Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Denn Forever

So what big name manager will be available in the summer?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

magpie seanie

Quote from: Denn Forever on January 14, 2019, 11:15:34 AM

It's not about "big name" managers. It's about the right manager.

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 14, 2019, 11:29:24 AM
Quote from: Denn Forever on January 14, 2019, 11:15:34 AM

It's not about "big name" managers. It's about the right manager.

This will be interesting as I assumed they had some'one' in mind when Solksjaer was appointed interim manager.

AZOffaly

The thing that strikes me is that ogs says the right thing. He's the opposite of David "we can only aspire to be like Man City" Moyes. Everything is upbeat. Players should be delighted to be at a club like this and playing in matches like that. All positive messages.

imtommygunn

You have a guy who genuinely seems to love the club and who wants to play positive football. That as opposed to someone who loved himself and didn't want to play positive football makes a massive difference. He also seems to understand it better which seems to help.

That being said it will be interesting to see how it all goes when they do lose / draw games and it'll be interesting to see how the likes of Pogba reacts. He has shown he is clearly world class when he wants to be but I do wonder will he keep it up.

yellowcard

I wouldn't be making any decision just yet but right now I'd be holdiing fort on seeking a new long term manager since Solskjaer is proving his worth. It only emphasises how toxic Mourinho actually was though. That group of players are the second most talented in the League and should have been doing much better. It is still going to be difficult to finish top 4 but I think there is now a realistic chance. If you look at the next 4 fixtures there is a good opportunity to narrow the gap further.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: yellowcard on January 14, 2019, 01:45:23 PM
I wouldn't be making any decision just yet but right now I'd be holdiing fort on seeking a new long term manager since Solskjaer is proving his worth. It only emphasises how toxic Mourinho actually was though. That group of players are the second most talented in the League and should have been doing much better. It is still going to be difficult to finish top 4 but I think there is now a realistic chance. If you look at the next 4 fixtures there is a good opportunity to narrow the gap further.

Only if the other teams drop points though, best to look at their fixtures as a better gauge
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

yellowcard

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 14, 2019, 02:19:28 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on January 14, 2019, 01:45:23 PM

Only if the other teams drop points though, best to look at their fixtures as a better gauge

Chelsea play Arsenal and Man City in their next 4 fixtures. Even Spurs are not uncatchable 7 points ahead since they have a very small squad and I would expect them to drop off slightly towards the latter end of the season.

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: Over the Bar on January 13, 2019, 06:34:07 PM
Quote from: trailer on January 13, 2019, 06:20:03 PM
Lukaku is absolutely shite

Looks as if he's had one too many burgers!
For somebody who is supposedly taking steps to address the problems in his physique, he appears to be still getting worse.
He has the appearance of an Defensive Lineman at this stage.

Aristo 60

I went through what Lukaku is going through at the minute and it turned out I was eating too many pies biscuits.

I never eat pies.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 14, 2019, 10:09:47 AM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on January 14, 2019, 09:56:49 AM
Quote from: magpie seanie on January 14, 2019, 09:29:19 AM
Great result first and foremost. Obviously as the second half wore on it got more fraught and Spurs will be kicking themselves over the chances they missed (DeGea is amazing though - not just his reflexes but his uncanny ability to be in just the right place is something special). That said Lloris made a couple of fantastic saves as well (think he made 7 compared to DeGea's 11 - several of both were routine enough).

This was the big test for OGS and tactically he got it spot on from the start. The goal was coming as United looked like the old United on the break......deadly dangerous. Spurs regrouped at half time and Pochettino made the adjustments that helped turn the tide. United were still in control in the early period of the second half but the closer to the end it got the deeper United fell and the pressing in their half stopped. That they saw it out is great but the defense gave up way to many chances.....you won't get away with that every day and espsically against PSG, City or Liverpool. Really feel Jones needs to be sidelined. The guy is really struggling and was at sea again yesterday. Think his confidence is just shot. Not sure what the status of Bailly, Smalling or Rojo is presently (and all come with health warnings in some shape or form) but I think a differnet partner for Lindelof (who has turned things around from earlier in the season when I was convinced he was terrible) is required. Certainly an awful lot of work on the defensive side is required.....it all looks a little chaotic. Enthusiasm and spirit is papering over a few cracks at the minute.

I wasn't expecting a win but was hoping for a continuation of the positivity we'd seen in the previous 5 games. So it was better than that. some of the intricated triangle passing was really top drawer - you can see the players are confident and not afraid, in fact encouraged to use their abilities. Onwards and upwards. Been a long time since I've looked forward to the next game as much as in recent weeks.

I've not seen the highlights but at first glance I didn't think Jones was any more culpable than Lindelof yesterday. I do think its easy to blame the defence but what was in front of them should take more of a blame, thought Matic & Herrera dropped too deep and Pogba didn't work hard to close Spurs down. Spurs created 2 chances from Corners and not sure whether it was Son or Ali who went through on De Gea even though United had plenty of defenders back but was probably Lindelof's fault for been too deep, he should have played them offside. The biggest problem was giving Eriksen too much space on the edge of the box, can't let a player with his ability have so much freedom going forward.

