Sam Maguire Group 2 - Galway, Armagh, Tyrone, Westmeath

Started by GAABoardMod5, May 23, 2023, 08:26:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orior

This Ulster Final hang-over thingy.

So when Nugent was shooting for a point, mid-kick he thought "ah the Ulster Final" and then kicked it into the keeper's hand?

Near the end of the game, as Rafferty was kicking the ball out he thought "ah the Ulster Final" and kicked it into the hands of a Westmeath player?

Hmmm, not sure.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Redhand Santa

Quote from: bennydorano on May 30, 2023, 02:31:17 PM
I think we are on a sticky wicket here, go full pelt and get beat and there's another pick me up required for Galway. I'm honestly not sure we'd be any worse off by tanking both games and concentrating on the preliminary QF. It's not going to happen tho but the 'professional' approach would be to play the percentages and do just that. It'll be clearer after this weekend I suppose, we could be vying for top spot or anxiously watching Westmeath's last game, Westmeath not being whipping boys could certainly complicate things.

Sounds like a ridiculous idea. If Armagh win one of the two games they'll finish second in the group. That will give them a home tie and avoid Kerry and Dublin/Roscommon in the preliminary quarter finals. If they win both games they'd be straight into the quarter final.

Lose both and they will at best come third in the group (could even go out if Westmeath beat Tyrone). That will mean an away tie to Kerry or Dublin/Roscommon or Derry/Monaghan.

There's 3 weeks from the Tyrone game to the preliminary quarter finals.

tonto1888

I think we are on a sticky wicket here, go full pelt and get beat and there's another pick me up required for Galway. I'm honestly not sure we'd be any worse off by tanking both games and concentrating on the preliminary QF. It's not going to happen tho but the 'professional' approach would be to play the percentages and do just that. It'll be clearer after this weekend I suppose, we could be vying for top spot or anxiously watching Westmeath's last game, Westmeath not being whipping boys could certainly complicate things.

I dont think we can afford to tank any game. Say Tyrone give us a trimming this weekend and WM pull off a shock result against Galway, we would be in bother going in to the final game

Redhand Santa

Quote from: tonto1888 on May 30, 2023, 02:47:17 PM

I dont think we can afford to tank any game. Say Tyrone give us a trimming this weekend and WM pull off a shock result against Galway, we would be in bother going in to the final game

If Tyrone gave Armagh a trimming this weekend and knew Galway were beating Armagh well on the last day they could afford to lose narrowly to Westmeath and still come second whilst knocking Armagh out.

statto

Quote from: Orior on May 30, 2023, 02:36:28 PM

So when Nugent was shooting for a point, mid-kick he thought "ah the Ulster Final" and then kicked it into the keeper's hand?

Near the end of the game, as Rafferty was kicking the ball out he thought "ah the Ulster Final" and kicked it into the hands of a Westmeath player?

Hmmm, not sure.
Nugent after his displays this season will be doing well to see any game time this week, form has fallen off a cliff and the fact that hes joint captain probably got him the start the last day.  The use of Conaty has been strange, he quit full time soccer with portadown didn't see any meaningful gametime during the league then hes sprung from the bench in an ulster final and gets no minutes again last week when chasing the game for the most part.  Use of Cian McConville or lack of also strange given how poor Nugent has been. 

yellowcard

Hmmm, not sure.

I'm not sure anyone claimed that poor skill execution had anything to do with an Ulster final hangover. However there is no doubt in my mind that there was some mental fatigue carried over from that match. Players are not totally immune to the what ifs and post mortems that will have circulated since the Ulster final. 

