Savings Accounts

Started by magpie seanie, January 15, 2016, 02:49:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

There was an old thread with only two posts on it on this topic but I thought I'd start a new one.

Any advice on the best ideas for putting a few quid away. I see Rabobank have a savings account which pays 1.25% on amounts up to €50,000 which looks the best to me. Anyone any suggestions? There's no reason to worry about the credit rating of the bank is there (it's ok, but only ok)?

armaghniac

Nobody pay much more than this nowadays. If the Regular Saver idea works for you then you can get more with the like of EBS, Nationwide UK.
Askaboutmoney.com is best for ideas.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

magpie seanie

Thanks Armaghniac. I checked out bonkers.ie but must look at AskAboutMoney. A few changes happening so a couple of things need to be looked at.

armaghniac

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 15, 2016, 03:45:15 PM
Thanks Armaghniac. I checked out bonkers.ie but must look at AskAboutMoney. A few changes happening so a couple of things need to be looked at.

Thankfully the banks are less lilely to go bellyup than seem possible a few year ago.

Hereiam

Christ where does this extra money come from. Mine is getting less.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Hereiam on January 15, 2016, 04:35:18 PM
Christ where does this extra money come from. Mine is getting less.

I won it on a horse.  ;)

manfromdelmonte

magpie seanie

Yes. The rest I got from an ould whip around the lads done for me. Ya know yer self. I don't have a bank account so I'm wonderin what ta do with it.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 15, 2016, 05:12:18 PM
Yes. The rest I got from an ould whip around the lads done for me. Ya know yer self. I don't have a bank account so I'm wonderin what ta do with it.
Get one them oul resting bank accounts.

seafoid

Quote from: armaghniac on January 15, 2016, 03:57:19 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on January 15, 2016, 03:45:15 PM

Thankfully the banks are less lilely to go bellyup than seem possible a few year ago.
not so sure. The model is still borrow short, lend long...
The banks have an awful lot of shit sov bonds on their balance sheets that they think are risk free too
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

armaghniac

You could just keep the loot at home.
(image provided by Cunny Funt in the other thread)

Eamonnca1

Dunno if you can use it outside the states but I've been using prosper.com. It's a peer-to-peer lending site. I've been making about 12% on it. You can start off with as little as $25 and put in as much as you want. The only caveat is you can't be in a hurry to get your money out of it because your debtors pay back a few cents at a time by the time their monthly payment is divided out to all the creditors.

BennyCake