Jimmy McGuinness

Started by here comes 6, September 27, 2012, 08:37:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

INDIANA

Quote from: tonto1888 on November 09, 2012, 07:11:01 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on November 09, 2012, 06:49:34 PM
Donegal will suffer if he takes both. So Celtic will win out I expect.

Also he may find working with the uneducated money hungry upstarts that soccer generally produces who largely dont give a rats arse about anyone bar themselves a far harder proposition then players who play for the jersey.

considering hew will be working with the youth squads he may well have a hand in stopping such developments in the players. And as for "uneducated", behave yourself

They dont really finish school so they are largely uneducated. I dont blamehifor taking the gig I definitely would. But I wouldnt kid myself thinking I could manage a county team too.

Donegal will struggle next year as the lack of football skills in the team will be exposed if the ravenous hunger and tactical appreciation he gave them falls by the wayside in his abscence

rodney trotter

Aidan McGeady doesn't come across as uneducated.. They would obviously have a link up with schooling for players, they don't expect players to be thick as planks with no education and then have hopes of them being a Pro players. They mightn't all be getting Top Grades or whatever, but some level of schooling is provided.

I remember Cillian Sheridan got sorted with his education when he went over. He went to a Uni.

cadence

is it for sure that he's taking it on part-time and will stay on as donegal manager?

Newbridge Exile

Quote from: EC Unique on November 09, 2012, 09:28:20 PM
Jim owes Donegal absolutely nothing. Great opportunity that anyone would jump at. Good luck to the lad. :)
+1

oakleafgael

Quote from: INDIANA on November 09, 2012, 09:44:08 PM

Also he may find working with the uneducated money hungry upstarts that soccer generally produces who largely dont give a rats arse about anyone bar themselves a far harder proposition then players who play for the jersey.

considering hew will be working with the youth squads he may well have a hand in stopping such developments in the players. And as for "uneducated", behave yourself

They dont really finish school so they are largely uneducated. I dont blamehifor taking the gig I definitely would. But I wouldnt kid myself thinking I could manage a county team too.

Donegal will struggle next year as the lack of football skills in the team will be exposed if the ravenous hunger and tactical appreciation he gave them falls by the wayside in his abscence

There is as much footballing ability in the Donegal team as there was in their predeccesors.

ross4life

Quote from: cadence on November 09, 2012, 10:24:05 PM
is it for sure that he's taking it on part-time and will stay on as donegal manager?
Yes 3 days in Glasgow the other 4 in Donegal. Brian McEniff said it won't be easy to juggle the two jobs with a young family but if anyone can do it Jimmy can.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

INDIANA

Quote from: oakleafgael on November 09, 2012, 10:54:55 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on November 09, 2012, 09:44:08 PM

There is as much footballing ability in the Donegal team as there was in their predeccesors.

Personally I disagree but its all about opinions I suppose.

Real Talk

I think its a great story in the real world of earning a living for his family and also continuing to be the main man in the Donegal management team. The Celtic job is a completely 'new' challenge working with young players in a professional game.  And this coming year Donegal also presents a  'another new' challenge in that he has to devise a strategy for 'staying' at the top, they are no longer the under dogs.  So therefore Jimmy will be entering a 'new' learning curve and he is coming from a background of having studied at a great many Universities (how many different Uni's has he won Sigerson Cups with?)and he will be staying in that mode.  Jimmy is different from all other Gaelic Managers and god only knows where this journey will take him over the next few years.  And really who are we to judge what he should or shouldn't do.  I wish him good luck and he brings a new impetus and excitement to life in general and Celtic FC and Gaelic Football in particular.

cogito

God forbid a senior inter-county manager got a job. Don't understand the sceptism at all.

Fair enough this is a unique development in that a professional sporting club has secured the services of a senior inter-county manager but really its no different to Pat Gilroy managing Dalkia in my opinion for example. These are very bright men who I have no doubt can handle having more than one responsibility in life. Players work too, go to college and raise families. A balance can be found.

It's not too often you see a picture of a GAA Player or Manager on the home page of a Champions League teams outfit.

Well done Jim and I wish you every success in your professional career. I hope you win feck all matches with Donegal next year though ;D

5 Sams

The likes of Eamon Fitzmaurice and a load of others will be putting more hours in than Jimmy in their normal everyday jobs. No issue. FFS Micko was doing more than any other business man was doing in his private life during the Golden Years and look what he achieved. Pat Gilroy is another example of someone with a high profile business role who managed both very well. Good luck to the lad.

The Aristocrat Years

cadence

Quote from: ross4life on November 09, 2012, 10:57:26 PM
Quote from: cadence on November 09, 2012, 10:24:05 PM
Yes 3 days in Glasgow the other 4 in Donegal. Brian McEniff said it won't be easy to juggle the two jobs with a young family but if anyone can do it Jimmy can.

like other posters have said, others managers juggle work and gaa. in mcg's case, it might even be that he gets more shillings for less days, 2 or even 3 days less. not a bad arrangement if he could graft two long days with the tic and back then to donegal to spend some well earned time with the family during the day and take donegal training of an evening.

cadence

jim says it won't stop him fulfilling his duties with us, and might be beneficial even. having flexible hours is the key i suppose. 

http://thescore.thejournal.ie/jim-mcguinness-celtic-donegal-switch-668561-Nov2012/

rrhf

Typical Celtic they park the bus and fluke a result midweek and then think they can go in and buy an all Ireland winning manager. If you got money ?? Des Farrell and the boys will be trying to get senior jobs now.  Who d have thought?

cadence

he's ideal for celtic. very smart move on their behalf. aside from the fact that mcg and lennon are like minds on their take on sport and the skills jim has, he's an all-ireland winning manager from donegal. if you know your history and all that is exactly what celtic are saying by giving him that role. hats off to celtic/lennon for understanding the pull of your own county too. one slight problem possibly of him being a huge success and being asked to take on more responsibility, but it's not as if he's betraying us, it's the tic.

ONeill

Bogue banned from Parkhead.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.