Tyrone vs Armagh - 3rd June 7pm - Healy Park, Omagh.

Started by samuel maguire, May 31, 2023, 10:37:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildweasel74

You can't play all out, attack against Galway, they probably the most defensive team outside of Derry but have more counter attacking threat. Play open against them, they put 10pts on you.

David McKeown

Quote from: naka on June 03, 2023, 10:56:50 PM
What happened with the jarly og incident and the two Tyrone guys
It looked a third man tackle to take him out
Maybe I was wrong but how did Tyrone get a free from it ?

As an aside it was a horrible match,
Canavan , mc curry and murnin only ones  with pass marks

Poor refereeing. Two Tyrone players collide taking out an Armagh defender near the Armagh goal whilst Armagh were defending. Should have at least been a stop play and allow the player in possession to have one of those unscorable frees. Strangely 10 minutes later he did immediately stop play with Armagh attacking.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Redhand Santa

I enjoyed the first half and thought Tyrone played decent football with some great scores from McCurry canavan Hampsey and Donnelly. Disappointing second half, would have liked to have seen us push on more. Also pity ruairi canavan didn't nail his scores to get him going. Darragh stood up when it mattered.

Tyrone teams in past have improved as championship in past have improved with games and hopefully that's case this year. Few boys including McCurry were out on their feet with ten to go yesterday. I still worry about our sub bench.

Thought mattie mckernan McCurry and canavan impressive overall. O'Neill after lot of criticism was fairly solid.

Steps

Quote from: trueblue1234 on June 03, 2023, 10:59:13 PM
Just a collision. Two Tyrone players hit each other and then Kennedy I think collided with Burns. The free was for the foul in by the sideline. Ref didn't stop for the collisions.

Should have been a free out to Armagh regardless

tonto1888

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on June 03, 2023, 11:32:48 PM
I can't work out of 5 times a down man or Armagh man, presume Down with his love of Armagh on this lol.

A down person masquerading as an Armagh person on an Armagh forum

Walter Cronc

His father tormented us for years but jeez Darragh Canavan is a talent! Joy to watch. Bit of bite about him too like the da..no bad thing

BrotherMore6592

Quote from: screenexile on June 03, 2023, 11:50:34 PM
Quote from: BrotherMore6592 on June 03, 2023, 10:28:29 PM
The mayo / arsenal of ulster strike again.

Had it on a plate for them in the ulster final a man up in ET and completely filled them.

"This is our year "
"Geezer has it right this time"
"We've the best attacking 6 in the country"
The orange brigade in full force like Millwall.

Yawn.

4 times since 2002 lads, that's what the stars on the sleeves are in case you forgot.

Form is temporary, class is permanent

And Tyrone aren't even in the top 4 teams in the country, so god knows how your AI was gonna come this year.

Lad that "stars" nonsense is the most ridiculous thing in the GAA... Tyrone have won 4 all Irelands so they have 4 stars, should Kerry have 38 stars on their geansaí? Dublin 30? As far as I can see it's reserved for Tyrone jerseys only unless someone can show me others the same?

It's England soccer nonsense and I'd love to hear a coherent explanation as to why they're there if anyone can give one.

You'll not see one round draperstown anytime soon anyway boss , we'll send you a jersey

trueblue1234

Quote from: Steps on June 04, 2023, 07:32:02 AM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on June 03, 2023, 10:59:13 PM
Just a collision. Two Tyrone players hit each other and then Kennedy I think collided with Burns. The free was for the foul in by the sideline. Ref didn't stop for the collisions.

Should have been a free out to Armagh regardless

Why? It was a collision. Tyrone were in possession iirc. Unintentional contact by both Tyrone and Armagh player. He should have stopped play tho.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

skeog

Mc Geeney condoning Rian O Neills knee to the head what can you do if a mans holding a jersey.The most over rated manager who has won nothing in 15 years as a manager.

tonto1888

Quote from: skeog on June 04, 2023, 08:34:25 AM
Mc Geeney condoning Rian O Neills knee to the head what can you do if a mans holding a jersey.The most over rated manager who has won nothing in 15 years as a manager.

he didnt say that did he?

trueblue1234

Quote from: screenexile on June 03, 2023, 11:50:34 PM
Quote from: BrotherMore6592 on June 03, 2023, 10:28:29 PM
The mayo / arsenal of ulster strike again.

