The Official World Cup 2018 Thread

Started by Ball Hopper, November 16, 2017, 05:14:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildweasel74

Maradona better than the two of them; and i still have pele ahead if him

Minder

Is Peles 1000 goals not a bit of a joke ? Friendlies and all sorts of shite included in that total
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

longballin

Quote from: Minder on June 22, 2018, 11:54:20 AM
Is Peles 1000 goals not a bit of a joke ? Friendlies and all sorts of shite included in that total

No joke when he was putting them past keepers in World Cup finals.

seafoid

World Cup performance depends on the supporting cast.  It is very like the All Ireland club in that regard. I don't think you can say Diego Armando is better cos he won a World Cup.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

trailer

Messi not even in top 3.
Messi great in a team of greats. Ronaldo great in any team. Ronaldo is the complete footballer.

longballin

Quote from: seafoid on June 22, 2018, 12:07:02 PM
World Cup performance depends on the supporting cast.  It is very like the All Ireland club in that regard. I don't think you can say Diego Armando is better cos he won a World Cup.

Pele won three ... admit it he was a decent aul player   :)

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 22, 2018, 11:24:30 AM
Quote from: longballin on June 22, 2018, 11:08:09 AM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 22, 2018, 11:06:15 AM
Quote from: longballin on June 22, 2018, 11:03:42 AM
Quote from: laoislad on June 22, 2018, 10:57:04 AM
So Messi is shite now is he? That what the experts on here think?

Def not shite fantastic player but hasn't done it at World Cup level like Pele who scored great goal in final when he was 17 and 12 years later in final of 1970. Messi fluffed it totally in last World Cup final.

Robbing this from Twitter.

Pele! Injured in 62, sure he didn't play in the knockout games. 66? Sure he limped out, he didn't want it enough. 70? He has the best team around him. Fraud. And he never did it in Europe.

The best weren't in Europe then  He scored over 1000 goals. Hardly a fraud scoring in a World Cup final at 17. Messi missed a sitter in the last World Cup final. Good in Europe aye but not the greatest on World Stage

How can you judge a player you have never seen play? How many of those 1000 goals did you see? In age when every minute of your game is watch and analysed, the likes of Messi and Ronaldo simply stand out above all other players currently and historically because the evidence is there for all to see.

Messi is the greatest footballer for all time and a great goal scorer, Ronaldo probably the greatest goal scorer of all time and a great footballer.

Enjoy these players and their achievements, these type of players only arrive every 20 years or so. You can enjoy both without having to try and disparage the other.

Think that sums it up for me.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

oakleaflad

Jeez lads they were all great players. Pele, Maradona, Ronaldo, Messi, Best, Cruyff. Everybody named was great. No doubt nostalgia has a part to play in some cases and the fact Ronaldo and Messi are playing currently will influence people too.

With that being said I think the two boys playing at the minute have taken things to a whole new level. Maradona didn't score anywhere near what they did and Pele wasn't tested against the best defenders in the World regularly.

1. Ronaldo
2. Messi
3. The rest.

trailer

longballin

Dire Ear

longballin

laoislad

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

sid waddell

For a player to considered in the conversation for the greatest of the great, they have to be able to beat an opponent, to fool them and ghost past them as if they were not there.

Maradona, Pele, Cruyff, Zidane and Ronadinho could all do it.

Messi can do it.

Other players who are not in the conversation for the greatest of all time could do it. John Barnes, George Best.

Cristiano Ronaldo can't do it.

It's a rather significant failing for somebody who wants to be considered in the conversation.

Armamike

Ronaldo's not even the best Ronaldo!  The earlier vintage was better imo.
That's just, like your opinion man.