Meath East By-Election

Started by magpie seanie, March 28, 2013, 02:00:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

Looking at the tally figures for first preferences I wouldn't be convinced that FG have this wrapped up. They should be happy that their own vote held up. FF will be delighted. SF improved but not as much as I would say they hoped. Labour decimated. 62% didn't vote.

McEntee (FG) 9,457
Byrne (FF) 8,230
O Rourke (SF) 3,180
Gilroy (DDI) 1,613
Holmes (Lab) 959
O Buachalla 382
Keddy 252
McDonagh 250
Others 298

Seems the DDI transfers are breaking evenly and even though Byrne is getting a high proportion of SF transfers it won't be enough - according to David McCullagh of RTE on twitter.

Shamrock Shore

Knives being sharpened out in Labour HQ.

Never heard of Direct Democracy - is this a Meath phenomenem? Perhaps to the right of FG?

magpie seanie

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on March 28, 2013, 02:15:31 PM
Knives being sharpened out in Labour HQ.

Never heard of Direct Democracy - is this a Meath phenomenem? Perhaps to the right of FG?

Christian solidarity I believe.

Going to be close I think.

Declan

Nah Seanie - Mcentee will get in - Unreal turnout. When I went in last night to vote there were only two other names crossed off the list. In eight boxes just over a 1000 votes.

I found it very hard to pick a candidate to vote for  I'll be honest with you -

Here's the real result

Given the low turn out I'm not surprised at FF vote tbh. An Estate agent who was immersed in FF culture got the base excited again
.Austerity is working obviously because FG's vote is only down a couple of points from the GE and Labour have got trounced due to the apathy and the floating voter not bothering as there is no alternative.

Rossfan

Could be a good time to get an Apathy Party up and running ....

if anyone could be bothered of course
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Declan

Here's the DDI website - Haven't looked through all of it but hard to see it being described as classic right wing

http://directdemocracyireland.ie/

magpie seanie

1441 in it with all the others going to be eliminated. There's approx 6400 votes to be split out including approx 1200 Labour and 3300 SF. Byrne will close the gap but it would be a remarkable transfer if he could bridge it. There will be a fair % of non-transferable votes you'd imagine. McEntee by 3-400 I'd imagine.

magpie seanie

Got those transfers way wrong!

mylestheslasher

Seems to me the media has missed the main story here. 62% of the people in East Meath couldnt be bothered to vote, most likely as they know it will make no difference at all. Only the hardcore sheep vote came out. Apart from that the side story is that Labour got a taste of what is to come and the FF support is still alive and well despite them having destroyed this country.

Minder

Quote from: mylestheslasher on March 28, 2013, 09:00:41 PM
Seems to me the media has missed the main story here. 62% of the people in East Meath couldnt be bothered to vote, most likely as they know it will make no difference at all. Only the hardcore sheep vote came out. Apart from that the side story is that Labour got a taste of what is to come and the retard FF support is still alive and well despite them having destroyed this country.

Maybe the low turnout shows that the electorate is content with how things are going, as McGuinness said after a 37% turnout in West Belfast a couple of years ago.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Minder on March 28, 2013, 09:20:57 PM
Seems to me the media has missed the main story here. 62% of the people in East Meath couldnt be bothered to vote, most likely as they know it will make no difference at all. Only the hardcore sheep vote came out. Apart from that the side story is that Labour got a taste of what is to come and the retard FF support is still alive and well despite them having destroyed this country.

Maybe the low turnout shows that the electorate is content with how things are going, as McGuinness said after a 37% turnout in West Belfast a couple of years ago.
Is that what you think?

Minder

Quote from: mylestheslasher on March 28, 2013, 09:52:37 PM
Quote from: Minder on March 28, 2013, 09:20:57 PM

Is that what you think?

No I wasn't being serious, I don't think it's what McGuinness thought either. Low turnout is easily explained, people don't give a f**k about politics & don't trust politicians.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Maguire01

So which parties do best in getting their vote out on a low turnout? What would this result have looked like on a 60% turnout?

Dougal Maguire

Is it possible that many of those who didn't vote could be ex FF voters who defected to FG last time but couldn't find it their hearts to vote for them again but at the same time aren't ready yet to go back to voting FF?
Careful now

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Maguire01 on March 28, 2013, 10:45:03 PM
So which parties do best in getting their vote out on a low turnout? What would this result have looked like on a 60% turnout?

The hardcore party support turn out when there is a low turnout generally. The floaters, those with no allegiance etc didn't bother. Can't say I blame them. 38% turnout should send alarm bells ringing but instead all RTE focus on is that apparently we all agree with austerity.