Gaelic Football - Rules & Regulations discussion/clarification

Started by BennyCake, September 09, 2014, 12:47:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Smokin Joe

This is where I have got to in relation to my question.

A free kick is awarded after a mark and a free kick can only be taken immediately with the ref's consent (2.6), so I guess this is why the goal was disallowed; because the ref didn't signal that the free could be taken quickly.
It was probably harsh to hop the ball because if you took a free kick too quickly out the field after being fouled you would normally get to take it again, not lose the free kick.

So it was probably correct that the goal was disallowed.

rrhf

Quote from: Smokin Joe on September 12, 2022, 10:04:49 AM

A free kick is awarded after a mark and a free kick can only be taken immediately with the ref's consent (2.6), so I guess this is why the goal was disallowed; because the ref didn't signal that the free could be taken quickly.
It was probably harsh to hop the ball because if you took a free kick too quickly out the field after being fouled you would normally get to take it again, not lose the free kick.

I think its a mess. half the time the forward inmdicates the mark, he then plays on.  Raised hand and acknowledgement by ref stops play.. Can someone think of the defenders.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: rrhf on September 12, 2022, 10:21:29 AM

I think its a mess. half the time the forward inmdicates the mark, he then plays on.  Raised hand and acknowledgement by ref stops play.. Can someone think of the defenders.

My take on it.. Ball is played in, attacker catches ball, I blow whistle (regardless) he can play on but must be allowed the time it takes 4 steps to be tackled. if he calls the mark he must take it within 15 seconds, I wouldn't be pulling players on taking the free too quickly, that would only be if its a 14 yard free, anywhere on the pitch, if I blow for a free, if he's ready to take it, providing no one is within 13 meters then play on...

Would need to have seen the actually play, the hop bal in my opinion would be if he didnt take it till after the 15 seconds had elapsed

EverY ref is different, we want to speed up the game and if we are always having to blow again for re starts and so on then it slows it down IMO
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Smokin Joe

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 12, 2022, 11:00:25 AM

My take on it.. Ball is played in, attacker catches ball, I blow whistle (regardless) he can play on but must be allowed the time it takes 4 steps to be tackled. if he calls the mark he must take it within 15 seconds, I wouldn't be pulling players on taking the free too quickly, that would only be if its a 14 yard free, anywhere on the pitch, if I blow for a free, if he's ready to take it, providing no one is within 13 meters then play on...

Would need to have seen the actually play, the hop bal in my opinion would be if he didnt take it till after the 15 seconds had elapsed

EverY ref is different, we want to speed up the game and if we are always having to blow again for re starts and so on then it slows it down IMO

Well there would definitely have been defenders within 13m, but if that didn't hinder the attacking team then it probably shouldn't be brought back on that technicality.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Smokin Joe on September 12, 2022, 11:30:38 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 12, 2022, 11:00:25 AM

Well there would definitely have been defenders within 13m, but if that didn't hinder the attacking team then it probably shouldn't be brought back on that technicality.

Yes, in fact I'd argue that the ball could have been brought forward if defenders were within 13 meters and not moving away as instructed, so ball played and advantage of getting score, what's wrong with that? Though if own players were inside the 13 meters and they collected the ball then its not actually a hop but a free out..

Again would need to see it.. but on the day these calls are given and it can be strange, we make mistakes  ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

general_lee

The mark is an abomination at times. Half the time refs award the mark before a forward has even fully secured the ball and sometimes does a wee fumble. Still gets the mark.

Rossfan

You can hardly change a playing rule (2/2/i) by "directive"??

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on December 02, 2022, 12:52:09 PM
'nuther one!

I was at a football game earlier this week - in this case, the goalkeeper picked the ball off the ground inside his large square out but outside his small square. The referee awarded a penalty - my understanding was that such a foul is a 13 metre free to the opposition, however speaking to the ref during an interval he claimed that a new rule/directive was brought in earlier this year to make such a foul by a goalkeeper outside his small square but inside the large square a penalty. So who's right? Me or the ref?

Didn't get that email

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on December 02, 2022, 02:01:25 PM
Just as I thought then!

Here's one, is there a difference in time allocated for a forward mark and a defensive mark?

Armagh18

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 02, 2022, 02:25:15 PM
Just as I thought then!

Here's one, is there a difference in time allocated for a forward mark and a defensive mark?
Not as far as I know?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Armagh18 on December 02, 2022, 02:30:40 PM
Just as I thought then!

Not as far as I know?

Student in a match recently said to me that they don't get the same, I said they do but I questioned myself lol

Armagh18

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 02, 2022, 02:37:34 PM
Just as I thought then!

Not as far as I know?

Student in a match recently said to me that they don't get the same, I said they do but I questioned myself lol
Don't see why they wouldn't be the same. Must be thinking of the mark from kickout. Is it 5 and 15 seconds that you get?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Armagh18 on December 02, 2022, 02:40:23 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 02, 2022, 02:37:34 PM
Just as I thought then!

Not as far as I know?

Don't see why they wouldn't be the same. Must be thinking of the mark from kickout. Is it 5 and 15 seconds that you get?

This was a defensive mark, but again why should there be a difference?

Rossfan

Rule 2.12 says player has up to 15 seconds to play the ball. Throw in if he takes longer.