Had it on a plate for them in the ulster final a man up in ET and completely filled them.

"This is our year "
"Geezer has it right this time"
"We've the best attacking 6 in the country"
The orange brigade in full force like Millwall.

Yawn.

4 times since 2002 lads, that's what the stars on the sleeves are in case you forgot.

Form is temporary, class is permanent

And Tyrone aren't even in the top 4 teams in the country, so god knows how your AI was gonna come this year.

Lad that "stars" nonsense is the most ridiculous thing in the GAA... Tyrone have won 4 all Irelands so they have 4 stars, should Kerry have 38 stars on their geansaí? Dublin 30? As far as I can see it's reserved for Tyrone jerseys only unless someone can show me others the same?

It's England soccer nonsense and I'd love to hear a coherent explanation as to why they're there if anyone can give one.

Rumour has it Derry's doing the same thing, only instead of stars they're using county crests.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Ed Ricketts

Posted this elsewhere, but it took 25 mins to type to it's going here too. Some random thoughts on that game:

There seemed to be a consensus around me in the stand that we were all watching two poor teams. Some basic skill execution was shocking - balls kicked over the sideline, misplaced 5 yard hand passes, dodgy kick outs, really poor wides. While other contenders have been underwhelming in these group games, it's still difficult to see either Armagh or Tyrone going further than the quarter finals without huge improvement.

We're 13 proper games into this season, and it still doesn't look like Armagh are close to finding a winning balance in their brand of football. They remain fine defensively, but I have yet to get a sense that there's any sort of structure or plan going forward. It's all very pedestrian and off the cuff, get the ball to O'Neill in the 'shooting pocket', or take a pot shot, or run down a blind alley. This has been the biggest disappointment of the year.

That red card was in the post all year. Rian has been running around like a grumpy heure giving sneaky digs in pretty much every game to date. He gets an awful lot of abuse himself of course, but that doesn't excuse his own behaviour. This has been his poorest year in an Armagh jersey, and he has capped that by letting everyone down yesterday evening. Someone needs to have a word.

It was a bit mad that Armagh were a desperate fly-hacked clearance away from nicking a draw, despite being largely woeful, and despite playing for about 50 mins with 14 men. A lot of that is down to how nervous a very mediocre Tyrone were on the night, but some of it is also due to the valiant efforts of a few Armagh men. Duffy, Murnin and Grugan put in serious shifts for fellas that must have known they were probably chasing a lost cause.

Would love to know what the plan was on that last 50. Only a goal would do, so why was the ball tipped over the bar? Why was it Rafferty collecting it short, instead of making a nuisance of himself around the square? Tyrone were jittery as shite at that stage, who knows what might have happened with a decent high ball landed in.

Poor enough evening for Aiden Forker in the FB line. Perhaps it's time to give him a swansong back in the forward line? It feels like he is no longer a better defensive solution than bench options like Paddy Burns or Barry McCambridge, and I'd like to think he could add some creativity to the misfiring forward line. Soupy Campbell confirmed again this evening that he provides much more impact off the bench, so there is probably an open spot in the HF line. I think it's worth a try.

Understandable that Armagh dropped off the Tyrone kick-outs when a man down (at least until they went for broke in the last 10 mins). But I didn't understand the plan before that. Some kick-outs were fully pressed, others were sort of pressed with one/two Tyrone man left free, and yet others weren't really pressed at all. It almost looks like some weird hybrid system to keep the opponent guessing - either that, or the intention actually is to fully press but it's just really poorly executed by the players. It's definitely frustrating to watch.

Hard to see where Armagh's season sparks from here. They've looked really flat the last two weeks. Energy levels, concentration, discipline all way down on the Ulster final performance. The optimist in me wants to believe that these group stage games have been sacrificed so that the knock out games can be hit with renewed focus, but that's looking a hard sell right now. It feels like things are just drifting a bit, and a feeble ending to the year is just around the corner. We continue to live in hope though, there's still something there if it all clicked properly.

Finally, any chat about the management is futile at this stage of the year. Sure they could probably be doing some things better, and I'm certain there will be a thorough evaluation of the situation at the end of the season. But I'd caution those in Armagh baying for replacement to be careful what you wish for...

