What if... Ireland v Oz in Int Rules next week

Started by 5times5times, August 31, 2023, 10:51:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: Blowitupref on August 31, 2023, 08:00:35 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on August 31, 2023, 06:33:21 PM
Quote from: Blowitupref on August 31, 2023, 05:22:09 PM
HQ to have discussion again on the possibility of returning Minor All-Ireland finals as curtain raiser slot in Croke Park with the senior final.

The problem with that is the lack of tickets that would be available for the minor teams involved. The last two Minor All-Ireland finals in Armagh, Roscommon had roughly 15k in attendance.

One thing they could have instead as curtain raiser slot on All Ireland senior final day is the Railway cup final. All the top players involved on the same day and not a demand on tickets.
As I suggested before have an All Ireland weekend...
Minor, u20, Tailteann triple header on Saturday with cheap tickets .
If they need a curtain raiser for the Senior Final why not the Junior Final? 500 tickets would cover that and would give those who want to go in early something to look at.

Would be similar to this year with little or none in attendance.  Music bands playing in front of empty arena and bringing Galway's 1998 team out last month before the senior final showed how poorly planned it all was.

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 31, 2023, 05:37:29 PM

Railway Cup - oh the romance!  :)

More romance to it and interest I would have than Int Rules
Presumably they couldn't do the 25 year ceremony at half time unless it went to a replay

Rossfan

Quote from: seafoid on August 31, 2023, 08:04:56 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on August 31, 2023, 06:33:21 PM
Quote from: Blowitupref on August 31, 2023, 05:22:09 PM
HQ to have discussion again on the possibility of returning Minor All-Ireland finals as curtain raiser slot in Croke Park with the senior final.

The problem with that is the lack of tickets that would be available for the minor teams involved. The last two Minor All-Ireland finals in Armagh, Roscommon had roughly 15k in attendance.

One thing they could have instead as curtain raiser slot on All Ireland senior final day is the Railway cup final. All the top players involved on the same day and not a demand on tickets.
As I suggested before have an All Ireland weekend...
Minor, u20, Tailteann triple header on Saturday with cheap tickets .
If they need a curtain raiser for the Senior Final why not the Junior Final? 500 tickets would cover that and would give those who want to go in early something to look at.

Would be similar to this year with little or none in attendance.  Music bands playing in front of empty arena and bringing Galway's 1998 team out last month before the senior final showed how poorly planned it all was.

Might be more romance but certainly less interest if spectator numbers are any guideline..

Hard to see where there was romance at Railway cup games unless there were good social functions after???
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

From the Bunker

I hear ya brother. Gathering the guts of 80 top level lads for 3 games would not be easy.

There is no money in it - at the end of the day headquarters are not going to be part of a loss leader.

seafoid

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 31, 2023, 11:49:05 PM

I hear ya brother. Gathering the guts of 80 top level lads for 3 games would not be easy.

There is no money in it - at the end of the day headquarters are not going to be part of a loss leader.
A bit of imagination. Winners get a holiday and a free world class S&C coach for the team for a year

tbrick18

International rules lost its appeal when they physicality (i.e. violence) was refereed out of it.
People went to those games to see some of the best of both worlds compete physically, the game itself was almost incidental.

I dont think it has the same appeal any more.

The Railway cup though, who wouldn't want to see the best players from each province go head to head.
Could be a charity weekend every year once the all-ireland has finished. Shouldn't effect clubs too much. 2 semis on a Friday night, final on a Sunday.

seafoid

If they can market the Tailteann Cup they could market the Railway Cup

But they would need 53 weeks.

Rossfan

Quote from: tbrick18 on September 01, 2023, 10:08:47 AM

The Railway cup though, who wouldn't want to see the best players from each province go head to head.

What age are you?
The last 20 odd years of the Railway Cup was ignored by 99.99% of GAA followers.
The last few years of the Rules thing still attracted round 30k attendances.

AustinPowers

Quote from: Rossfan on September 01, 2023, 11:32:42 AM

What age are you?
The last 20 odd years of the Railway Cup was ignored by 99.99% of GAA followers.

So are   most games  that aren't televised.........ladies  league/championship games , minor/u20 championship, minor league,  lower hurling tier competitions,  junior/intermediate provincial  games, schools/college games, etc etc

NAG1

Quote from: AustinPowers on September 01, 2023, 01:38:02 PM

What age are you?

So are   most games  that aren't televised.........ladies  league/championship games , minor/u20 championship, minor league,  lower hurling tier competitions,  junior/intermediate provincial  games, schools/college games, etc etc

The Railway Cup was always a players thing. Doesn't have that appeal to draw the crowds any more.

Rossfan

What age are you?

Read the whole context before you start letting go with both barrels.
I was responding to a lad who asked "who wouldnt want to see the Railway Cup"

rrhf

Kilpatrick and Cassidy would do rightly against the Australians I think.

AustinPowers

Quote from: Rossfan on September 01, 2023, 04:01:43 PM

What age are you?

Read the whole context before you start letting go with both barrels.
I was responding to a lad who asked "who wouldnt want to see the Railway Cup"

Calm down there   ,will ya

I picked  up on one of your comments  , and  give a  valid response.  That is all. 

TwoUpTwoDown

Quote from: Rossfan on August 31, 2023, 07:28:03 PM
Croker holds a good number of triple headers already diesnt it?
We're not talking some bog pitch in the wilds of Tyrone here.
Most people will go there and back home the same day.

Not to be pedantic, but I'd argue few counties have the selection of club facilities that Tyrone have...the 6 have been brilliant at tapping in to available funding. Some of the bogs in the rest of the country are a sight to behold however.