Raped by her Uncle, should she be allowed to travel for an abortion?

Started by stephenite, June 26, 2008, 04:15:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should this child be aloowed to travel for an abortion

Yes
50 (79.4%)
No
13 (20.6%)

Total Members Voted: 63

Voting closed: July 01, 2008, 04:15:05 AM

thebandit

99% of the time I'm against abortion, as its an easy way out of a preventable mistake, but in this case there's no doubt in my mind that it should be allowed

rrhf

Holy Christ I might be against abortion but by God this ones a no brainer. 

Windmill abu

Despite how this child was conceived, how can anyone think that it's life is more worthy of termination than any other unborn child?
Never underestimate the power of complaining

Over the Bar

Killing the unborn child won't take away from  the girl's trauma about being raped and indeed will probably add to it in later life.   Many children born under similar circumstances are adopted the world over. 

The Real Laoislad

I voted No,I can understand why someone might say yes,But in my opinion it's not her unborn childs fault how she/he was conceived and should be allowed to be born and live a life.
If the girl doesn't want the baby she can give it up for adoption,I agree with Over the Bar,Killing the unborn child won't make the girl forget her horrendous ordeal,Two wrongs don't make a right
I don't agree with abortion in any circumstances whatsoever..
You'll Never Walk Alone.

thebandit

Quote from: Over the Bar on June 26, 2008, 03:48:07 PM
Killing the unborn child won't take away from  the girl's trauma about being raped and indeed will probably add to it in later life.   Many children born under similar circumstances are adopted the world over. 

Does that make it right?

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: thejuice on June 26, 2008, 09:53:08 AM
She should be allowed to travel to get an abortion and the uncle should be sent to death row

Fair enough the Uncle is a bastard and there have been people killed for a lot less and the world would be a far better place without him and people like him i couldn't agree more with you on that,In fact death row would be to good for him,He should be left to rot in a hell hole jail
But why should the unborn and innocent child have to die ?
You'll Never Walk Alone.

mylestheslasher

I would never support abortion but this type of case is the exception in any rule. An 11 year old cannot possibly be expected to give birth safely to a baby. I doubt that she would be medically able to. Try and remember what ye were all like at 11 years old. Playing U12 football, boys hating girls and girls hating boys etc. How could someone at that age possibly be expected to carry a child for 9 months and give birth to it. It is beyond comprehension for a child. I think it is tragic when this happens but this is a no brainer for me. Allow the child to have an abortion. As for the Uncle, I think public castration is the only fitting punishment.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: mylestheslasher on June 26, 2008, 04:54:46 PM
I would never support abortion but this type of case is the exception in any rule. An 11 year old cannot possibly be expected to give birth safely to a baby. I doubt that she would be medically able to. Try and remember what ye were all like at 11 years old. Playing U12 football, boys hating girls and girls hating boys etc. How could someone at that age possibly be expected to carry a child for 9 months and give birth to it. It is beyond comprehension for a child. I think it is tragic when this happens but this is a no brainer for me. Allow the child to have an abortion. As for the Uncle, I think public castration is the only fitting punishment.

Im sure the doctors already know that she can deliver the baby safely and it is medically possible otherwise there wouldn't even be a debate
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Puckoon

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on June 26, 2008, 04:57:17 PM

Im sure the doctors already know that she can deliver the baby safely and it is medically possible otherwise there wouldn't even be a debate

Couple points:
1. There is more to the medical debate than just the physiology of her carrying the child to term, and the delivery of the child. The psycological aspect of her BEING FORCED to carry a child created in HATE cannot be over looked.
2. The question is not do you agree with abortion - its "Should she be allowed" - Who the f**k are any of you to determine whether that poor child should be put through the mill again. Makes real sense to put all the power in the faith of the one unborn child (Who could be seriously ill due to his mothers young age, and the fact that its father is related to the mother) up against the already existing life of the mother. Lets throw her to the dogs all together then, just because of the potential for life growing inside her. F**k it, her childhood has been ruined anyways, surely making her carry the child to term and deliver it like a grown woman at worst isnt too much more to ask of a wee angel that was raped (probably repeatedly) by her uncle.

Turn it around and ask yourself - if you were raped by uncle gerry at the ripe young age of 11 (sorry gerry) -would you be overly excited at a bunch of morons deciding that you had to bear the fruit of that particular experience - whatever that may be?

tyssam5

I'm absolutely amazed that with the (assumed) demographic on this board, we still have 23% of people saying the physical movement of a child should be restricted and she should be forced to have this baby. Is house-arrest sufficient or should we be talking jail? Better keep her hand-cuffed as well in case she tries to self-harm. Maybe a maternity straight-jacket?

However, I was relieved on opening the thread to discover we weren't talking about Ireland (again).

