All Ireland club football championships 2023/24

Started by Blowitupref, January 06, 2023, 09:18:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WT4E

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 24, 2023, 09:52:37 AM
Quote from: WT4E on January 24, 2023, 09:50:11 AM
Quote from: seafoid on January 24, 2023, 09:34:55 AM
Quote from: Captain Scarlet on January 24, 2023, 09:14:03 AM
Did I not hear it was Dara Mullin, who was lining the goals, that stated on?
Like that surely has a bearing.
Mullin was full forward
He was on the line and the ball was kicked away from him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMBmxXr5Oxo

If he hadn't been in that position on the line would the Glen player have thought that's the spot I want to hit to win the game?

Someone else coulda filled that spot. Getting outta hand, the members of the club should have had a vote today and left it at that, give them one question, appeal or not appeal?

maybe - maybe not. Maybe he goes  off and leaves a gap maybe he goes off and 3 players fill the gap. WHo knows? All I know is he shouldn't have been there.

Its like an offside rule in soccer. You don't have to touch the ball to be offside!

RedHand88

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 24, 2023, 08:44:25 AM
People need to understand how the GAA disciplinary system works. The media are consistently bad in this regard.

Also - read the rule and try to understand it. If this gets pushed the logical penalty is a small fine (read the rule before you come at me). There are options for penalties presented in the rule from severe (award/forfeiture) to moderate (replay) to light (fine). In the range of possible breaches of this rule ask yourself truthfully - what category does it fall into? About 10 seconds of playing time where the ball doesn't come near the play?

Eh? He's standing 2m away from it going past him at that post! The fact he did not interfere directly is irrelevant. There is no mention of "interfering with play" in the rule. This isn't the Offside rule!

RedHand88

Quote from: Franko on January 24, 2023, 08:47:21 AM
Glen chairman phones relevant GAA mandarin and says - "We're going to appeal, award us a replay and we'll decline it.  BUT, we need something for it."

GAA award replay

Glen decline

Both respective organisations look good in the public eye

Glen get a big cheque.

This is how it should play out if anyone had any sense.

Imagine selling an ireland final replay for new catch nets. Christ.

Taylor

Glen were wronged - that is clear for all to see.

The rules dictate that it is up to them to make an objection.

They should absolutely make an objection - however once the replay is ordered then the players/management have to make a decision.

Sitting in the pub yesterday the players will likely say 'f**k it we were beat' however once the cold light of days comes they may think they should take a chance of winning an All Ireland.

Anyone blaming the GAA for following the rules and awaiting a Glen objection is way off the mark. Do you want the GAA to go back and review every infringement that was missed in a game?

seafoid

Mullin was full forward

If he hadn't been in that position on the line would the Glen player have thought that's the spot I want to hit to win the game?
They were 2 points down. The game hadn't been decided. KC couldn't say the game was won. It would be a pity if Wattys refused a replay.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Armagh18

Quote from: RedHand88 on January 24, 2023, 09:58:15 AM
Quote from: Franko on January 24, 2023, 08:47:21 AM
Glen chairman phones relevant GAA mandarin and says - "We're going to appeal, award us a replay and we'll decline it.  BUT, we need something for it."

GAA award replay

Glen decline

Both respective organisations look good in the public eye

Glen get a big cheque.

This is how it should play out if anyone had any sense.

Imagine selling an ireland final replay for new catch nets. Christ.
Hard to know if the appetite would be there for a replay. Like to think it would given all they've went through to get there and the uncertainty of it they'll ever be back. Don't think Glen too worried about a big cheque I doubt they're short of a few quid up there.

Either way the whole situation is unfair on the players of both sides.

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: seafoid on January 24, 2023, 10:07:50 AM
Mullin was full forward

They were 2 points down. The game hadn't been decided. KC couldn't say the game was won. It would be a pity if Wattys refused a replay.

There is undoubtedly a rush to take away the AI from Crokes by the likes of yourself as well seafoid looking at your comments.
Glen lost the final, was that primarily due to the extra player on the line at the end? I would say no but still think there should be a replay if Glen want it as there was absolutely an infraction. That is harsh on Kilmacud as magpie seanie has a valid point on the severity of the infraction as per the rulebook which I suppose I hadn't really reflected on either until now. Some people have the dislike of Crokes in their head over the Shane Walsh transfer, big Dublin club or whatever and are looking for blood, the likes of OTB saying yesterday that Kilmacud should be thrown out of the competition is lunacy stuff, think about if your own club was in the same position where a mistake was made in the chaos of that match situation.

It's a horrible situation for both clubs in truth, this isn't even the first instance of a cup being presented after a match and then a replay being ordered after an objection. So what are the GAA going to do to ensure as much as possible that something like this doesn't happen again? Don't hold your breath folks.

