New Car Advice

Started by Dinny Breen, March 06, 2018, 11:56:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinny Breen

I am a luddite when it comes to cars, it's always just about getting from A to B but thinking about buying a new car so looking for advice..

Thinking SUV or Station Wagon. I coach football and rugby so on the go all year with balls, cones bibs etc. Also have 2 young kids and a dog, so even weekends away require lots of bags.

So really looking for a good sized car/SUV, nice spec but crucially good value to run and maintain.

So if anyone has any suggestions or can point me towards a website it will be much appreciated.

Also is PCP finance a viable option?
#newbridgeornowhere

Hereiam

Stay away from PCP.
Why take out this sort of finance deal on a product that will deprecate so fast.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Hereiam on March 06, 2018, 12:00:08 PM
Stay away from PCP.
Why take out this sort of finance deal on a product that will deprecate so fast.

Does that not apply to any finance deal with regards to new cars, it's a product that depreciates as soon as it leaves the forecourt. You could send 20K cash and in a month it's worth €19500.
#newbridgeornowhere

laoislad

I've a Ford Kuga and love it. Good big boot and not bad on fuel. Mine is a 2.0 litre but I see they are doing  a 1.5 now also which should be better on fuel.
Great spec on them aswell.
If I was changing car in the morning though I'd probably go for the new Skoda Kodiaq.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Dinny Breen

Kuga was on my radar, yea don't need a big engine so 1.5 would be good. Will check out the Skoda Kodiaq. Cheers
#newbridgeornowhere

Puckoon

Depending how young the kids are Dinny consider the leather upgrade interior on a car. The shit they leave behind on a cloth upholstery is just never gonna come out.

Not sure if Toyota are doing much business over there but they're the absolute leader here from a resale point of value. Was shown a highlander recently and it had a lot going for it on the inside, outside just wasn't what I was looking for.

That skoda looks nicely set up as well.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Dinny Breen on March 06, 2018, 12:14:22 PM
Kuga was on my radar, yea don't need a big engine so 1.5 would be good. Will check out the Skoda Kodiaq. Cheers
Would concur with Laoislad on the Kodiak - fine looking vehicle.

Jim_Murphy_74

In a similar situation but maybe not going "new" new.   

Skoda maybe a bit too recent.  Herself has picked out a Hyundai Tuscon.  It's a 1.7 Diesel and seems to be well specced.  Planning a test drive in coming days.

Honda CRV is also on the agenda but pricey enough.

/Jim.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on March 06, 2018, 01:22:47 PM

Skoda maybe a bit too recent.  Herself has picked out a Hyundai Tuscon.  It's a 1.7 Diesel and seems to be well specced.  Planning a test drive in coming days.

/Jim.
Wife also needs a new car and definitely not buying new. 7 seats and grey or silver is the spec she has issued  ::)

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 06, 2018, 01:42:49 PM

/Jim.
Wife also needs a new car and definitely not buying new. 7 seats and grey or silver is the spec she has issued  ::)

We have already a 7 seater with Toyota  Verso.  With 4 kids it's not really practical for long journeys.  No one wants to sit in back two seats and you have damn all boot.

For long journeys with any kind of luggage we have to take 2 cars.  It's worth considering about that if going for 7 seater. 

/Jim.

screenexile

I have the Toyota Rav 4 and I love it 2 years now and no problems at all plenty of room and a reasonable price!

J70

I've a Subaru Outback. Superb car. The all wheel drive is fairly handy too when you've got the conditions you've had in Ireland over the past week!

johnnycool

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 06, 2018, 01:42:49 PM

/Jim.

I've a Kia Carens 7 seater and its spotty dog for the day to day stuff with all the crew it in (5 kids from 12 down), but no boot of any great significance which can be a problem when taking a double buggy anywhere.

The Hyundai Santa Fe is a good yolk but pricier.

sensethetone

Quote from: screenexile on March 06, 2018, 02:22:44 PM
I have the Toyota Rav 4 and I love it 2 years now and no problems at all plenty of room and a reasonable price!

Same here.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: sensethetone on March 06, 2018, 03:06:01 PM
Quote from: screenexile on March 06, 2018, 02:22:44 PM

Same here.
Been looking at a similar thing myself, SUV of some sort, lookinga t maybe a 2014/2015 or so.
driven the sportage,Qashqai,rav4 & hyundi ix35 . personally prefer the qashqai or the rave 4. the rav 4 would be my pick, but a good bit pricier for the top spec ones.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either