Messi or Ronaldo - Who's best

Started by toby47, March 14, 2019, 11:29:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Messi or Ronaldo - Who's best

Lionel Messi
Cristiano Ronaldo

Armagh18

Quote from: David McKeown on December 14, 2022, 10:39:33 PM
I don't even think either are the best footballer of the past 20 years. It's all subjective mind and will never be settled.
Depends what criteria you use I suppose. If Ronaldinho had the mentality of Ronaldo he'd have been the best ever without a doubt.

Never beat the deeler

I don't even think either are the best footballer of the past 20 years. It's all subjective mind and will never be settled.

you can't say that without putting forward who you believe is better!
Hasta la victoria siempre

David McKeown

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on December 14, 2022, 11:58:37 PM

you can't say that without putting forward who you believe is better!

Well it doesn't really matter but I always felt Xavi was the best footballer of the last 20 years because I feel he changed the game more than any other. I'm sure not many will agree but that's my point about it being subjective and not capable of being settled.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

GiveItToTheShooters

Xavi better than Messi. f**k me I've heard it all now

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on December 15, 2022, 12:22:22 AM
Xavi better than Messi. f**k me I've heard it all now

Different positions so pointless.

Xavi redefined the holding midfield role. Messi is just the best in as established position.

The argument is was Xavi better than his peers like Scholes or even Zidane. Not Messi

seafoid

Messi won 4 Champions League with Barcelona. Ronaldo won  6 with Real AFAIK.
That's 10 plus there were 2 bonus Ballons.
The 2 were undoubtedly talented but they also surfed a structural wave of concentrated sporting  power which did not exist in the 70s-90s and is replicated in Man City, PSG , Limerick hurlers and the Dub 6 in a row.

Starring Mayo as Atletico Madrid.
Messi and Ronaldo had the best access but that doesn't mean they are better than someone who played in a different system.

These conditions where 2 teams dominate over 15 years may not be repeated.

And poor Ronaldo really struggles with the dying of the light.

It's like you're screaming,
And no one can hear.
You almost feel ashamed
That someone could be that important,
That without them, you feel like nothing.
No one will ever understand how much it hurts.
You feel hopeless, like nothing can save you.
And when it's over, and it's gone,
You almost wish that you could have all that bad stuff back,
So that you could have the good.

https://youtu.be/tg00YEETFzg

lenny

Quote from: JimStynes on December 14, 2022, 05:51:17 PM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on December 14, 2022, 05:15:58 PM
Depends the age of posters on here. I notice the majority don't seem to remember the outlawing of tackling from behind which changed the sport from the defender to forwards advantage. I still have Maradona over either. Both played for strong club teams with alot great players round them. Maradona hadn't much with him at Napoli but done rightly. I have messi slightly ahead of Ronaldo but not by a lot.

He only scored about 100 goals for Napoli.  And his career was down the pan after that. The nostalgia of Maradona definitely sways people. If it was a favourite player then I'd maybe have the likes of him  and Ronaldinho but for best it has to be Messi and Ronaldo. The goals they've scored in the best competitions in the world is ridiculous. Ronaldo's is even more impressive considering he started as a winger and scored in all leagues. It'll be 10 and 20 years after they are retired that people will really appreciate them!

Maradona played at a time when defenders got away with a lot more and there were fewer goals scored overall especially in Italy. For me he is still the best. Messi and Ronaldo are both the best of the current generation and will go down as all time greats. Their goalscoring records are incredible. Xavi was a great player, as was iniesta alongside him but they're not in the top echelons like Pele, Cruyff, Best, Zidane, Maradona, the 2 Ronaldos, Jimmy Johnstone and Messi.

Armagh18

Quote from: seafoid on December 15, 2022, 05:12:27 AM
The 2 were undoubtedly talented but they also surfed a structural wave of concentrated sporting  power which did not exist in the 70s-90s and is replicated in Man City, PSG , Limerick hurlers and the Dub 6 in a row.

Messi and Ronaldo had the best access but that doesn't mean they are better than someone who played in a different system.

And no one can hear.
You almost feel ashamed

Think Ronaldo got 1 at United where he was instrumental obviously, then did 4 in 5 years with Madrid where he scored a ridiculous amount. Mess has one with Barca from years ago where he didn't really feature, then the 2 where they beat United in finals where he was absolutely superb and then another one with Neymar and Suarez, 2015 maybe where again he was excellent. No doubt both benefitted hugely from brilliant supporting casts- Rooney, Tevez, Eto, Xavi, Iniesta, Modric, Benzema etc etc.

pbat

Ronaldo became the player he was mainly based on his athleticism, pure power. Messi was far more naturally skilled.

Quote from: Armagh18 on December 15, 2022, 07:30:42 AM
Quote from: seafoid on December 15, 2022, 05:12:27 AM

And no one can hear.
You almost feel ashamed

Think Ronaldo got 1 at United where he was instrumental obviously, then did 4 in 5 years with Madrid where he scored a ridiculous amount. Mess has one with Barca from years ago where he didn't really feature, then the 2 where they beat United in finals where he was absolutely superb and then another one with Neymar and Suarez, 2015 maybe where again he was excellent. No doubt both benefitted hugely from brilliant supporting casts- Rooney, Tevez, Eto, Xavi, Iniesta, Modric, Benzema etc etc.

Messi featured heavily in 2006 but pulled his hamstring before the final against arsenal

tonto1888

Quote from: JimStynes on December 14, 2022, 03:57:58 PM
Serious Maradona nostalgia! He didn't play anywhere near as long as Messi, his stats are nowhere near as impressive as Messi or Ronaldo, was caught on drugs and all sorts and played for some seriously crap teams. Although his peak was something else and he is the loveable rogue type character but for me he's 3rd after Messi and Ronaldo. Messi's actually shown a bit of a nasty streak in him during this tournament which is great to see!

Zidane is the level below along with the likes of the Real Ronaldo.

I would say if R9 didnt suffer the injuries he did there would be no debate. He had absolutely everything

tonto1888

Quote from: pbat on December 15, 2022, 07:55:37 AM
Ronaldo became the player he was mainly based on his athleticism, pure power. Messi was far more naturally skilled.

this is why I think Messi is better

Milltown Row2

Quote from: tonto1888 on December 15, 2022, 12:32:00 PM

this is why I think Messi is better

So it would be fair to say that they are 2 different players with amazing stats and records, so personal choice is ok.

Personally I love how messi plays, but I loved Ronaldo's drive.. As David said earlier he's into the midfield players and what they did for the team, they load the bullets for these guys, they are the ones I preferred watching
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Armagh18

That argument does both players injustice. Young Ronaldo was absolutely electric to watch and had natural ability to burn.

RedHand88