naka

would keep soupy on the bench
changes
i would give mc quillan, cumisky and turbit a chance
lets go for it
nc cambridge and mc partland to also start

rafferty
mc kay, forker mc cabe
o neill, mc cambridge, burns
mackin and mc partland
grugan, o neill, cumiskey
turbitt, murnin mc quillan

run at them and use quick ball,

seafoid

Hmmm, not sure.
Ulster Final hang-over is code for Geezer
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

tonto1888

Quote from: seafoid on May 30, 2023, 04:19:17 PM

Hmmm, not sure.
Ulster Final hang-over is code for Geezer

Wasnt Geezer who kicked the ball into the keepers hands or out over the sideline

bennydorano

While Conor O'Neill us an automatic choice in my defence I didn't think him at CHB worked that great. Its glaringly obvious that McCabe is our best option at CHB. I expressed doubts about McCambridge's pace during the NFL & i thought he looked exposed on Saturday tbh. The thoughts of him picking up a Canavan or McCurry gives me the chills.

Armamike

Quote from: yellowcard on May 30, 2023, 03:44:22 PM

Hmmm, not sure.

I'm not sure anyone claimed that poor skill execution had anything to do with an Ulster final hangover. However there is no doubt in my mind that there was some mental fatigue carried over from that match. Players are not totally immune to the what ifs and post mortems that will have circulated since the Ulster final.

Not an excuse for a sub par performance last weekend but the manner of the Ulster final defeat was devastating for the players and I wouldn't be surprised if  few of them at least didn't want to see a football for a while.   
That's just, like your opinion man.

lurganblue

Quote from: statto on May 30, 2023, 03:01:26 PM

Hmmm, not sure.
Nugent after his displays this season will be doing well to see any game time this week, form has fallen off a cliff and the fact that hes joint captain probably got him the start the last day.  The use of Conaty has been strange, he quit full time soccer with portadown didn't see any meaningful gametime during the league then hes sprung from the bench in an ulster final and gets no minutes again last week when chasing the game for the most part.  Use of Cian McConville or lack of also strange given how poor Nugent has been.

I'm actually surprised McConville has remained in the squad as i am sure he is ragin.

yellowcard

Quote from: lurganblue on May 31, 2023, 10:22:39 AM

Hmmm, not sure.

I'm actually surprised McConville has remained in the squad as i am sure he is ragin.

He has been around the squad a few years now yet I don't recall him playing very much at all. You can look at that a few different ways. He has been arguably the best club footballer in Armagh for the last 2 seasons and should be getting a chance. He isn't producing in training and isn't up to the level of a senior inter county footballer. Or he just doesn't fit the profile of footballer required to fit into the Armagh game plan. I think it is probably the latter as I think he is a very talented footballer.

Nugent has been below par all season but he is a stronger, physical more robust player who will work backwards. Duffy and Hall are other players who can do the defensive work required in Armaghs system. Both players have been decent during this championship and it is a very unglamorous role that they fulfill yet supporters still expect them to kick 2 or 3 points a game when they have a forwards jersey on their backs.   

naka

Think Nugent has lost a burst of pace which is making him easier to mark.
Mc quillan and turbitt need to start and play rian on the forty .
Would swap Duffy and play  cumisky  also

Armagh18

Quote from: yellowcard on May 31, 2023, 11:38:42 AM
Quote from: lurganblue on May 31, 2023, 10:22:39 AM

Hmmm, not sure.

He has been around the squad a few years now yet I don't recall him playing very much at all. You can look at that a few different ways. He has been arguably the best club footballer in Armagh for the last 2 seasons and should be getting a chance. He isn't producing in training and isn't up to the level of a senior inter county footballer. Or he just doesn't fit the profile of footballer required to fit into the Armagh game plan. I think it is probably the latter as I think he is a very talented footballer.

Nugent has been below par all season but he is a stronger, physical more robust player who will work backwards. Duffy and Hall are other players who can do the defensive work required in Armaghs system. Both players have been decent during this championship and it is a very unglamorous role that they fulfill yet supporters still expect them to kick 2 or 3 points a game when they have a forwards jersey on their backs.   
I'd be giving Cian his chance. Has the ability so throw him in.

Duffy and Hall get through a crazy amount of work that you probably only appreciate when you're there