Cavan19

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on January 24, 2023, 10:33:30 AM
Mullin was full forward

There is undoubtedly a rush to take away the AI from Crokes by the likes of yourself as well seafoid looking at your comments.
Glen lost the final, was that primarily due to the extra player on the line at the end? I would say no but still think there should be a replay if Glen want it as there was absolutely an infraction. That is harsh on Kilmacud as magpie seanie has a valid point on the severity of the infraction as per the rulebook which I suppose I hadn't really reflected on either until now. Some people have the dislike of Crokes in their head over the Shane Walsh transfer, big Dublin club or whatever and are looking for blood, the likes of OTB saying yesterday that Kilmacud should be thrown out of the competition is lunacy stuff, think about if your own club was in the same position where a mistake was made in the chaos of that match situation.

It's a horrible situation for both clubs in truth, this isn't even the first instance of a cup being presented after a match and then a replay being ordered after an objection. So what are the GAA going to do to ensure as much as possible that something like this doesn't happen again? Don't hold your breath folks.

One of the "suits" in Croke Park should have ran down the steps and grabbed the cup just as it was about to be presented.

Halfquarter

Glen might have an appitite for a replay if it was taken out of Dublin and played in Clones or someplace
closer to Maghera.
Why should Glen travel to Dublin again ? into Kilmacud Crokes back yard, I know the
argument that Croke Park is not their home ground but it still gives them a big advantage.

It is much easier to get up on Sunday morning and get the bus to Croke Park ( or a helicopter from Galway in
Shane Walshe's case  ;D ) than get to Dublin from the North to a match.

Rossfan

Just copy soccer (aaaaargh....)
Sub can't come on till replaced player leaves the field.
Surely 8 Officials  in big games can police this?
I know in the D5 Leagues and the likes with only 1 neutral official it might be a bit harder but in an AI Final there's enough of them there!
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

thewobbler

Mullin was full forward

It's a horrible situation for both clubs in truth, this isn't even the first instance of a cup being presented after a match and then a replay being ordered after an objection.  So what are the GAA going to do to ensure as much as possible that something like this doesn't happen again? Don't hold your breath folks.

I really don't like how people are trying to magnify the rule breaking as a weakness in the rule book.

Was it the GAA's fault that a thug from Stewartstown tried to smash Paudie Clifford's head off with an elbow last week? No.

Was it the GAA's fault that unnamed Armagh subs spilled into the field last year va Galway's and one of them went eye-gouging? No.

Can it really be the GAA's fault that a player (willingly or otherwise) did not leave the field when a substitution was made? This has happened oodles of times in matches and it's always quickly picked up on and put to rights.

I can't have this GAA bashing.

It's so f**king typical of GAA player and management thought processes. Lose a match? Blame anyone and everyone but yourselves.

seafoid

I would love to know what Bronagh thinks.
They might never get to another all Ireland final.
And they were blackguarded
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

gallsman

That is harsh on Kilmacud as magpie seanie has a valid point on the severity of the infraction as per the rulebook which I suppose I hadn't really reflected on either until now.

How is it a minor infraction? Because of the limited time left in the game? How long are clubs allowed break one of the fundamental rules of the game for before it no longer becomes a minor infraction, but something more serious? Five minutes? It may be harsh on Kilmacud, but they undeniably fucked up. Let's not forget it was 17, not 16. They had two extra players on the pitch and Mannion is looking at the play.

The fact it was the final seconds of the game and Mullin had no apparent direct impact is completely irrelevant. The game should be declared void and a replay ordered. As said however, Glen may well decide they don't want it. If they do, they are entirely within their rights and any subsequent victory for them would carry no stigma or asterisk except in the eyes of twats.

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: thewobbler on January 24, 2023, 10:43:55 AM
Mullin was full forward

It's a horrible situation for both clubs in truth, this isn't even the first instance of a cup being presented after a match and then a replay being ordered after an objection.  So what are the GAA going to do to ensure as much as possible that something like this doesn't happen again? Don't hold your breath folks.

I really don't like how people are trying to magnify the rule breaking as a weakness in the rule book.

Was it the GAA's fault that a thug from Stewartstown tried to smash Paudie Clifford's head off with an elbow last week? No.

Was it the GAA's fault that unnamed Armagh subs spilled into the field last year va Galway's and one of them went eye-gouging? No.

Can it really be the GAA's fault that a player (willingly or otherwise) did not leave the field when a substitution was made? This has happened oodles of times in matches and it's always quickly picked up on and put to rights.

I can't have this GAA bashing.

It's so f**king typical of GAA player and management thought processes. Lose a match? Blame anyone and everyone but yourselves.
It's not GAA bashing, we need to look to improve, how can our sport find itself in situations like this and is there a way to prevent it or mitigate better? There may not be but this is farcical and embarrassing stuff after the final of one of the premier competitions in GAA.

gallsman

Quote from: thewobbler on January 24, 2023, 10:43:55 AM

Would you ever f**k off with this nonsense. Glen have done absolutely nothing wrong here - there are no sour grapes. Don't try and pretend you're talking about it in a general sense.