Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NAG1

Anyone going to mention the standard of refereeing in the St John's game not to mention the standard of time keeping?

St John's should feel massively aggrieved at that and rightly so.

north aontroim gael

Genuinely curious. Why do you feel St Johns were hard done by? Any particular instances?

Quote from: NAG1 on September 06, 2020, 10:14:54 PM
Anyone going to mention the standard of refereeing in the St John's game not to mention the standard of time keeping?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: north aontroim gael on September 06, 2020, 11:44:23 PM
Genuinely curious. Why do you feel St Johns were hard done by? Any particular instances?

The time-keeping seems a very specific instance.

north aontroim gael

"Not to mention the time keeping" would suggest the original poster felt more aggrieved By something else in addition to time keeping hence the query.

I was at the game and saw no issue with the referee so genuinely curious.

Quote from: Tony Baloney on September 06, 2020, 11:54:52 PM

north aontroim gael

The time keeping is an easy one to remedy as well. If you go back and watch the coverage and the number of breaks etc and time it. The Saffron Gael says "over 11 minutes of injury time" but doesn't say that this also includes the water break.

Quote from: Tony Baloney on September 06, 2020, 11:54:52 PM

Gold

Johnny McIntosh was absolutley fantastic!

All about opinions but im stunned that anyone could think otherwise

His enthusiam and craic was 1st class and added to the games...plus he was very clear about the score and reminding the viewers the score which is so necessary when you dont have a score graphic and was lacking in the other games ive seen.

He said a few names wrong bht was honestly the best and most enjoyable commentary ive heard in a long long time

What a service....hope it continues after covid. 4.5k homes watching...incredible
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

north aontroim gael

Exactly my take on it. As a Loughgiel fan I was the one looking for the whistle at the end so couldn't understand why the timekeeping was being questioned as advantageous to Loughgiel.

The 11 minutes included the water break.

Quote from: hardstation on September 07, 2020, 06:44:38 AM
The ref added about 11 minutes on to the 2nd half which was totally unwarranted IMO. However, to say that this shafted the Johnnies rather than Loughgiel is a bit of a stretch.

Loughgiel equalised on 36 mins and took the lead on 37 mins. It could well be argued that with the water break, 6/7 mins over isn't totally ridiculous.

He gave St. John's another 4 more minutes to equalise and they even had a chance to win it. For me, the extra 4 mins definitely takes it into the totally ridiculous.

NAG1

Quote from: north aontroim gael on September 07, 2020, 07:00:24 AM
Exactly my take on it. As a Loughgiel fan I was the one looking for the whistle at the end so couldn't understand why the timekeeping was being questioned as advantageous to Loughgiel.

The 11 minutes included the water break.

Quote from: hardstation on September 07, 2020, 06:44:38 AM
The ref added about 11 minutes on to the 2nd half which was totally unwarranted IMO. However, to say that this shafted the Johnnies rather than Loughgiel is a bit of a stretch.

Loughgiel equalised on 36 mins and took the lead on 37 mins. It could well be argued that with the water break, 6/7 mins over isn't totally ridiculous.

He gave St. John's another 4 more minutes to equalise and they even had a chance to win it. For me, the extra 4 mins definitely takes it into the totally ridiculous.

No one said he shafted St John's but to have played 11 minutes of injury time is a bit crazy. It looked like he got that far in when LG equalised that he had to keep playing.
In saying that plenty of times during the game IMO that advantage should have been played for St Johns and it wasnt, one jumps out was the goal missed at the very end. Not changing anything now but just didnt feel right throughout the game.

Na Glinntí Glasa

i genuinely though the ref stopped the time at water breaks or am i wrong here?

I referee'd a game there recently (no ref turned up) and i stopped the watch for each break. I thought thats what was supposed to happen seeing as its a stop in play and therefore of no advantage to either team?
hurl like f**k boi!

NAG1

Quote from: Dunloy realist on September 07, 2020, 09:05:08 AM

I referee'd a game there recently (no ref turned up) and i stopped the watch for each break. I thought thats what was supposed to happen seeing as its a stop in play and therefore of no advantage to either team?

How long did you stop the clock for a water break?

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: NAG1 on September 07, 2020, 09:09:38 AM
Quote from: Dunloy realist on September 07, 2020, 09:05:08 AM

How long did you stop the clock for a water break?

For that game it was in that mini heat wave so i gave the teams more than a minute. the moment the game restarted i started my stopwatch again. I just assumed thats what you did
hurl like f**k boi!

gallsman

As stated during the game, I thought Loughiel were getting some very soft frees in the second half of normal time but I don't think there was anything too outrageous.

Agree that what probably happened was ref realised he'd probably let it go too long with Loughiel managing to edge into the lead and gave the Johnnies every chance to equalise, subconsciously or otherwise.

The ref didn't beat the Johnnies though. Loughiel's deeper bench and fresher legs did.

Tony Baloney

Re. the fresher legs - related to playing football as a dual club or general fitness? There was a bit of back and forth on this on the Facebook comments in the Dunloy v Rossa match and people were responding that Dunloy also had a couple of football matches with one as recent as Friday night.

NAG1

Quote from: gallsman on September 07, 2020, 09:24:01 AM
As stated during the game, I thought Loughiel were getting some very soft frees in the second half of normal time but I don't think there was anything too outrageous.

Agree that what probably happened was ref realised he'd probably let it go too long with Loughiel managing to edge into the lead and gave the Johnnies every chance to equalise, subconsciously or otherwise.

The ref didn't beat the Johnnies though. Loughiel's deeper bench and fresher legs did.

So couple that to the injury time which the johnnies went into 3 up.

Fair play to LG for hanging in and pegging it back but IMO it shouldn't have even got that far.
Yeah the fitness told in the end as well but it shouldn't have needed too.

gallsman

Quote from: Tony Baloney on September 07, 2020, 09:42:28 AM
Re. the fresher legs - related to playing football as a dual club or general fitness? There was a bit of back and forth on this on the Facebook comments in the Dunloy v Rossa match and people were responding that Dunloy also had a couple of football matches with one as recent as Friday night.

I don't know enough to comment on whether the football had an impact but I more meant the deeper bench and fresher legs being two sides of the same coin. Loughiel could bring on good hurlers who were (obviously) fresh running against lads who were justifiably exhausted.