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Puckoon on June 26, 2008, 05:26:04 PM

Couple points:
1. There is more to the medical debate than just the physiology of her carrying the child to term, and the delivery of the child. The psycological aspect of her BEING FORCED to carry a child created in HATE cannot be over looked.
2. The question is not do you agree with abortion - its "Should she be allowed" - Who the f**k are any of you to determine whether that poor child should be put through the mill again. Makes real sense to put all the power in the faith of the one unborn child (Who could be seriously ill due to his mothers young age, and the fact that its father is related to the mother) up against the already existing life of the mother. Lets throw her to the dogs all together then, just because of the potential for life growing inside her. F**k it, her childhood has been ruined anyways, surely making her carry the child to term and deliver it like a grown woman at worst isnt too much more to ask of a wee angel that was raped (probably repeatedly) by her uncle.

Turn it around and ask yourself - if you were raped by uncle gerry at the ripe young age of 11 (sorry gerry) -would you be overly excited at a bunch of morons deciding that you had to bear the fruit of that particular experience - whatever that may be?

And who the f**k are any of you to determine that a innocent unborn child should be KILLED..
I also don't accept that its reason to KILL a unbornchild because she might be seriously ill,A life is a life and even if the innocent unborn child was only to live for a matter of minutes at least it was given a chance of life rather than been KILLED before its born..
I can't make out if your upset about the fact the decision is going to be made for her or that fact that some of us are saying she shouldn't have a abortion?
The fact is what happened her was awful,no denying that,I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy,But two wrongs don't make a right..

You'll Never Walk Alone.

Puckoon

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on June 26, 2008, 06:33:15 PM
Quote from: Puckoon on June 26, 2008, 05:26:04 PM

Couple points:

And who the f**k are any of you to determine that a innocent unborn child should be KILLED..
I also don't accept that its reason to KILL a unbornchild because she might be seriously ill,A life is a life and even if the innocent unborn child was only to live for a matter of minutes at least it was given a chance of life rather than been KILLED before its born..
I can't make out if your upset about the fact the decision is going to be made for her or that fact that some of us are saying she shouldn't have a abortion?
The fact is what happened her was awful,no denying that,I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy,But two wrongs don't make a right..

two wrongs dont make a right -
There are three wrongs here - one of the last two has to give

1. The rape
2. The forcing of the child to carry the child
3. The loss of an unborn child - with no further potential for life.

I guess it depends on where you balance the right in number 2 and 3. Personally - I place more value on the life of the child which is already in existence. Has had 11 years. While its sad, and you will continue to use the word "KILLING" in response to terminating the unborn child - I firmly believe its value to be less than that of the mother. With that in mind - abortion is the correct choice (provided it is her choice of course).
You've mentioned the innocent unborn child - what about the innocence (and further potential for an already existing human being to have any more half decent life quality for the rest of her years)

To answer your other question - absolutley Im astounded/appalled/disgusted and dissapointed that 12 people here have answered the question "Should she be allowed to travel for a termination" with a no. As another poster said - lets keep her in chains.

No one else has answered the question - what if it was you? Would your values towards the human life be the same then?

You'd be a mighty man if they did.

Also - if your wife/girlfriend was carrying a child - and the Dr told her she needed to have a termination otherwise she could well lose her own life - what would you choose? This is a common every day heartbreaking scenario for many couples, so give it some serious thought.

In addition - Im not the one choosing to "kill" the unborn child - thats the mothers decision - and in a situation like this, it should be her right. Im arguing her right to choose - which is something y'all are attempting to deny her.

Its easy to have armchair values - but in the heart of a tragic scenario like this - its never cut and dried.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Puckoon on June 26, 2008, 06:48:04 PM

two wrongs dont make a right -
There are three wrongs here - one of the last two has to give

1. The rape
2. The forcing of the child to carry the child
3. The loss of an unborn child - with no further potential for life.

I guess it depends on where you balance the right in number 2 and 3. Personally - I place more value on the life of the child which is already in existence. Has had 11 years. While its sad, and you will continue to use the word "KILLING" in response to terminating the unborn child - I firmly believe its value to be less than that of the mother. With that in mind - abortion is the correct choice (provided it is her choice of course).
You've mentioned the innocent unborn child - what about the innocence (and further potential for an already existing human being to have any more half decent life quality for the rest of her years)

To answer your other question - absolutley Im astounded/appalled/disgusted and dissapointed that 12 people here have answered the question "Should she be allowed to travel for a termination" with a no. As another poster said - lets keep her in chains.

No one else has answered the question - what if it was you? Would your values towards the human life be the same then?

You'd be a mighty man if they did.

Also - if your wife/girlfriend was carrying a child - and the Dr told her she needed to have a termination otherwise she could well lose her own life - what would you choose? This is a common every day heartbreaking scenario for many couples, so give it some serious thought.

