indirectly. Cultural protection costs money, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's a waste of money. Gaelscoileanna and many Irish Classes etc are subsidised. I also would have reservations on the usefulness and appropriateness of translated street names and official documentation, and I'm no expert in the best way to protect and promote culture, but I feel very strongly that we should protect positive culture , following best evidence of success. It's seems to me that Wales have effectively maintained and even strengthened their language, perhaps we could learn from them?
I agree that it's unfortunate that the Irish language issue has distracted from more pressing concerns but it's the lack of recognition , respect and even the ridiculing of Irish culture that is a manifestation of a deeper problem whereby even 50 years after the civil rights movement some unionists are still either disinterested or antagonistic to anything Irish. That's "the elephant in the room" and it will remain so until it is called out as unacceptable, not only by unionist leaders but also by those among the so-called nationalist community who are happy to allow that mindset to go unchallenged.

BennyCake

It's a fraction of the expense of orange marches, fleg protests and bonfire grants. More than half the population in the North don't care for those things, but they still go on.

manfromdelmonte

If they banned Irish altogether it would probably flourish

LCohen

At the Armagh v Laois game today the announcer made a big deal about the announcements being in English and Irish and how this was to promote the Irish language and to treat English speakers and Irish speakers with equality and respect. Was this in response to Arlene?

Announcer did himself no favours as the next announcement was in English only and the one after that was in Irish only

seafoid

Quote from: Avondhu star on February 11, 2017, 11:09:07 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on February 11, 2017, 09:57:41 PM
Ta! A small residual bit from my O Levels a long time ago.I'm all for promoting Irish and indeed all languages.I just don't see the point in expending millions on legislation when it's plainly not needed
Millions upon millions upon millions have been spent in the Republic on Irish but after 14 years education the majority of the people couldnt go in to the shop and ask for a bottle of milk in Irish.

Galway makes millions and millions from the language

No wides

According to the TUV on Nolan it is merely a hobby language !!

vallankumous

We don't need museums either. We can easily store that old stuff in a warehouse or have it destroyed. Why anyone would want to preserve a linen mill is beyond me.
'The Arts' is another one. If ye want to write a piece of music go to x-factor, the private sector is well able to promote the arts without the state spending a penny on it.

Keyboard Warrior

Quote from: LCohen on February 12, 2017, 10:44:20 PM
At the Armagh v Laois game today the announcer made a big deal about the announcements being in English and Irish and how this was to promote the Irish language and to treat English speakers and Irish speakers with equality and respect. Was this in response to Arlene?

Announcer did himself no favours as the next announcement was in English only and the one after that was in Irish only

Announcer in Athletic Grounds loves to hear himself.

Jim_Murphy_74

Listening to some of the discussion about this, I wonder would there be a half-way house on this?

Putting Irish as an official language and all that goes with that (right to courts through irish, all government publications in Irish etc.) is definitely expensive and aimed at a very small minority in a practical sense.

Maybe funding towards language development and a formal recognition in law that Irish is part of Northern Ireland's history and identity would reflect the important of Irish to so many people?

/Jim.

seafoid

Quote from: AQMP on February 16, 2017, 09:34:44 AM
Underneath the shouting O'Dowd made a good point on Nolan last night when he asked Peter Weir, if the ILA cost £1 mill a year would the DUP support it.  Weir said no.  It's not about the cost.
It's about vote banks and power.

vallankumous

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on February 16, 2017, 09:59:28 AM
Listening to some of the discussion about this, I wonder would there be a half-way house on this?

Putting Irish as an official language and all that goes with that (right to courts through irish, all government publications in Irish etc.) is definitely expensive and aimed at a very small minority in a practical sense.

Maybe funding towards language development and a formal recognition in law that Irish is part of Northern Ireland's history and identity would reflect the important of Irish to so many people?

/Jim.

If you know you will have to give concessions in a negotiation you start of by demanding everything. Then the concessions are not so bad.