Connecting to a Wireless Card

Started by Gaffer, March 19, 2009, 08:17:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gaffer

My neighbours signed up to broadband and yours truly was asked to connect their Old Windows  2000 laptop to it.

I bought a wireless card and installed it onto the computer and was able to see that the card itself could recognise the hub. However, when I put the BT Broadband CD  into the computer to install it, the computer could not connect with the hub at all.

I was thinking that maybe the settings on my laptop needs to be adjusted in some way so that the laptop can connect to the hub.

Anyone out there offer any help? My neighbours are retired and really looking forward to using the internet.
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

mylestheslasher

You should not need the BT software. You need the software of the card you installed. That software should have a little program that displays as an icon down beside your clock. You need to figure out how to use this software. What you need from the BT disc/booklet is the 13 digit wireless key that will allow the new card communicate with the router. The software you use is really product specific so there so no way I can really tell you anymore.

Bensars

Quote from: mylestheslasher on March 19, 2009, 09:53:26 PM
You should not need the BT software. You need the software of the card you installed. That software should have a little program that displays as an icon down beside your clock. You need to figure out how to use this software. What you need from the BT disc/booklet is the 13 digit wireless key that will allow the new card communicate with the router. The software you use is really product specific so there so no way I can really tell you anymore.

What he said. I upgraded and got a new bt hub. Nothing but problems with the BT software itself. BT broadband desktop help is load of pish and causes nothing but conflicts with oher software. Uninstall completely.

I set up my connection through the windows wireless. All the bt/yahoo software is a pain in the hole.

Gaffer

I put in the wireless key and the card found the hub. After that I went to install the BT Broadband CD so that the computer could link up to the Hub but it couldn t find it.

Must have to adjust some settings in the computer !

Thats where I need the help from a GAA message board posting computer buff with a liking for helping people out.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Gaffer on March 20, 2009, 03:26:55 PM

I put in the wireless key and the card found the hub. After that I went to install the BT Broadband CD so that the computer could link up to the Hub but it couldn t find it.

Must have to adjust some settings in the computer !

Thats where I need the help from a GAA message board posting computer buff with a liking for helping people out.

The card should find the hub without the key being entered. It only needs the key in order to communicate with the hub. I'm not sure exactly what the point of installing any BT software is as the Hub doesn't need a driver as it is not connected to your pc via anything but a network cable. I'd undo everything you have installed and try this....

1- Put in the wireless card
2- Install wireless card driver and software.
3 - Open wireless card software and scan/search for wireless networks (make sure your hub is turned on and connected)
4- It should locate the BT wireless network. You need to get into the settings for this somehow (this is particular to your wireless card software so have a look at its manual).
5- You will probably need to select the type of security system to use. Its normallly WEP or WPA. You need to select Ascii as your wireless key type. Now there should be somewhere to put in your wireless key.
6 - When all this is entered you need to save these settings and then try and connect. I presume your wireless card software has an "apply" or "save" button and a "connect" button.

If that isn't working open internet explorer. Go to Tools, Internet Options, Connections. Delete any "dial-up" connections from the box at the top of the screen. Then go to "lan settings" and tick "automatically detect settings".

One other thing to look at is to rigt click on My computer, properties, Hardware, Device manager. Check that there are no yellow exclamation marks beside your new card. You should also check your card manufacturers website for their latest drivers.

I suppose you could also ring BT and see how you get on.

Good Luck!

Gaffer

Myles
Many thanks for the time and effort for your reply.

Actually, after work today I tok it to my local computer shop and the technician set it up with my hub and after seeing my problem changed the channel on the BT Hub from 6 to 11. After that he was able to get online.  Brillant!! He told me that was my problem solved and if I brought it home it should connect ok.
I brought it home, connected it up and it worked. Shut it down again to double check that it would work again and it wouldnt connect.
Back to square one again.

mylestheslasher

Check your wireless receiver card software to make sure it is set to receive from the correct channel.