All Ireland club football championships 2023/24

Started by Blowitupref, January 06, 2023, 09:18:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taylor

Quote from: thewobbler on January 24, 2023, 11:05:08 AM
Quote from: gallsman on January 24, 2023, 10:50:59 AM
Quote from: thewobbler on January 24, 2023, 10:43:55 AM

It's so f**king typical of GAA player and management thought processes. Lose a match? Blame anyone and everyone but yourselves.

Would you ever f**k off with this nonsense. Glen have done absolutely nothing wrong here - there are no sour grapes. Don't try and pretend you're talking about it in a general sense.

Glen actually have done something wrong. They've issued a woe is us statement on Twitter instead of launching an injection.

——

Apart from that Glen have handled this with tremendous grace to date.

It's the legions of keyboard warriors with an agenda against a large Dublin club, who are determined to fling muck at anyone and everyone until the "little guy" gets a replay, that's who've donned the "it's always someone else's fault" mantra.

Normally your posts are very good wobbler but I think you have got this very wrong.

Glen issued a statement on the matter and you saying it is wrongdoing?

The rules were broken which may have impacted the outcome of a game - people rightly call this out and you have them down as legion of keyboard warriors?

Would you prefer no one mention it and it is swept under the carpet?

Im not sure what your thought process is. Do you think nothing should come of it and result stands?

OakLeaf

Quote from: seafoid on January 24, 2023, 11:10:03 AM
Rule 6.44 refers to both fielding too many substitutes as well as having more than 15 players on the pitch. Penalties range, "depending on circumstances" from fines to a rematch being ordered to forfeiture by the offending team. The GAAboard is not mentioned anywhere in rule 6.44, to the best of my knowledge.

They are though. In 6.44 (b) in the penalties section it says:

Penalties:
On a proven Objection - Award of Game to the Opposing
Team, or Replay, or Fine, depending on the circumstances.
On an Inquiry by the Committee-in-Charge - Forfeiture of
Game without Award of Game to the Opposing Team, or
Replay, or Fine, depending on the circumstances

That allows for either an objection by Glen OR the committee in charge to intervene (via an inquiry). They clearly didnt take this option and have pushed in onto Glen to appeal. I think that's cowardliness of the highest order. The option of appeal should only have to be used if the committee in charge were unware of the rule breach. At the top levels in the GAA rules are often replaced by politics unfortunately.

yellowcard

Quote from: johnnycool on January 24, 2023, 11:10:40 AM
Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on January 24, 2023, 10:58:42 AM
Quote from: gallsman on January 24, 2023, 10:48:34 AM
Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on January 24, 2023, 10:33:30 AM
That is harsh on Kilmacud as magpie seanie has a valid point on the severity of the infraction as per the rulebook which I suppose I hadn't really reflected on either until now.

How is it a minor infraction? Because of the limited time left in the game? How long are clubs allowed break one of the fundamental rules of the game for before it no longer becomes a minor infraction, but something more serious? Five minutes? It may be harsh on Kilmacud, but they undeniably fucked up. Let's not forget it was 17, not 16. They had two extra players on the pitch and Mannion is looking at the play.

The fact it was the final seconds of the game and Mullin had no apparent direct impact is completely irrelevant. The game should be declared void and a replay ordered. As said however, Glen may well decide they don't want it. If they do, they are entirely within their rights and any subsequent victory for them would carry no stigma or asterisk except in the eyes of twats.
I have no issue with Glen looking for a replay, they are entitled to it.
Do you think an appeal on the basis of Mannion being on the pitch as a 16th player would be justified if Mullin wasn't there?

Quote from: Gael80 on January 24, 2023, 10:56:29 AM
The GAA reaction has been shocking, I might be wrong but if it was the other way around a replay date would already be set.

They want this all to go away quiety but Glen didn't lose an All Ireland fairly and Crokes didn't win an All Ireland within the rules so lodge the appeal and play the replay
I don't think it would be any different the other way around but they absolutely just want this to go away.

Scenario 1. Glenn don't appeal, Croke Park breathe a huge sigh of relief, the drinking continues in earnest is Stilorgan..
Scenario 2. Glenn appeal, Croke Park have to make a decision and decide to fine Crokes a few €k as it's deemed a light infringement which didn't impact on the final result.  Cue huge twitterati outrage, Grab All Association, Dublin teams getting away with it etc etc. Messy
Scenario 3. Glenn appeal, Croke Park set the date for a replay, probably the following weekend as both teams need 6 days notification IIRC. Crokes hugely motivated going into that game, Glenn less so IMO.
Scenario 4. Glenn appeal, Croke Park set the date for a replay as above, Glenn then forfeit the game and give it to the Crokes. Croke Park, probably happy enough with that outcome, Twitterati wonder what the point of the appeal was in the first place.

Have I missed anything?

You're a player or member of the Glenn executive, what do you decide to do?

