Mayo v Dublin - AISF - Saturday 5pm

Started by Mayo4Sam14, August 04, 2019, 10:01:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayo4Sam14

Well then, it's do or die time once again.
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

manfromdelmonte

Mayo4Sam14

Call me over optimistic but this one has a real Offaly stopping Kerry's five in a row vibe about it...

kerryforsam19

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on August 04, 2019, 10:11:08 PM
5pm is a bit early for the Dubs

The premier league is back next week so might lose a bit of support?

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on August 04, 2019, 10:01:32 PM

Aren't you the same poster that thought round 1 of the quarter finals was do or die for Mayo?

clarshack

Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on August 04, 2019, 10:32:54 PM
Call me over optimistic but this one has a real Offaly stopping Kerry's five in a row vibe about it...

Maybe if Mayo had another week to prepare. Think they'll tire in the last 20 mins but will be happily proven wrong.

Dinny Breen

If Mayo win this it definitely settles who is the team of the decade!
#newbridgeornowhere

moysider

Surprised there is even a thread about this one.

Maybe if Mayo were injury free and in good form ( we are neither), we might get a game but neither is happening.
We probably have squeezed the best possible out of us already this year under the circumstances. Whatever happens now we have had a very good year tbf.
Dublin, in effect, have a 3 week rest before the semi + the benefit of giving a few rusty lads a kick around v Tyrone.
Mayo had a bear-pit scrap with Donegal 7 days before semi. We lost another important player injured as well. Another starter has lost form completely. That is the reality and no amount of hype/shite in the coming week can change that.

larryin89

Quote from: moysider on August 05, 2019, 12:58:02 AM

Maybe if Mayo were injury free and in good form ( we are neither), we might get a game but neither is happening.
We probably have squeezed the best possible out of us already this year under the circumstances. Whatever happens now we have had a very good year tbf.
Dublin, in effect, have a 3 week rest before the semi + the benefit of giving a few rusty lads a kick around v Tyrone.
Mayo had a bear-pit scrap with Donegal 7 days before semi. We lost another important player injured as well. Another starter has lost form completely. That is the reality and no amount of hype/shite in the coming week can change that.

Well said Moy , I just wish the rest of down home could take a leaf out of your book . I had to leave a family whatsapp group cause of the absolute shite hype talk already . I know they mean well but it's just ridiculous , we are so far off Dublin
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: Captain Obvious on August 04, 2019, 11:06:22 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on August 04, 2019, 10:01:32 PM

Aren't you the same poster that thought round 1 of the quarter finals was do or die for Mayo?

A result certainly would've helped! I meant that in the sense that we would've needed to top the group to avoid the dubs in the semi, but here we are so do or die...

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: larryin89 on August 05, 2019, 01:02:06 AM

Well said Moy , I just wish the rest of down home could take a leaf out of your book . I had to leave a family whatsapp group cause of the absolute shite hype talk already . I know they mean well but it's just ridiculous , we are so far off Dublin

When has form ever had a bearing for mayo in games like this, just enjoy the week that's in it at least and leave the doom and gloom for someone else

larryin89

Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on August 05, 2019, 01:10:59 AM

When has form ever had a bearing for mayo in games like this, just enjoy the week that's in it at least and leave the doom and gloom for someone else

I don't think it's doom and gloom at all, we have done very well , a semi final spot in year one of four year project is very decent . I didn't think we would be anywhere near it after ros game . Very good season , dubs can have their five in a row , we will have a better equipped team next year or 21 to challenge for the cup.

We haven't a hope in hell of beating Dublin next week that's just realism .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

moysider

Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on August 05, 2019, 01:10:59 AM

It's not doom and gloom.
Of course I could be all Boris and optimistic and disappear after, but that is not what is adding up here. Last night's result v Donegal was a great win. It will always stand as a great win.
I don't want to be thick about this but maybe I will. Paddy Durcan had a massive game last night, yet some Mayo fans thought it was of little consequence when he was missing. We are still missing Diarmuid, Ruane, Parsons and now Doherty as well. Vaughan was out last night,
Yet some people think that we should show up regardless. That does not happen. Those type of players do not grow on yew trees.

Wildweasel74

Seamus O'Shea seems very under rated for Mayo,  lad hardly ever has a bad game. Him, Parsons and A O'Shea would likely be the best midfield combination past 20yrs

thewobbler

I'd be pretty positive about Mayo this week.

PP has Dub -5, which, if you follow the patterns of non-biased odds compilers means that Mayo are the first team in with a shout (in a serious game) v Dublin, since they last played Dublin.

Of course it's still a justifiable 5 point swing.

So we have to look for hope.

Here's my hope.

Meath kept Dublin in a game for 40 mins by being utterly aggressive in the tackle. If their forwards had have even half turned up we might have seen a duel. We didn't. Meath's defence couldn't compensate for their forward's ineptitude.

Cork went full gung ho at them and even managed to scare themselves. By running at them at pace, with the potential to switch it up. Then they got nervous. Dublin kept bringing players off the bench who were used to this sort of thing.

Mayo's defence is harder, fitter and more likely to seriously f**k anyone up than Meath.

Mayo are probably no quicker or direct in their running game than Cork. But 10 of them have been working on it together for a decade.

Mayo will most likely be bringing on DOC, Moran, Parsons and Ruane as the game moves into the final quarter. None might have 70 mins in them, but they don't need to have. There's a strong to middling chance they'll be entering a level game. The Dubs aren't used to facing that sort of quality from a bench.

Dublin are rightful favourites. But this one, in my earnest opinion, is going to come down to small margins. Much like their previous meetings. Dubs surely cannot expect to win every coin toss  just because They're Dublin.