Full time professional referees

Started by BennyHarp, July 26, 2018, 10:14:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: hardstation on July 29, 2018, 11:41:26 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 29, 2018, 11:38:52 PM
Today's ref got nearly all the right calls, you not being a hurling man, as you have said, know nothing about hurling. Any hurling man I've spoken to didn't once talk about the ref
Ref did well today. Though what do you make of his general suggestion of having 2 refs, milltown?

He has two linesmen, one refereed last years final (excellent too he was) who talk to him throughout the game, he has four personal friends doing umpire, whom he's talking to regularly..

Having another referee and people will still say the refs interpretation of the foul is wrong! It's about opinions. That's mine.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

CornUladh02

Does being personal friends with the referee make them more qualified for the job of umpire than me or you? Is there a training need for umpires in the GAA?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: hardstation on July 30, 2018, 12:06:00 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 30, 2018, 12:02:03 AM
Today's ref got nearly all the right calls, you not being a hurling man, as you have said, know nothing about hurling. Any hurling man I've spoken to didn't once talk about the ref
Ref did well today. Though what do you make of his general suggestion of having 2 refs, milltown?

He has two linesmen, one refereed last years final (excellent too he was) who talk to him throughout the game, he has four personal friends doing umpire, whom he's talking to regularly..

Having another referee and people will still say the refs interpretation of the foul is wrong! It's about opinions. That's mine.
Can they advise on fouls in general play? A referee can find himself far away or have his view blocked very easily.

Did a match last year, was linesman, rigged up to the ref, before the game we were told to bring everything to the refs attention, the referee ultimately has the call but if he believed you were in better position he'll call it, based on the linesman's call. I don't know if that answers your question but I found it very good..

All umpires at that level go through a course on umpires Corn
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

The worst thing about this thread is non referee posters not actually understanding refereeing but come on with absurd ideas

Milltown Row2

I'd much prefer at all games umpires and linesmen... two refs is just more confusing. Sure the auld boy who's struggling to walk and see is all you need on the line.

trileacman

Is it just me then or do hurling refs interpret the rules just whatever way they want? Not that it takes away from the spectacle but Jesus they're very lax about steps, charging and throw balls, even more so than footballl refs.

If football refs were that slack about pulling for those 3 offences I'd say they'd get a bollixing on here.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Milltown Row2

Football is pure dung. Made up of people trying to con the ref. Old style were men men and got on with the game is lost now.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 30, 2018, 12:14:14 AM
The worst thing about this thread is non referee posters not actually understanding refereeing but come on with absurd ideas

My original post wasn't meant to be a dig at referees. On the contrary it was just a suggestion to try and boost the profile and status of the referee and for the top referees to possibly be given responsible for developing a greater level of consistency amongst themselves whilst trying to develop the same amongst refs in their county. If that means throwing a bit of money at it, then fair enough.
That was never a square ball!!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: BennyHarp on July 30, 2018, 01:00:27 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 30, 2018, 12:14:14 AM

My original post wasn't meant to be a dig at referees. On the contrary it was just a suggestion to try and boost the profile and status of the referee and for the top referees to possibly be given responsible for developing a greater level of consistency amongst themselves whilst trying to develop the same amongst refs in their county. If that means throwing a bit of money at it, then fair enough.

It's part of the game, the ref has his job the players and manager had theirs.. if players perfected the tackle then we'd be grand, there are games and you just wonder, WTF! Blow the whistle all the time and you're not letting the game flow, don't blow the whistle and he's losing control and the players are blaming you for their handbags!

The consistency is impossible, the games aren't consistent and players aren't consistent, not one referee gives a toss to who wins, lets make that abundantly clear. He'll try his best and will make mistakes.. stop focusing in on the ref, I've noticed the amount of gurning now is desperate! But I suppose the ref is the easier target, how making them professional will improve that, I don't know, would need to be decent money though for a man to leave his job

David McKeown

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 30, 2018, 12:11:47 AM
Quote from: hardstation on July 30, 2018, 12:06:00 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 30, 2018, 12:02:03 AM

Can they advise on fouls in general play? A referee can find himself far away or have his view blocked very easily.

Did a match last year, was linesman, rigged up to the ref, before the game we were told to bring everything to the refs attention, the referee ultimately has the call but if he believed you were in better position he'll call it, based on the linesman's call. I don't know if that answers your question but I found it very good..

All umpires at that level go through a course on umpires Corn

All for this but is it permissible under the rules? My understanding is the rules only allow the other officials to bring aggressive fouls to the attention of the referee. Allowing more help for the referee may address many of the issues that currently exist.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Milltown Row2

It happens, I've brought to the attention of the referee if scores or wides I believe, me being in better position than the umpires (sun in eyes, angle of shot, not enough distance behind nets to gauge flight) is incorrect, again the ref can overrule linesman and umpire

It's in the rules, but the ruling is I may bring to the attention of the referee on an issue, it's up to the referee whether he goes with it,. I can't as a linesman stop play but I can inform him live, he can blow whistle if he wants. But trust me they are well informed. The good refs constantly talk

Champion The Wonder Horse

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 30, 2018, 06:50:19 PM
It happens, I've brought to the attention of the referee if scores or wides I believe, me being in better position than the umpires (sun in eyes, angle of shot, not enough distance behind nets to gauge flight) is incorrect, again the ref can overrule linesman and umpire

It's in the rules, but the ruling is I may bring to the attention of the referee on an issue, it's up to the referee whether he goes with it,. I can't as a linesman stop play but I can inform him live, he can blow whistle if he wants. But trust me they are well informed. The good refs constantly talk

Would you ever criticise a referee?

David McKeown

Oh I have no problem with it although i have never refereed in GAA matches I have in other sports and the more help that can be provided the better.  The point I am making is that I would maybe expand the remit of the linesmen to give even more assistance and hopefully cut down on the do yer job linesman shouts that are often heard at games.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Champion The Wonder Horse on July 30, 2018, 11:16:35 PM

Would you ever criticise a referee?

If I'm watching my club as a supporter and when I took my senior team (I'd been refereeing 3 years at the time )I did it regularly, i tried my best not to be too critical but I'm a passionate clubman

Milltown Row2

Quote from: David McKeown on July 30, 2018, 11:30:58 PM

Oh I have no problem with it although i have never refereed in GAA matches I have in other sports and the more help that can be provided the better.  The point I am making is that I would maybe expand the remit of the linesmen to give even more assistance and hopefully cut down on the do yer job linesman shouts that are often heard at games.

The above will happen when the technology is available, generally latter stages of the championship unfortunately