I would put in a reluctant appeal and say that the clubs hands were tied as their job isn't to administer the rules. That should have been left to the association to deal with. The GAA will then order the replay and set the date. After that it is down to Glen as to whether they accept or not. I think this is the most likely scenario and its an unenviable position for club members of Glen to be faced with because you will never get unanimity on it.

Straight after the game the emotion of defeat is raw and Malachy O'Rourke stated that he didn't really want to countenance an appeal but when they reflect on it they might think they will never be in this position again whereby they have a 50/50 chance of winning an AI title. Can they live with that regret if they don't play the replay? Personally I would appeal and play the replay, no point in playing the nice guy for a mistake not of their doing.   

Rossfan

Why do ye all think there'll be a replay if Glen lodge an objection?
I'd suspect KC woukd get a fine.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

seafoid

Quote from: johnnycool on January 24, 2023, 11:10:40 AM
That is harsh on Kilmacud as magpie seanie has a valid point on the severity of the infraction as per the rulebook which I suppose I hadn't really reflected on either until now.

How is it a minor infraction? Because of the limited time left in the game? How long are clubs allowed break one of the fundamental rules of the game for before it no longer becomes a minor infraction, but something more serious? Five minutes? It may be harsh on Kilmacud, but they undeniably fucked up. Let's not forget it was 17, not 16. They had two extra players on the pitch and Mannion is looking at the play.

The fact it was the final seconds of the game and Mullin had no apparent direct impact is completely irrelevant. The game should be declared void and a replay ordered. As said however, Glen may well decide they don't want it. If they do, they are entirely within their rights and any subsequent victory for them would carry no stigma or asterisk except in the eyes of twats.
Do you think an appeal on the basis of Mannion being on the pitch as a 16th player would be justified if Mullin wasn't there?

The GAA reaction has been shocking, I might be wrong but if it was the other way around a replay date would already be set.

They want this all to go away quiety but Glen didn't lose an All Ireland fairly and Crokes didn't win an All Ireland within the rules so lodge the appeal and play the replay
I don't think it would be any different the other way around but they absolutely just want this to go away.

Scenario 1. Glenn don't appeal, Croke Park breathe a huge sigh of relief, the drinking continues in earnest is Stilorgan..
Scenario 2. Glenn appeal, Croke Park have to make a decision and decide to fine Crokes a few €k as it's deemed a light infringement which didn't impact on the final result.  Cue huge twitterati outrage, Grab All Association, Dublin teams getting away with it etc etc. Messy
Scenario 3. Glenn appeal, Croke Park set the date for a replay, probably the following weekend as both teams need 6 days notification IIRC. Crokes hugely motivated going into that game, Glenn less so IMO.
Scenario 4. Glenn appeal, Croke Park set the date for a replay as above, Glenn then forfeit the game and give it to the Crokes. Croke Park, probably happy enough with that outcome, Twitterati wonder what the point of the appeal was in the first place.

Have I missed anything?

You're a player or member of the Glenn executive, what do you decide to do?
I think they must be following the development of the story. If there wasn't any thing in it it wouldn't be still in the news 48 hours after the match.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

HiMucker

Quote from: Armagh18 on January 24, 2023, 11:35:24 AM

Quote from: HiMucker on January 24, 2023, 11:33:50 AM
Quote from: thewobbler on January 24, 2023, 11:08:57 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 24, 2023, 11:02:33 AM
When the ref blows the whistle for the end of the game he can't un-blow it and restart the game. The ref makes a call and by the rule book (even if he is wrong) can't change that, rule books do not always allow for common sense.

I've seen that chaos on the sideline at many a game, and when the team is holding on to win an all Ireland you will flood the end of the game with subs...

Its up to headquarters to look at the sub rule during injury time and address it properly, Adding a full minute per sub would certainly reduce the managers throwing on subs, and trust me O'Rourke would have done the same thing

Would anyone maybe consider that the purpose of these subs were not so much time wasting, as getting players some game time in an AI final? You know, the lads who made a contribution during the campaign but didn't make the starting xv for the final? Or is the human touch completely gone from our game?
I would say any subs for sentimental reasons would be completely out the window at the end of a tight championship match at any level, never mind at the end of the senior AI club final.
sentimental subs are for when you're 10 points clear and cruising. Those lads were sent on to waste time number one but also because the manager trusted them to see the game out.
Agreed

thewobbler

Quote from: Taylor on January 24, 2023, 12:22:55 PM

It's so f**king typical of GAA player and management thought processes. Lose a match? Blame anyone and everyone but yourselves.

Would you ever f**k off with this nonsense. Glen have done absolutely nothing wrong here - there are no sour grapes. Don't try and pretend you're talking about it in a general sense.

Glen actually have done something wrong. They've issued a woe is us statement on Twitter instead of launching an injection.