The current group of players didn't just land into McGeeney's lap - over many, many years he has crafted a team that has now reached a level where they are consistently competitive with the best in the country (nowhere near a given for a county like Armagh). In the absence of any sort of conveyor belt of underage talent over the last decade, resources have had to maximised and intercounty players have had to be moulded from what was available. There are men putting in good shifts for Armagh at the top level who probably wouldn't be near intercounty football under any other management - it's from these efforts that the county has its modest amount of squad depth. When the current management team does depart, which may be soon enough, it will very likely precipitate the retirement of up to half a dozen playing stalwarts. Armagh will then enter a rebuilding phase, and with little to shout about recently at underage, school, or club level, it looks not at all unlikely that the only way for the county will be down (or, Down - like in languishing in Div 3 and going nowhere fast). Anyone that thinks Armagh hit the next level just by landing Oisin McConville, or Tony McEntee, or Malachy O'Rourke in on top of the current playing group isn't living in the real world.
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.

tyroneman

Another curates egg game from Tyrone. There was little between the teams in first half other than Armagh's shooting was off and Tyrone's eye was in (and with some great points taken as well).

Obviously sticking very rigidly to a game plan it was a case of methodically grinding out the scores, added to some good defensive work. Nothing spectacular. Keep efficient in the heat and do your job.

Sending off didn't really help that much. Imho, RoN, who is as talented a player as there is in Ireland, has had that red card coming a long time. He's at those snide fouls any game I've seen him play recently and been lucky enough to get away with them. Today he got caught and the ref had enough balls to send him off. Sin é. Hopefully someone will have a word as he has repeat All Star ability.

BBC quote Mc Geeney as saying:

"I didn't see it but Rian feels he was pulled down by the jersey on top. Iwill see it first, but if what he says is true we will definitely support him,". Getting a leg pulled does not justify putting knees on head. It will tell a lot if McGeeney sees the footage and still defends him (or not).

Would have preferred the shot off the post to have gone in instead just beforehand, as from that point on Tyrone went into game management mode rather than press on and put Armagh to the sword and boy did it nearly cost dear at the end. They seem incapable of utilising an extra man to any advantage.

Terrible decision making throughout, especially in second half where there were men making great runs through on goal but the ball carriers failed to pass and took much more difficult (and selfish) shots themselves.

And by the by, anyone from Armagh talking about Peter Harte taking extra steps should watch RoN take a free - steals at least 5-10 every time. Took a 20m free and only kicked it at the edge of the big square at one point.  And yes, I'm aware 99% of free takers do it to an extent...just that his extent is double anyone else's.

tonto1888

Quote from: tyroneman on June 04, 2023, 10:54:43 AM
Another curates egg game from Tyrone. There was little between the teams in first half other than Armagh's shooting was off and Tyrone's eye was in (and with some great points taken as well).

Obviously sticking very rigidly to a game plan it was a case of methodically grinding out the scores, added to some good defensive work. Nothing spectacular. Keep efficient in the heat and do your job.

Sending off didn't really help that much. Imho, RoN, who is as talented a player as there is in Ireland, has had that red card coming a long time. He's at those snide fouls any game I've seen him play recently and been lucky enough to get away with them. Today he got caught and the ref had enough balls to send him off. Sin é. Hopefully someone will have a word as he has All Star ability.

Would have preferred the shot off the post to have gone in instead just beforehand, as from that point on Tyrone went into game management mode rather than press on and put Armagh to the sword and boy did it nearly cost dear at the end. They seem incapable of utilising an extra man to any advantage.

Terrible decision making throughout, especially in second half where there were men making great runs through on goal but the ball carriers failed to pass and took much more difficult (and selfish) shots themselves.

And by the by, anyone from Armagh talking about Peter Harte taking extra steps should watch RoN take a free - steals at keast 5-10 every time. Took a 20m free and only kicked it at the edge of the big square at one point.

I mentioned Harte's steps. It wasnt aimed at him in particular, he was just the example I used form the video posted. The ONeill free you talk about I think was a 13m free he just started a few metres back. He does steal yards all the time though. Same as every other free taker there is

square_ball

The steps from frees has become a bit of a bug bear of mine. It's the same with the mark as well it's never taken from there the mark is taken. Simple solution is get a can of that spray they use in the Premier League and mark the spot where the free is. Problem solved.