Gaelic football is crap- and needs to change ASAP

Started by Truth hurts, October 03, 2022, 09:30:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedHand88

Would mean less W/O reserve league games anyway.

Armagh18

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on April 15, 2023, 04:58:38 PM
Quote from: LeoMc on April 15, 2023, 04:52:20 PM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on April 15, 2023, 03:35:21 PM
As Peter Canavan opined a good while ago, maybe it's time to reduce to 13-a-side: with greater fitness levels, more strategic management, etc., there's only one way that can go whilst the pitch dimensions remain the same -- ball retention, at whatever cost to the sporting spectacle.

With 13-a-side, the dynamic is changed completely: does a team prioritise defence over offence, or vice versa; blanket defences will have porous holes; hand-passing ball retention is much more risky; it reduces, inescapably, to the better ball players in the on-pitch cohort, I'd reckon.
Perhaps at a higher level 13 aside would work as teams already have the conditioning. I would have concerns at lower levels where the skilled player would be squeezed out as fitter players are prioritised. Junior teams could no longer afford to carry the lazy sod with great feet or hands as their over wintering habits leave them exposed in the bigger spaces afforded by the reduction in players.

Sure thing, it wouldn't be universally beneficial perhaps, but surely it needs serious consideration and exploration, if only at the Senior County level, on a trial basis?
Yeah definitely worth looking at in higher level games though

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Fear ón Srath Bán

It's not necessarily about losing positions, it's more about doing more with fewer, if you're good enough.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

ONeill

Personally, I'd ditch the corner forwards with their fancy boots and bleached hair.

ONeill

Ok, a wing-forward and a wing-back. 10 and 7. Retire the jerseys. Jordan and Dooher.

Fear ón Srath Bán

That's the whole point though, as I see it: we don't lose any of the 15 positions, we need to be smarter about how we cover them, rather, with fewer on field resources.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

ONeill

befair

13-a-side would also make it easier for small counties/clubs to compete

ONeill

The classic Tohill and McGilligan. Wouldn't fancy telling Brian he's out.

From the Bunker

Quote from: befair on April 15, 2023, 10:12:38 PM
13-a-side would also make it easier for small counties/clubs to compete

That's the big one and one of the reasons that the Big hitters would canvas for things to remain the same.

screenexile

armaghniac

Quote from: screenexile on April 16, 2023, 05:42:11 PM
Close it down lads!

Absolutely; high scoring, exciting game in Omagh, with a lot of skill with a few errors to keep it interesting.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

thejuice

As a way of curbing the influence of athletes on the game rather than drinking bans we make drinking obligatory for county players. A feed of Supermacs after training to keep things balanced.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016