Jimmy McGuinness

Started by here comes 6, September 27, 2012, 08:37:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ck

Firstly the comment above is ridiculous, of course he has to go for a well paid job. Taking the soup my arse!
Secondly I think it is possible to do both jobs. ..the question will be if he can do the Donegal job as well with such pressures on his time. Remember he was a full time manager for Donegal where he committed avery hour of his day to the job. He got paid indirectly by "sponsors" and running coaching coarses which the county board fronted so Jimmy could get paid. All of that was peanuts compared to the celtic offer.

The fact that Jimmy has not commented on any of this is interesting. For me that could mean he will step down from Donegal

the Deel Rover

Jesus we were paying for John O' Mahony's soup and feck all good that done us.
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Farrandeelin

If only they offered him the job near the BEGINNING of the season...:P
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

JimStynes

he'll be able to pay the bills a lot easier now. fair play to him.

ck

Does nobody think it strange that McGuinness hasnt commented on any aspect of this story yet?

yellowcard

Fair play to Jimmy and I hope it works out for him, he deserves a lucrative move based on his remarkable achievements with Donegal. However there is no doubt that his position as Donegal manager will be severely compromised. How can he preach total committment to players when he is fulfilling the Donegal managers role part time? Bottom line is he will be contracted to Celtic and this will severely curtail his role with Donegal. It wouldn't surprise me if Jimmy allows Rory Gallagher to step into his role and for him to become a lesser cog in the wheel. Donegals success was largely based on meticulous preparation, committment and discipline and there is no doubt that they will have lost something from todays announcement.

Hardy

He should be so committed he shouldn't have a job?

INDIANA

Donegal will suffer if he takes both. So Celtic will win out I expect.

Also he may find working with the uneducated money hungry upstarts that soccer generally produces who largely dont give a rats arse about anyone bar themselves a far harder proposition then players who play for the jersey.

tonto1888

Quote from: INDIANA on November 09, 2012, 06:49:34 PM

Also he may find working with the uneducated money hungry upstarts that soccer generally produces who largely dont give a rats arse about anyone bar themselves a far harder proposition then players who play for the jersey.

considering hew will be working with the youth squads he may well have a hand in stopping such developments in the players. And as for "uneducated", behave yourself

rodney trotter

Quote from: INDIANA on November 09, 2012, 06:49:34 PM

Not really true tbh, he will be working with the Academy players at Celtic. That is under the age of 18. They aim to get a full time contract as a professional or move on elsewhere if that doesn't happen.

yellowcard

Quote from: Hardy on November 09, 2012, 05:44:24 PM
He should be so committed he shouldn't have a job?

Who said anything about the fact that he shouldn't have a job. All I'm saying is that if he spends Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday in Glasgow he will at worst miss one training session but in reality its a lot worse than that. Jim was effectively doing the Donegal job full time last season. Now he won't have that luxury and Donegal will be the poorer for it.

Armamike

Good luck to McGuinness. He's been given a great opportunity by Celtic so fair play.  With the best will in the world though this could be hard to combine with the Donegal job. Anyone who's ever taken a reduced hours/part-time option with their work can find that the work is hard to ring fence to 3 days a week, particularly if you're into your job.
That's just, like your opinion man.

stibhan

I find it hilarious that some of the same people who refuse to countenance managerial payments are criticising McGuinness for joining Celtic. You can't have it both ways lads.

stibhan

Quote from: hardstation on November 09, 2012, 08:25:40 PM
Quote from: stibhan on November 09, 2012, 08:23:31 PM
I find it hilarious that some of the same people who refuse to countenance managerial payments are criticising McGuinness for joining Celtic. You can't have it both ways lads.
??

Not necessarily on this board. I just think some people are in the dark ages regarding the amount of commitment managers and players give to the GAA, and how much it affects their livelihoods. I'm no fan of pay for play but begrudging a man the biggest opportunity of his career is something else.

EC Unique

Jim owes Donegal absolutely nothing. Great opportunity that anyone would jump at. Good luck to the lad. :)