Car Servicing/Maintaince

Started by GJL, August 29, 2012, 05:43:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snoopdog

god those German Cars cause alot of problems.
get a good Jap car, never let you down. ;D ;D ;D ;D

GJL

Quote from: Mac Eoghain on August 30, 2012, 11:03:14 AM
Car in for a bit of a service today at a non-dealer garage, I won't find out the cost until I dander up to get it later - getting the following done - Oil & Filter change, Rear Discs & Pads. IS220D. Who can guess what it will cost including VAT? No prizes for the closest guess.

£160

WeeDonns

@GJL - How are you with Fords?
I have a 2006 1.8 FOCUS LX TDCI

A long story, but about 6 months ago I got some questionable Diesel. It needed pushed to start and produced great black clouds of smoke but then drove ok once it was going.
I took it to a friend of a friend and he had it for about 10 days and said the diesel pump needed replacing. It ended up costing me a fortune.
I've noticed since that it hasn't got the same power. When I put the foot down, the revs go away up past where they need to but there's no real increase in power, so its now crap at overtaking.
Have you any ideas? Is it probably linked to the fuel pump?

If it was something simple I could get sorted at my next service ,I'd get it sorted, otherwise I'll probably just ignore it

GJL

Sounds like a strange one wee donns. Revving up with no acceleration sounds like a slipping clutch. Where are you? If I drove the car I could tell a lot more!

onefaircounty

Quote from: WeeDonns on August 30, 2012, 11:26:21 AM

A long story, but about 6 months ago I got some questionable Diesel. It needed pushed to start and produced great black clouds of smoke but then drove ok once it was going.
I took it to a friend of a friend and he had it for about 10 days and said the diesel pump needed replacing. It ended up costing me a fortune.
I’ve noticed since that it hasn’t got the same power. When I put the foot down, the revs go away up past where they need to but there’s no real increase in power, so its now crap at overtaking.

If it was something simple I could get sorted at my next service ,I’d get it sorted, otherwise I’ll probably just ignore it

That sounds like a problem with the turbo to me.

Armaghgeddon

Quote from: GJL on August 30, 2012, 09:39:26 AM
Quote from: Armaghgeddon on August 30, 2012, 12:39:23 AM
Would anyone have an idea as to how much it would cost to replace a gearbox in a VW Golf that is 5 years old?

3 to 4 hours labour (we charge £20 per hour) plus the price of a second hand box. This could be £150 to £400 depending on the type of box required and who you buy it from.

I have been quoted £1100, £900 to recondition the gear box.

GJL

Quote from: Armaghgeddon on August 30, 2012, 01:53:56 PM
Quote from: GJL on August 30, 2012, 09:39:26 AM
Quote from: Armaghgeddon on August 30, 2012, 12:39:23 AM
Would anyone have an idea as to how much it would cost to replace a gearbox in a VW Golf that is 5 years old?

3 to 4 hours labour (we charge £20 per hour) plus the price of a second hand box. This could be £150 to £400 depending on the type of box required and who you buy it from.

I have been quoted £1100, £900 to recondition the gear box.

Reconning a box is very expensive and as I said a second hand box can be the cheapest way out. What is the BHP of the car? Is it 5 speed or 6 speed?

GJL

Quote from: onefaircounty on August 30, 2012, 01:40:15 PM
Quote from: WeeDonns on August 30, 2012, 11:26:21 AM

I've noticed since that it hasn't got the same power. When I put the foot down, the revs go away up past where they need to but there's no real increase in power, so its now crap at overtaking.

If it was something simple I could get sorted at my next service ,I'd get it sorted, otherwise I'll probably just ignore it

That sounds like a problem with the turbo to me.

Possibly though if turbo is not functioning the revs would be very slow to pick up. Like I said if I drove the car it would be a lot more apparent.

johnneycool

I've a 2006 2.0TDI Jetta and every once in a while whilst turning left (only) the ESP (I think that's what its called), break warning and air bag lights go on.
The car loses power for a split second, but the ESP light stays on until I restart the car after letting it sit for and hour or two. The airbag light is still on now and probably needs reset, but what would cause that?

I can fly into a right handed turn no bother!

Also the emissions garage warning is coming up after I stalled the car recently. Is that a genuine problem or just another sensor rest?

JimStynes

Car is struggling to start. Keeps coming up on the dash saying 'injection fault'. Ive put some injection clearer in the other day. Hasn't made any difference yet. What's the craic here then? Renault Megane, 70,000 miles, diesel by the way.

Jonah

Quote from: JimStynes on August 30, 2012, 03:54:37 PM
Car is struggling to start. Keeps coming up on the dash saying 'injection fault'. Ive put some injection clearer in the other day. Hasn't made any difference yet. What's the craic here then? Renault Megane, 70,000 miles, diesel by the way.

The craic is don't ever buy a Renault.

JimStynes

Quote from: Jonah on August 30, 2012, 03:58:12 PM

Aye they're useless but my parents gave it to me a couple of years ago. I am going to change to something when I get a little more money saved up. Any recommendations on what is a good car? I was thinking of an Audi A3, golf, BMW 1 series or something.

GJL

Quote from: JimStynes on August 30, 2012, 04:09:23 PM

Aye they're useless but my parents gave it to me a couple of years ago. I am going to change to something when I get a little more money saved up. Any recommendations on what is a good car? I was thinking of an Audi A3, golf, BMW 1 series or something.

I have seen this a few time in meganes.

It is either heater plugs expired (cheap)

or

injectors need refurbished (expensive)

Get the heater plugs checked first.

GJL

Quote from: johnneycool on August 30, 2012, 03:33:07 PM
I've a 2006 2.0TDI Jetta and every once in a while whilst turning left (only) the ESP (I think that's what its called), break warning and air bag lights go on.
The car loses power for a split second, but the ESP light stays on until I restart the car after letting it sit for and hour or two. The airbag light is still on now and probably needs reset, but what would cause that?

I can fly into a right handed turn no bother!

Also the emissions garage warning is coming up after I stalled the car recently. Is that a genuine problem or just another sensor rest?

You have some sort of electronic sensor problem. The best way to find out would be to run a diagnostic on it while all the warning lights are on. We can do that.

JimStynes

Quote from: GJL on August 30, 2012, 04:38:09 PM
Quote from: JimStynes on August 30, 2012, 04:09:23 PM

I have seen this a few time in meganes.

It is either heater plugs expired (cheap)

or

injectors need refurbished (expensive)

Get the heater plugs checked first.

how expensive for the injectors?