Live Aid Wembley and Philadelphia

Started by Captain Obvious, July 13, 2020, 01:49:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Obvious

35 years ago today.

Eamonnca1

Milltown Row2

We recorded them in. The VHS, god only knows where they ended up. Marvellous event! Still very fresh with me 35 years on! 13 years old  :-[
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

sid waddell

Queen were c***ts. Apartheid-propping up soup takers, music for people who hate music.

Bono's performance during Bad changed Ireland. It was quite shocking to see an Irishman get up there in front of the world without the merest trace of self doubt, and demonstrate in plain terms that U2 were the greatest band in the world. It was a remarkable, life changing performance, simultaneously full to the brim with anger and joy. He nailed it in outrageous fashion.

The decade of change in Ireland that was to follow started at that moment.

Captain Obvious

The live performance by Freddie Mercury was one of the highlights of that show. One of the best ever vocalists with stage presence second to none.

quit yo jibbajabba

So, Queen - c*nts. Music for people who hate music.
Bono/U2 - changed Ireland.

I have no words.

There was a 2 parter on Geldof/Live Aid started on bbc2 last night seemed pretty decent

BennyCake

Did Bono start the Celtic Tiger too?
I suppose he was responsible for Ireland getting to the Euros and two World Cups?

Jesus he's some boyo  ;D

Taylor

It was a super show all round.

Love watching it again - harks back to much simpler times

BennyCake

Apparently the sound at Wembley that day was horrendous. The shape and design of the stadium wasn't right for a gig. Sound was bouncing all over the place.

I was only a youngster but it was a big deal. Would love to see it all again.

Armamike

It was something else.  Remember Phil Collins playing at Wembley, then flying by Concorde to play Philadelphia the same day.  Had the legendary older acts, McCartney, Beach Boys, Bowie, etc. sharing the stage with the bands of the time.  U2 and Queen are remembered by most people. Had the chance to see Queen at Slane in 86 but wasn't into them at the time and turned down a ticket. What a mistake.  Whether you liked their music or not was immaterial.  Just to see Freddie Mercury perform.
That's just, like your opinion man.

mouview

Quote from: sid waddell on July 14, 2020, 12:35:30 AM
Queen were c***ts. Apartheid-propping up soup takers, music for people who hate music.

Bono's performance during Bad changed Ireland. It was quite shocking to see an Irishman get up there in front of the world without the merest trace of self doubt, and demonstrate in plain terms that U2 were the greatest band in the world. It was a remarkable, life changing performance, simultaneously full to the brim with anger and joy. He nailed it in outrageous fashion.

A good take on it. For all their popularity, Bohemian Rhapsody aside, Queen were a musically largely-irrelevant band I've always thought. Loved by the kind of people who read the Sunday World and play darts in the pubs on Sunday afternoons.

BennyCake

Bar a few tunes, in the early to mid 80's (and Boh Rhap), the rest of Queen's stuff is terrible.

Captain Obvious

A few tunes and terrible 🤔

Killer queen, Somebody to love, We are the champions, Don't stop me now, Fat bottomed girl etc hits during in the 70s,  Another one bites the dust, Under pressure, I want it all, Radio ga ga to name but a few in the 80s and before Freddie past away in the early 90s they had hits such as Innuendo and the show must go on.

charlieTully

Quote from: sid waddell on July 14, 2020, 12:35:30 AM

You could say the exact same about u2. Music for the brown shoed shirt tuckers.

magpie seanie

Geldof changed a good bit since then.