——

It's the legions of keyboard warriors with an agenda against a large Dublin club, who are determined to fling muck at anyone and everyone until the "little guy" gets a replay, that's who've donned the "it's always someone else's fault" mantra.

Normally your posts are very good wobbler but I think you have got this very wrong.

The rules were broken which may have impacted the outcome of a game - people rightly call this out and you have them down as legion of keyboard warriors?

Im not sure what your thought process is. Do you think nothing should come of it and result stands?

Thought process is this:

1. Glen have a clear case for an objection. Either they feel they were wronged or they do not. If they do, then they should appeal.

2. The quickest way for CiC to make a mess of Glen's chances of a favourable outcome is for them to intervene ahead of being requested, and force a ruling upon Kilmacud. Such a ruling would almost certainly be fought by KC, then thrown out by DRA on grounds of a lack of precedence, and / or unrequested interjection, and/ or unintended bias.

In short. Glen shouldn't be playing games on social media and feeding the trolls like Brolly. Man up in either direction and I'll applaud them. If they're hoping that an administrative body with a woolly rule book to come to their rescue, and strap themselves into the "bad guys" seat to save Glen's sense of honour, then well they'll be disappointed, and they will deserve to be disappointed.

RedHand88

Any white smoke from South Derry yet? Are the committee meeting tonight?

seafoid

Quote from: Hound on January 24, 2023, 11:56:07 AM
Quote from: Gael80 on January 24, 2023, 11:07:58 AM

Crokes are a fairly big club based in Dublin; the Dublin based media would have taken the story on and by Tuesday morning the pressure on the GAA would of led to a replay date in my opinion, without an offical club objection.
That's such utter nonsense.

The media reaction whether in or outside Dublin is to put the boot into Crokes. Articles about the possible replay but bringing in stuff about Walsh, their sponsors, their numbers - all completely irrelevant to this issue, but being used as an add-on as to why Crokes should be punished. There might be one pro-Crokes article out there, but I haven't seen it!

I'm no fan of KC, but I would be categoric in saying if the roles were reversed, they would already have put it to bed and said no appeal will be made. But their circumstances are much different to Glen, they have won it before and would be confident of winning it again
Pure whataboutery Hound. Rule 6.44 says nothing about Stillorgan income levels . It's not a culture war.
The game is 15 aside.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Rossfan on January 24, 2023, 12:30:37 PM

Suspect so with the CAC initially but if it ended up with the DRA I'd be confident they'd get a replay. (Then again would they be able to take it too the DRA if just a fine was issued?)

seafoid

Quote from: RedHand88 on January 24, 2023, 12:36:26 PM
Presumably the big issue for Wattys would be the tag of bad losers.
This has nothing to do with rule 6.44.
If Wattys do decide not to appeal it will not help the GAA.

yellowcard

Quote from: thewobbler on January 24, 2023, 12:35:40 PM
Quote from: Taylor on January 24, 2023, 12:22:55 PM

——

Thought process is this:

1. Glen have a clear case for an objection. Either they feel they were wronged or they do not. If they do, then they should appeal.

2. The quickest way for CiC to make a mess of Glen's chances of a favourable outcome is for them to intervene ahead of being requested, and force a ruling upon Kilmacud. Such a ruling would almost certainly be fought by KC, then thrown out by DRA on grounds of a lack of precedence, and / or unrequested interjection, and/ or unintended bias.

In short. Glen shouldn't be playing games on social media and feeding the trolls like Brolly. Man up in either direction and I'll applaud them. If they're hoping that an administrative body with a woolly rule book to come to their rescue, and strap themselves into the "bad guys" seat to save Glen's sense of honour, then well they'll be disappointed, and they will deserve to be disappointed.

What does this mean? What is CiC and what do you mean by 'force a ruling on Kilmacud'?

I think you are being very harsh on Glen here, they are doing what any club in this situation should do. Take your time and consult with committee and club members to reach some form of consensus. There will likely be a whole range of opinions from within the club so why should they 'man up in either direction' and make a quick definitive decision just to appease the governing body who have put them in an unenviable position.

whitey

Replay set for Limerick at 500 pm Saturday evening

Cormac Reilly appointed referee

RedHand88

Quote from: seafoid on January 24, 2023, 12:39:21 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on January 24, 2023, 12:36:26 PM
Presumably the big issue for Wattys would be the tag of bad losers.
This has nothing to do with rule 6.44.
If Wattys do decide not to appeal it will not help the GAA.

Hmm playing with 16 players would be bad winners.

I honestly think public opinion is with Glen on this.

Dreadnought

Quote from: Rossfan on January 24, 2023, 12:30:37 PM

Previous examples has shown that replays is seen as the moderate option that is gone to. Fine too lenient, awarding the game too harsh. A lot of GAA journos (who would be in the know with whispers from CP) say that word is that a replay will be ordered if Glen do object. It's the least worst option