Stormont Assembly Elections 2017

Started by give her dixie, January 13, 2017, 11:42:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sensethetone

Quote from: Farrandeelin on February 23, 2017, 09:23:52 AM
Who was that DUP man on Nolan last night? He doesn't care about what happens, so long as the UK are out of EU. Says a lot really.

Nelson McCausland who maintains the Irish language act will cost 100 million a year.

Applesisapples

Andy Pollacks article in the IT retweet this am sums up DUP voters/unionist voters very well.

AhNowRef

Quote from: Take Your Points on February 22, 2017, 09:28:39 PM
Quote from: ONeill on February 21, 2017, 10:57:28 PM
SF voters are generally as much plumpers as any unionist, they won't even transfer a vote to any other non-unionist for fear of allowing any progress other than for their own party.

I think that's an inaccurate analysis TYP.

In the 2016 election, SF voters transferred 21,672 votes. 
Alliance got 768, Cons 1, DUP 111, Greens 878, Independents 83, PBP 67, PUP 10, SDLP 3049, SF 15,687, TUV 11, UKIP 31, UUP 224, WP 750.

72% of SF transferred votes went to SF candidates.  Only 14% to SDLP and 13% to non-nationalist parties.

61% of DUP transferred to DUP.

Interesting figures ... but..

You could also say that the 72% SF to SF was higher than the 61% DUP to DUP because the DUP will transfer to "any" unionist just to keep "themuns" out .. whereas more SF voters stick to their own party & manifesto...... i.e. Not just a sectarian vote ..

I'd be interested to know what percentage of DUP transfers went to Nationalists ... but then again that doesn't tell us the real picture either as many unionists would transfer for the SDLP in an attempt to keep SF out .... and to be fair, you will get a bit of this from both sides !!

So these figures don't really tell us anything..  well, nothing you can really analyse anyway ..

Applesisapples

Jesus, I used to think Claire Hanna would be a shining light for the Stoops, but she is worse than Big Dolly.

AhNowRef

The lovely Nelson McCausland on Nolan last night proved again what a wee bitter weasel he is .. he doesnt care about the consequences as long as "we're free from Europe" .. basically they think a hard border will be good for OWC in that it widens the gap between the North and the Republic ... The incorrectly think/hope that they can get back to Stormont 1950 ..  FFS  ::)

Also, as regards himself, poots and Big Arnie Fister saying that the Brexit donor details will all be released today ... I wouldnt hold my breath .. I would be amazed if they release the details ... it will be another case (as per RHI recipients) of them pretending to "want" to release the details but "alas we cant because the Donor wont hear of it" .....  I could be wrong but I will believe it when I see it..

imtommygunn

Nelson is as big a bigot as they have which is saying something.

We are also waiting for grand plans to recoup the RHI money too.

A border is the only reason these clowns want Brexit in my view. They probably seeing it as strengthening "the union" when in fact all it will do will be push middle grounders(and some less than middle ground) more against it.

AhNowRef

Quote from: imtommygunn on February 23, 2017, 11:16:54 AM
Nelson is as big a bigot as they have which is saying something.

We are also waiting for grand plans to recoup the RHI money too.

A border is the only reason these clowns want Brexit in my view. They probably seeing it as strengthening "the union" when in fact all it will do will be push middle grounders(and some less than middle ground) more against it.

Yeah, they arent half as smart as they think they are .. they couldnt run a sweetie shop ... its some fall from the "keepers of the flame" as regards their financial/business acumen that they've been peddling for years ...  Incompetent morons at best .. incompetent corrupt morons at worst..

As for Brexit, you're right, it could and hopefully will, backfire on them big time ..

vallankumous

Quote from: AhNowRef on February 23, 2017, 11:40:59 AM

As for Brexit, you're right, it could and hopefully will, backfire on them big time ..

Be careful what you wish for. Regardless if they get punished, we're all in this together now and a backfire is on us all.

general_lee

The DUP can make as many blunders as they want, safe in the knowledge that their core support of fellow bigots will continue to elect them. A big pharmaceutical company near me has bought a facility in Dundalk on the back of Brexit yet you won't hear a word from those c***ts about the potential loss of jobs, of Portadown of all places. All they've to do is blabber about SF and Gerry Adams and they'll secure their vote.

AhNowRef

Quote from: vallankumous on February 23, 2017, 12:46:05 PM
Quote from: AhNowRef on February 23, 2017, 11:40:59 AM

Be careful what you wish for. Regardless if they get punished, we're all in this together now and a backfire is on us all.

Oh dont get me wrong .. I certainly dont wish for Brexit .. the opposite actually as I agree it will be awful for Ireland, North & South .... However, "if" Brexit is set in stone, then I hope the feck it backfires on them big time re the union which is seemingly "all" they care about ...They'd rather risk being horribly poor and in the sh1t & uber British than well off and out of the union....   That idiot McCauslands comments last night prove this .. as if we didnt know already..

north_antrim_hound

This election will pan out the same even with a larger nationalist turn out due to the despicable behaviour of the DUP
But the next few years are going to be interesting. if Brexit becomess reality and the economical implications as a result then the unionist electorate will turn on them
I really beleave Scotland will vote for independence too ( after brexit )throwing the union into turmoil
Plus the demographic shift when the older and staunch unionist vote is gone
The struggle continues against all the dogmatic condescension that the DUP and their electorate bring but even they know the worm is turning
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

ziggysego

Quote from: Farrandeelin on February 23, 2017, 09:23:52 AM
Who was that DUP man on Nolan last night? He doesn't care about what happens, so long as the UK are out of EU. Says a lot really.

LAD pretty much sums it up https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=594692357402386&id=167750270096599
Testing Accessibility

AhNowRef

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on February 23, 2017, 02:47:43 PM
This election will pan out the same even with a larger nationalist turn out due to the despicable behaviour of the DUP
But the next few years are going to be interesting. if Brexit becomess reality and the economical implications as a result then the unionist electorate will turn on them
I really beleave Scotland will vote for independence too ( after brexit )throwing the union into turmoil
Plus the demographic shift when the older and staunch unionist vote is gone
The struggle continues against all the dogmatic condescension that the DUP and their electorate bring but even they know the worm is turning

Yep, .. it is strange though that they don't seem to want to factor in the changing demographics ... another ten years will make all the difference..

You'd think they'd be a little smarter but no, I guess they just arent that smart, or maybe they are simply so utterly blinded by bigotry that they just cant help themselves ...   The scorpion & the Frog comes to mind !!

Applesisapples

Whilst not in the least surprised by McCausland and his ilk, I despair that the DUP and their supporters are so unsure of their position on this Island that they fear equality. Equality nationalists with the reflection of same in the symbols and icons of the state could secure the union for ever. Their current approach could absolutely break the union.

haranguerer

That can be seen in the ludicrous interpretation of gerry's comments about equality. Clearly terrified of it, but little wonder given how they interpreted it for most of NI's existence