Kerry Club Football

Started by mad tan, January 17, 2023, 07:07:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ciarrai_thuaidh

So timeline roughly would be along the lines of:
Late Jan/Early Feb: Divisional leagues start - usually 4/5 games done before County league start and finals played before Summer
Around Paddys day: County league starts. 11 games up to Autumn. 3 up/3 down each division.
Senior/Intermediate club/Junior club championships: Round robin games start April and played off in a month. Semis/Finals on hold until Kerry finish.
County Senior Championship: Starts after Kerry finish. Ran off in 6 weeks or so usually.
Divisional championships: Start in October in my part of the world, earlier possibly elsewhere. North Kerry finals would reguarly be on Stephens day or around Christmas. There would be 3000+ at these finals too most years. Huge interest locally.
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

Armagh18

Eire90

I think every county championship should be straight knockout for counties with less than 16 teams you could use league positions to get byes or seeds so league becomes meaningful.

shark

Quote from: Eire90 on January 18, 2023, 12:45:57 PM
I think every county championship should be straight knockout for counties with less than 16 teams you could use league positions to get byes or seeds so league becomes meaningful.

Yes , fewer games of significance , that's exactly what players want.

Newbridge Exile

Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on January 18, 2023, 11:08:02 AM
Someone needs to do a mini series or documentary on the Kerry club football structure at this stage!!  ;D

One of the old threads from 2019 had plenty good explanation on it in fairness.

The main by products of the whole thing that stand out to me are
1.Every club player in the county, regardless of level, gets a chance to play in County Senior championship and
2.Average Kerry club player gets a guaranteed 20 games a year due to the structure. County league (taken seriously), County club championship (Senior, Intermediate, Premier Junior, Junior), County Senior championship, Divisional leagues (North Kerry league, south Kerry league etc), Divisional championships - played at end of year.

If anyone wants to ask anything about it work away and I'll do my best though.
What is the difference between Junior and Premier Junior (and which one did Fossa win

magpie seanie

Quote from: Armagh18 on January 18, 2023, 12:09:42 PM
Not much of break for lads!

Break? If you give lads a break they'll find another sport to play! People love playing games.

twohands!!!

Quote from: Armagh18 on January 18, 2023, 11:23:18 AM
Although the leagues are very competitive and taken seriously for the most part, as they are linked to following years championship. only 8 teams in the division means less dead rubbers towards the end.

I think with the split-season every county would benefit from breaking the link between league and championship in terms of the issue of missing county players and scheduling.

The league affecting the championship seems to cause a lot of problems to no great benefit in those counties where it is in operation.

With so many counties getting so many intercounty championship games under the new intercounty structure, there is likely to be a good stretch of time when intercounty players are unavailable to their club especially at a time of year when conditions are perfect for football.

It's not like the old days when the championship was straight knock-out and half the 16 counties has one championsip game and 8 had two.

I think the league/championship link has more negatives than positives nowadays.

You might need to restructure county leagues in terms of size of divisions/increase the number of relegated/promoted teams to avoid dead rubbers at the end and add a relegation structure to the championships but that's a fairly easy fix overall.

Dabh

Someone needs to do a mini series or documentary on the Kerry club football structure at this stage!!  ;D

1.Every club player in the county, regardless of level, gets a chance to play in County Senior championship and
2.Average Kerry club player gets a guaranteed 20 games a year due to the structure. County league (taken seriously), County club championship (Senior, Intermediate, Premier Junior, Junior, Novice ), County Senior championship, Divisional leagues (North Kerry league, south Kerry league etc), Divisional championships - played at end of year.

All I want to ask is how the feck ye get the time lol. Better than the system here though where theres only 14 league games and then straight knockout championship. Lot of training for little amount of games. Although the leagues are very competitive and taken seriously for the most part, as they are linked to following years championship. only 8 teams in the division means less dead rubbers towards the end.

you forgot the Novice Championship ( easy done in fairness)

Armagh18

Quote from: shark on January 18, 2023, 01:25:50 PM

From experience round robin championship games are shite. Play more league games surely but nothing beats the buzz of knock out football.

Armagh18

Quote from: twohands!!! on January 18, 2023, 02:04:43 PM
Although the leagues are very competitive and taken seriously for the most part, as they are linked to following years championship. only 8 teams in the division means less dead rubbers towards the end.

I think with the split-season every county would benefit from breaking the link between league and championship in terms of the issue of missing county players and scheduling.

The league affecting the championship seems to cause a lot of problems to no great benefit in those counties where it is in operation.

With so many counties getting so many intercounty championship games under the new intercounty structure, there is likely to be a good stretch of time when intercounty players are unavailable to their club especially at a time of year when conditions are perfect for football.

It's not like the old days when the championship was straight knock-out and half the 16 counties has one championsip game and 8 had two.

I think the league/championship link has more negatives than positives nowadays.

You might need to restructure county leagues in terms of size of divisions/increase the number of relegated/promoted teams to avoid dead rubbers at the end and add a relegation structure to the championships but that's a fairly easy fix overall.
Works really well in Armagh although I do take your point re not having county men available. I know locally it has affected Forkhill who ended up in junior football while they had 3 lads on the county team although they won the championship in 2020. Same has happened Cullyhanna relegated to intermediate last year after not having their 3 county men for most of the league.

Rossfan

Quote from: Armagh18 on January 18, 2023, 02:11:51 PM

From experience round robin championship games are shite. Play more league games surely but nothing beats the buzz of knock out football.
Not much "buzz" for the 50% of players who only get one game.
All Counties have knock out  Championship from Quarter Finals on.
Having Groups first helps to avoid one sided hammerings in the knock out.
Having Club Leagues deciding Championsip status seems a particular peculiarity up North*.
It's can hardly continue now with County lads nit available for League games.

* A version of this is now employed in the Inter County scene.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

trueblue1234

Ciarrai_thuaidh Can I ask how are the divisional teams managed? Do the club teams send people forward for selection? Or does management do the selecting from the available club panels? Would there be many rows over players not selected?
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

imtommygunn

This was tried in Antrim hurling. Didn't really have legs and wouldn't be an easy thing to make work.

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Quote from: Dabh on January 18, 2023, 02:06:29 PM

2.Average Kerry club player gets a guaranteed 20 games a year due to the structure. County league (taken seriously), County club championship (Senior, Intermediate, Premier Junior, Junior, Novice ), County Senior championship, Divisional leagues (North Kerry league, south Kerry league etc), Divisional championships - played at end of year.

All I want to ask is how the feck ye get the time lol. Better than the system here though where theres only 14 league games and then straight knockout championship. Lot of training for little amount of games. Although the leagues are very competitive and taken seriously for the most part, as they are linked to following years championship. only 8 teams in the division means less dead rubbers towards the end.

you forgot the Novice Championship ( easy done in fairness)

No I didn't, you just didn't do your research!

Novice was renamed 2/3 years ago to Junior. Grades are as I posted.
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

Armagh18

Quote from: Rossfan on January 18, 2023, 06:47:26 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on January 18, 2023, 02:11:51 PM

Not much "buzz" for the 50% of players who only get one game.
All Counties have knock out  Championship from Quarter Finals on.
Having Groups first helps to avoid one sided hammerings in the knock out.
Having Club Leagues deciding Championsip status seems a particular peculiarity up North*.
It's can hardly continue now with County lads nit available for League games.

* A version of this is now employed in the Inter County scene.
Works for us and Tyrone, all round exciting championships. Speaking from experience I've never liked bsck doors or round robins just dont think it is championship football