Previous topic - Next topic

Armagh18

Quote from: marty34 on March 09, 2023, 03:08:35 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on March 09, 2023, 03:00:07 PM
Quote from: marty34 on March 09, 2023, 02:42:04 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on March 09, 2023, 02:38:54 PM
Quote from: marty34 on March 09, 2023, 02:33:59 PM
Quote from: weareros on March 09, 2023, 01:32:59 PM
Have to watch the Tories that to appease them they don't write something into NI Act that makes a border poll harder to achieve. That ultimately is what the DUP want out of this, a rewriting of the GFA to lock North into UK. They wouldn't care if every sausage was blocked at Larne and sent back to Cumberland if they achieved that.

Yeah, I said that a while back, saying they're trying to re-write the GFA to say something similar.

Surely even this duplicitous shower of Tory scum couldn't try and do that in an international agreement OR could they?

Why couldn't they? They could put in some wishy washy new act to get this protocol framework over the line.  Wouldn't surprise me.

The Torys don't care. It'll be a fudge, like the Windsor Framework - all smoke and mirrors.
No chance. UK Government would just be swopping DUP outrage for Nationalist outrage

Probably not but what would nationalists do?

Can't see them out protesting alà Bryson and the loyalists.

Even if the DUP got their way via the Windsor Framework a few weeks ago, what would nationalists do?
Their way? As in a border? There'd be serious protests. Probably ends up in violence at some point.

I think Rishi isn't stupid, he wants to move on from Brexit and keep close enough ties with the eu trade wise.

NAG1

Quote from: Armagh18 on March 09, 2023, 03:11:55 PM
Have to watch the Tories that to appease them they don't write something into NI Act that makes a border poll harder to achieve. That ultimately is what the DUP want out of this, a rewriting of the GFA to lock North into UK. They wouldn't care if every sausage was blocked at Larne and sent back to Cumberland if they achieved that.

Yeah, I said that a while back, saying they're trying to re-write the GFA to say something similar.

Surely even this duplicitous shower of Tory scum couldn't try and do that in an international agreement OR could they?

Why couldn't they? They could put in some wishy washy new act to get this protocol framework over the line.  Wouldn't surprise me.

The Torys don't care. It'll be a fudge, like the Windsor Framework - all smoke and mirrors.
No chance. UK Government would just be swopping DUP outrage for Nationalist outrage

Even if the DUP got their way via the Windsor Framework a few weeks ago, what would nationalists do?
Their way? As in a border? There'd be serious protests. Probably ends up in violence at some point.

I think Rishi isn't stupid, he wants to move on from Brexit and keep close enough ties with the eu trade wise.

Especially with the US and EU now in discussions about a free/ closer trade agreement.

imtommygunn

Hard border I don't think US would be impressed by either and that is probably a factor.

seafoid

There will never be a hard border. It would not last in South Armagh for starters.

Rishi wants economic growth. The hard Brexit was minus 5% .

Milltown Row2

Hopefully SF pull out of Stormont if the DUP agree to a change  ;D ;D ;D

Was rinse repeat
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

weareros

Nothing to do with a hard border. It's all about getting the super majority bill for all future referendums though Westminster. Second reading is later this month. That removes 50%+1 in a border poll.

pbat

If they try stunts with the GFA they will be great lads among the knuckle draggers around Larne, but will drive numbers of soft u and Alliance voters towards vote yes. Great strategy lads.

Id love to see Eastwood turn Jeffrey over in Lisburn next GE. Like Dodd's career here ending in embarrassment. In fact if they keep this poor me attitude up SF and SDLP should stand aside in Lisburn. 

Armagh18

Quote from: weareros on March 09, 2023, 04:29:04 PM
Nothing to do with a hard border. It's all about getting the super majority bill for all future referendums though Westminster. Second reading is later this month. That removes 50%+1 in a border poll.
So the GFA is fucked then?

imtommygunn

They're shouting it's f**ked while f**king it at the same time. Clever when you think about it...

I don't think that super majority is going to be a thing. It was Ian Og taking the piss as he usually does.

weareros

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 09, 2023, 05:03:35 PM
They're shouting it's f**ked while f**king it at the same time. Clever when you think about it...

I don't think that super majority is going to be a thing. It was Ian Og taking the piss as he usually does.

While it's Paisley taking the piss, the Tories had already been discussing changing rules for a Scottish Indy referendum to a super majority. He will get support for this. The DUP and TUV have no interest in protecting the GFA. They never supported it. They have been angling for awhile to change what consent means. It means a simple majority for constitutional change and Dublin/Nationalist parties need to stay awake.

yellowcard

Gregory must be feeling a bit left out seeing all his colleagues being anointed with knighthoods, damehoods, baronesses and Lords. Trying a bit too hard to defend his Tory/ERG colleagues in a monologue about Lineker today was classic Gregory. He's definitely given himself a chance but is probably still behind Sammy and Ian Og in the queue.

From the Bunker

We have all been laughing at the DUP over the last couple of months/years as they seemed to dig themselves further into problems of their own creation. The more that this goes on the more I fear they will win their battle and win it handsomely. Mad to think that a Party that holds just over 20% of the vote in Northern Ireland should hold so much power.  I mean nearly 80% didn't vote for them if you look at it from the other perspective. Crazy!

Snapchap

Quote from: weareros on March 09, 2023, 06:10:43 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on March 09, 2023, 05:03:35 PM

While it's Paisley taking the piss, the Tories had already been discussing changing rules for a Scottish Indy referendum to a super majority. He will get support for this. The DUP and TUV have no interest in protecting the GFA. They never supported it. They have been angling for awhile to change what consent means. It means a simple majority for constitutional change and Dublin/Nationalist parties need to stay awake.

Dublin parties would be quite happy to move away from 50%+1. In fact they regularly voice such support. Micheal Martin has spoken of his desire for a wholly undemocratic and anti-GFA "parallel consent" mechanism while Varadkar has repeatedly stated the view that 50%+1 would not be a success.

Both FF and FG are vocal advocates of what essentially is a unionist veto of a pro unity vote.

seafoid

https://www.ft.com/content/fcf6e9f2-82fd-4a03-8945-a3679c6bc640
Even the most brilliant political strategies must ultimately be measured against their outcomes.

The DUP are going to end up going back with the GFA in place. They have no powerful allies in London or the US

Applesisapples

What always bugs me is the hypocrisy of unionism, its as if all the evil since partition was down to the "minority" without whom this "wee country" would be paradise. It bugs me even more that no-one ever calls this out, not the media, not the SDLP, not Alliance and SF only in very limited circumstances and then very quietly. Nationalists have be tip toeing around unionism for a century, it is no longer the "minority" a term UU politicians of old used in the most perforative fashion. Equality can no longer be a one way street.