What has been missed is Pogba could have had a 2nd half hattrick, thought he missed the best chance of the game when Martial pulled it back to him.

Its a brilliant win though and pulls Spurs back into the top 4 hunt.

Ya - it wasn't that the bodies weren't there it was that they weren't in the right places or seemed to lack structure/organisation. And yes, defending is about more than just the back 4. I just think Jones looks the only one on the team who doesn't want to see the ball and has been playing poorly. Maybe I overstated things based on yesterday alone....I'll have to review the highlights myself later.

Totally right on the chances United had to kill it off, especially Pogba. The one he made out of nothing and almost lifted it over Lloris would have been something special. He still frustrates at times but he has immense ability and we're beginnning to get some consistency.

Desperately need a commanding centre half like Van Dijk. There were times yesterday when we had too many players in our own box, looked like they were getting in each others way.

NAG1

Quote from: Maroon Manc on January 14, 2019, 03:58:10 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on January 14, 2019, 10:09:47 AM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on January 14, 2019, 09:56:49 AM
Quote from: magpie seanie on January 14, 2019, 09:29:19 AM
Great result first and foremost. Obviously as the second half wore on it got more fraught and Spurs will be kicking themselves over the chances they missed (DeGea is amazing though - not just his reflexes but his uncanny ability to be in just the right place is something special). That said Lloris made a couple of fantastic saves as well (think he made 7 compared to DeGea's 11 - several of both were routine enough).

This was the big test for OGS and tactically he got it spot on from the start. The goal was coming as United looked like the old United on the break......deadly dangerous. Spurs regrouped at half time and Pochettino made the adjustments that helped turn the tide. United were still in control in the early period of the second half but the closer to the end it got the deeper United fell and the pressing in their half stopped. That they saw it out is great but the defense gave up way to many chances.....you won't get away with that every day and espsically against PSG, City or Liverpool. Really feel Jones needs to be sidelined. The guy is really struggling and was at sea again yesterday. Think his confidence is just shot. Not sure what the status of Bailly, Smalling or Rojo is presently (and all come with health warnings in some shape or form) but I think a differnet partner for Lindelof (who has turned things around from earlier in the season when I was convinced he was terrible) is required. Certainly an awful lot of work on the defensive side is required.....it all looks a little chaotic. Enthusiasm and spirit is papering over a few cracks at the minute.

I wasn't expecting a win but was hoping for a continuation of the positivity we'd seen in the previous 5 games. So it was better than that. some of the intricated triangle passing was really top drawer - you can see the players are confident and not afraid, in fact encouraged to use their abilities. Onwards and upwards. Been a long time since I've looked forward to the next game as much as in recent weeks.

I've not seen the highlights but at first glance I didn't think Jones was any more culpable than Lindelof yesterday. I do think its easy to blame the defence but what was in front of them should take more of a blame, thought Matic & Herrera dropped too deep and Pogba didn't work hard to close Spurs down. Spurs created 2 chances from Corners and not sure whether it was Son or Ali who went through on De Gea even though United had plenty of defenders back but was probably Lindelof's fault for been too deep, he should have played them offside. The biggest problem was giving Eriksen too much space on the edge of the box, can't let a player with his ability have so much freedom going forward.

What has been missed is Pogba could have had a 2nd half hattrick, thought he missed the best chance of the game when Martial pulled it back to him.

Its a brilliant win though and pulls Spurs back into the top 4 hunt.

Ya - it wasn't that the bodies weren't there it was that they weren't in the right places or seemed to lack structure/organisation. And yes, defending is about more than just the back 4. I just think Jones looks the only one on the team who doesn't want to see the ball and has been playing poorly. Maybe I overstated things based on yesterday alone....I'll have to review the highlights myself later.

Totally right on the chances United had to kill it off, especially Pogba. The one he made out of nothing and almost lifted it over Lloris would have been something special. He still frustrates at times but he has immense ability and we're beginnning to get some consistency.

Desperately need a commanding centre half like Van Dijk. There were times yesterday when we had too many players in our own box, looked like they were getting in each others way.

Yeah we have been missing that leading centre half for a while now, any of the other probably minus Jones would be a better player with a proper leader along side them.

I wasnt too worried about too many players back, at least it showed the desire to get back in there and make life difficult. All too often didnt happen before because the desire wasnt there.

Mayo4Sam

Is DDG getting an easy ride? It looks like he completely downed tools under Mourinho, just as much as Pogba
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

snoopdog

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on January 14, 2019, 11:06:50 PM
Is DDG getting an easy ride? It looks like he completely downed tools under Mourinho, just as much as Pogba
Are you for real. De gea made top notch saves in every game this season nearly. Look at what he has in front of him for gods sake.

BennyCake

Quote from: snoopdog on January 14, 2019, 11:27:27 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam on January 14, 2019, 11:06:50 PM
Are you for real. De gea made top notch saves in every game this season nearly. Look at what he has in front of him for gods sake.

Are you talking about his silly beard? :D