Club Hurling

Started by BallyroanAbbey, April 16, 2017, 11:40:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keyser Söze

Quote from: clonadmad on June 26, 2017, 11:15:10 PM
Quote from: blueandwhite1 on June 26, 2017, 10:59:16 PM
Although I generally think the round robin, the Wexford and Carlow games have been good for development of our very young senior team, it has been disastrous from a club hurling perspective for MOST clubs. The likes of B/K, C/B and R/E have had half teams for the league and will have no time to get ready for the championship with the Dublin match now. Clubs like Camross and Abbeyleix have been going well as they have so few county players. I guess this is what it must be like in more successful counties that get long championship runs but we are in a position where we have been hurling inter county Championship since April! First few rounds of the club championship could be very unpredictable and fairly low on quality.

Most successful counties the likes of Kk/Galway and Tipp continue on with their club championship in tandem with the inter county scene and have access to their players under the 7 day rule,Laois playing 6 championship games and hopefully more is a new concept for the CB to address in future

Current championship structure works great in so many ways.
Exciting, competitive, certainty around dates, intriguing once it gets going. It is guaranteed to almost never interfere with Laois intercounty fixtures.
There also aren't that many games, again logistically easier.
If I was sitting in an office in Portlaoise I'd be loathe to change any of it!

On the other hand it starts too late in the summer and our leagues are a joke. Particularly in years when we are in the round robin.

It's hard to get right. In fairness to Handy & co many counties would love a championship that ran like ours. But it does start to late. Proposals to bring everything forward that are currently on the agenda of the GAA/GPA/CPA might fix that for us in the coming years!
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

TheGiantSquid

Colt conceded to the Harps in the Div 1B final tonight. It is very poor form out of them. I think they are complaining about fixture congestion with their junior hurlers playing 2 matches in the last five days and they have one or two in with the Balyroan footballers. I still feel it is terrible form to concede a final and it takes the joy away from the Harps who looked on paper to deserve the title anyways. Anyone shed further light on this??

BallyroanAbbey

Played junior final sunday, junior championship last night, have football championship tomorrow night, why they culdnt play it a different date i dont know, between this courtwood not being promoted and the ballypickas-mountmellick fiasco its a bad look

Helix

Senior B and intermediate championship kicked off this weekend. Ballyfin gaels got through mountmellick. Some win for Rosenallis tonight vs the Harps. Colt gaels hammering Shanahoe gaels last night. The makings of a decent side.
It's hardly possible to build anything if frustration, bitterness and a mood of helplessness prevail

Don Draper

Quote from: Helix on July 16, 2017, 10:21:15 PM
Senior B and intermediate championship kicked off this weekend. Ballyfin gaels got through mountmellick. Some win for Rosenallis tonight vs the Harps. Colt gaels hammering Shanahoe gaels last night. The makings of a decent side.
Who are the Gaels part of Colt?

Camarillo Brillo

Clonad are the gaels part

Zooming around

Quote from: BallyroanAbbey on July 06, 2017, 12:07:58 AM
Played junior final sunday, junior championship last night, have football championship tomorrow night, why they culdnt play it a different date i dont know, between this courtwood not being promoted and the ballypickas-mountmellick fiasco its a bad look

I Can't understand why a hurling club would give a walkover in a county hurling final yet play all manner of oul football matches the same week. Makes no sense.

Don Draper

Quote from: Camarillo Brillo on July 17, 2017, 02:39:15 PM
Have they many on it? Colt have some decent players there.

Helix

Quote from: Don Draper on July 17, 2017, 05:19:15 PM
Quote from: Camarillo Brillo on July 17, 2017, 02:39:15 PM
Have they many on it? Colt have some decent players there.

2 started 2 came on from Clonad. 4 so far and Kevin Bergin will probably return currently in US.
It's hardly possible to build anything if frustration, bitterness and a mood of helplessness prevail

SCFC

Quote from: Don Draper on July 18, 2017, 07:00:48 PM
Quote from: clonadmad on July 18, 2017, 05:43:32 PM
http://www.laoistoday.ie/2017/07/18/laois-gaa-vice-chairman-serious-war-words-club-delegate
Hon ya girl Mary.
She's a dose that one but 100% right here. Plenty of other clubs had to play league finals without county players. Mountmellick shouldn't be any different.

Downtheroad

Quote from: SCFC on July 18, 2017, 09:06:25 PM
Quote from: Don Draper on July 18, 2017, 07:00:48 PM
Quote from: clonadmad on July 18, 2017, 05:43:32 PM
http://www.laoistoday.ie/2017/07/18/laois-gaa-vice-chairman-serious-war-words-club-delegate
Hon ya girl Mary.
She's a dose that one but 100% right here. Plenty of other clubs had to play league finals without county players. Mountmellick shouldn't be any different.
From experience, league finals in Division 1 and 2 tend to have the county players. Name a recent example where a Division 1 final was played without county players. I can't think of any but you may be right.

Keyser Söze

In fairness to her and Ballypickas, it was a problem that wasn't of their making.
Really it was an administrative error. The fixture should never have been made.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

redsetanta

Any thoughts on this evenings game between Borris-Kilcotton and Ballinakill?

A few absentees on both sides.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi