European Indoor Athletics Championships

Started by magpie seanie, March 08, 2009, 01:50:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

Surprised that there's no thread here (or at least one I could find) dealing with these championships. Congrats once again to the brilliant Deval O'Rourke on her bronze medal. She really is a gutsy girl and has a fantastic temperament for the big occasion. The English girl who finished last in the final had been the fastest qualifier from the semis (7.96). O'Rourke produced a seasons best 7.97 in the final to get a medal. Fair play.

Today sees a chance for another medal for Sligo's very own Mary Cullen. Big things have been expected of her ever since she was a schoolkid but injuries have plagued her until now. I'm hopeful she'll bring a medal back to North Sligo.

Overall Ireland have done well with plenty of PB's and SB's. Obviously Gillicks misfortune was a big disappointment but huge credit to the team overall I'd say.

Billys Boots

Any news on Mary Cullen Seanie, she was very good in her semi last night?
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

magpie seanie

She's going in a few minutes. Live on BBC 2 and possibly Eurosport.

Billys Boots

Bronze for Sligo - she ran well, burnt off the favourite but hadn't enough left in her legs for the sprint.  Fair play.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

baoithe

You got there before me Billy. Delighted for her.

magpie seanie

Great stuff. Nearly got tripped by the Spaniard and got boxed in but when she cut loose she sorted them out. Surprised Alminova broke but she had a lot of races this weekend. Delighted for Mary Cullen, hope she goes from strength to strength. We've always known she had the class and now that she has had an injury free run she is proving it.

Owenmoresider

Yep, well done to Mary. Great result for her and hopefully more to come.

North Sligo obviously has better runners than it has footballers.

baoithe

Quote from: Owenmoresider on March 08, 2009, 04:41:41 PM

:D

Cue the Sheikh's arrival to the thread.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: baoithe on March 08, 2009, 05:45:28 PM
Quote from: Owenmoresider on March 08, 2009, 04:41:41 PM

:D

Cue the Sheikh's arrival to the thread.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz ::) from a Owenmore Gaels man thats rich. Ye only know how make banners, its about the only impact yeve made to sligo football that 97 banner, keep it up ;).

Didnt see this thread until now btw,

First of all Congrats to Mary, Did Sligo and Ireland proud. Shes in great form and breaking O Sullivans Irish record a while back and winning american colleges 3000m was definitly a good sign.

As Seanie said her progress has been hampered by injury, always had the talent, herself and Mark Smyth both left Ireland for America for scholarships when younger and had big hopes, both are serious talents but Mark is now onto pastures new because of injury. Know them both obviously and Michael Carney who is a excellent trainer and mentor and one of the nicest men ive ever met and delighted for him too. Mary is very strong mentally to go along with her great talent, this is just the begining as long as she stays fit.

Excellent stuff. Congrats to Dervala aswell.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Declan

Fair play to both the medallists - Great performances. Also that lassie from Waterford looks like a good prospect

Hound

Good run from Mary Cullen alright, and a great acheivement to get a medal. I havent heard what Treacy and Coghlan said about her, but I can't help feeling that she could have done even better if she'd gone to the front 3 or 4 laps earlier.

Roisin McGettigan ran a superb race and was quite unlucky to only get 4th in her final.

Hard luck too to the 4x400m girls who came home just outside the medals in a very respectable 4th place.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Hound on March 09, 2009, 08:29:44 AM
Good run from Mary Cullen alright, and a great acheivement to get a medal. I havent heard what Treacy and Coghlan said about her, but I can't help feeling that she could have done even better if she'd gone to the front 3 or 4 laps earlier.

Roisin McGettigan ran a superb race and was quite unlucky to only get 4th in her final.

Hard luck too to the 4x400m girls who came home just outside the medals in a very respectable 4th place.

I think she was interviewed on Newstalk where she said as much herself. She was trying to get out from the kerb to do so but got boxed in. Kiernan and Coghlan said the same.

Very impressed by our long jump girl too.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: magpie seanie on March 09, 2009, 09:44:26 AM
Quote from: Hound on March 09, 2009, 08:29:44 AM

I think she was interviewed on Newstalk where she said as much herself. She was trying to get out from the kerb to do so but got boxed in. Kiernan and Coghlan said the same.

Very impressed by our long jump girl too.

Id say there'll be a big well done in Sligo for her aswell (most deserved), pity I will miss it but I really feel there are bigger things ahead in outdoor aswell. The dedication this girl has given and hours running the roads in North Sligo its just reward for all the effort. Id admire atheletes that way, there training is done in alot of isolation and self motivation.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"