Its easy to have armchair values - but in the heart of a tragic scenario like this - its never cut and dried.

I would disagree with you when you say the life of a innocent unborn child is of less value than that of a eleven year old girl,Maybe it so easy for someone to say yeah lets kill the unborn child because they will never have to look that child in the face,Do you think that Fritzel (sp?) girl in Austria loves any of her children less because of the unnatural circumstances in which they were conceived? I seriously doubt it,Because at the end of the day they are innocent victims of that sorry mess the same way this unborn child is a innocent victim of this mess.Why shouldn't that unborn have a chance of living a life,I won't say a chance at life as it's already alive..

You say- "what about the innocence (and further potential for an already existing human being to have any more half decent life quality for the rest of her years)"
Well answer me,In what way shape or form will not having this baby make things easier for this girl? She isn't going to ever forget what happened and if anything maybe this baby will be the one shining light out of all of this..

You ask what if it was me? Honestly i can't see any benefit whatsoever to kill this unborn innocent child,The damage has already been done,The young girl has already been thru the rape,As awful and terrifying and disgusting as that was i don't see why the unborn child who has no say be killed

QuoteAlso - if your wife/girlfriend was carrying a child - and the Dr told her she needed to have a termination otherwise she could well lose her own life - what would you choose? This is a common every day heartbreaking scenario for many couples, so give it some serious thought.

I'm not chickening out of the above question but i honestly can't answer that

Also why would you say the unborn child has no further potential for life?
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Puckoon

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on June 26, 2008, 07:09:51 PM
Quote from: Puckoon on June 26, 2008, 06:48:04 PM

I would disagree with you when you say the life of a innocent unborn child is of less value than that of a eleven year old girl,Maybe it so easy for someone to say yeah lets kill the unborn child because they will never have to look that child in the face,Do you think that Fritzel (sp?) girl in Austria loves any of her children less because of the unnatural circumstances in which they were conceived? I seriously doubt it,Because at the end of the day they are innocent victims of that sorry mess the same way this unborn child is a innocent victim of this mess.Why shouldn't that unborn have a chance of living a life,I won't say a chance at life as it's already alive..

You say- "what about the innocence (and further potential for an already existing human being to have any more half decent life quality for the rest of her years)"
Well answer me,In what way shape or form will not having this baby make things easier for this girl? She isn't going to ever forget what happened and if anything maybe this baby will be the one shining light out of all of this..

You ask what if it was me? Honestly i can't see any benefit whatsoever to kill this unborn innocent child,The damage has already been done,The young girl has already been thru the rape,As awful and terrifying and disgusting as that was i don't see why the unborn child who has no say be killed

QuoteAlso - if your wife/girlfriend was carrying a child - and the Dr told her she needed to have a termination otherwise she could well lose her own life - what would you choose? This is a common every day heartbreaking scenario for many couples, so give it some serious thought.

QuoteYou ask what if it was me? Honestly i can't see any benefit whatsoever to kill this unborn innocent child,The damage has already been done,The young girl has already been thru the rape,As awful and terrifying and disgusting as that was i don't see why the unborn child who has no say be killed

Thats a viewpoint of a man with nothing to fear or worry about. You are suggesting that no further harm, physical or psychological can befall an 11 year old who is forced to carry a child that was raped into her to term, give birth, look at it every day or go through the anguish of giving it up? Now Im no expert - but to claim that the damage is already done - end of story, is wishful thinking and quite simply not the case. Forget that she is 11 - or romanian. Explain your viewpoint on this to any woman in your life, or any rape victim - and see what kind of response you get. That should give you some indication as to how emotional this kind of decision is.

QuoteDo you think that Fritzel (sp?) girl in Austria loves any of her children less because of the unnatural circumstances in which they were conceived?

Do you think she will ever be close to having any sort of normal life? What chances do you give her and ALL her children to grow up and live normal lives? People have ended up in the white coats after lesser ordeals. In either case - its not comparing like with like - theres no point closing the stable door after the horse has bolted.

Im not arguing she might not love the child - but if she doesnt want it (which is a perfectly understandable entitlement) she should not be forced to have it.

Finally - you say you honestly cant answer that. Fair enough, I believe you - however give some empathy then towards the situation this young girl finds herself in. Its a hard enough decision without it being made for you.

Ill put myself on the line and hazzard a guess that if you were ever unlucky enough to face that situation - you might, just might, put more value in the life of your loved one over that of the unborn child inside her.

Anyways, this will go on as it usually does, and Ive said my piece.

Its one thing to have an opinion on abortion and its rights and wrongs - its another thing to prevent a little girl from making a choice (that is, whether you like it or not available for her in this world of ours) that might, just maybe help her to recover from this ordeal.