The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Ricketts

Wow, how embarrassing! Schmidt has to carry the can for that. Gambled with team selection and failed miserably to get his men in the right headspace for that match. Considering how listless everything appeared, it also wouldn't be surprising to discover that Ireland had over trained in the week prior.

Players aren't without fault, obviously enough. Particularly the leadership group of Best, O'Mahony, Stander, Murray, etc. Rugby is a game of momentum, and Japan were given way too much opportunity to get up a head of steam toward the end of the first half. That's when the game got away.

Probably still limp into the quarter finals, but that's us done. Confidence was already low and there won't be any recovery from today. Another quarter final exit and another stain of failure on the biggest stage for several of our greatest ever players.
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.

thejuice

The lads looked wrecked at half time whereas the Japanese team jogged into the dressing room. Looked like a losing team even though we were up by 3.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Bord na Mona man

The best warning of an impending Irish implosion is Neil Francis writing that sort of dung.

This followed the classic upset pattern. Favourites ease into a lead, don't push on, underdogs get a bit if breathing space and start to play, underdogs start to believe, crowd gets behind them, referee gets caught up in it too, favourites realise they're in trouble and try to wrestle back control, the more they try to force it the more they turn into a disorganised rabble.

nrico2006

Quote from: Itchy on September 28, 2019, 01:52:21 PM
There is something poetic to ireland being beaten by a Japan team with only 7 Japanese players.

The Irish team is nearly as bad sure.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

omaghjoe

There is something poetic to ireland being beaten by a Japan team with only 7 Japanese players.

Ha... ireland can hardly claim the moral high ground on that front.... not only is there the "residents" but a good portion dont even identify as Irish.

rrhf

Was there a few Mayo lads on there today?

omaghjoe

Any1 else find the whole thing hilarious.
Living in the states I discovered that I dont give a toss about rugby and that interest in it in ireland is mostly feigned on the masses by a rugby bias media.
Good for the hits but apart from that it's just a case of toss and hide the egg.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: omaghjoe on September 28, 2019, 05:14:23 PM
Living in the states I discovered that I dont give a toss about rugby and that interest in it in ireland is mostly feigned on the masses by a rugby bias media.
Good for the hits but apart from that it's just a case of toss and hide the egg.

Not a rugby fan myself by any means, but Japan seemed to play a more 'expansive' running game than Ireland. Ireland seemed to play get the ball and run into the nearest Japanese player and down.

Youre 100% right about the media element though.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

BennyCake

Quote from: omaghjoe on September 28, 2019, 05:14:23 PM

It's a load of shite. Glad to see them beat. Just hope they go home early so we can stop being bombarded with it all.

gallsman

Quote from: nrico2006 on September 28, 2019, 04:55:56 PM

The Irish team is nearly as bad sure.

Quote from: omaghjoe on September 28, 2019, 04:58:56 PM

Ha... ireland can hardly claim the moral high ground on that front.... not only is there the "residents" but a good portion dont even identify as Irish.

That's the "poetry" he's on about lads ffs. Do try and keep up.

seafoid

It would be hard to begrudge it to Japan.
There were a number of first team players missing
The replacements made very little impact.

Novenas on now for Scotland against Japan.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

From the Bunker

Don't wish anything ill on any Irish team and never like to see an Irish team lose.
The amount of hype from Donnybrook and the media at large is overwhelming.
The hype which is none of the players fault, has put huge unreal pressure on the squad.
The reality is that Rugby is a minority sport in this country.

imtommygunn

Why do people want their own fecking country beat :o

Then talking about poetic justice with seven Japanese players. Anyone who feels like that- did you support Ireland in the Jack charlton era?

RedHand88

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 28, 2019, 05:47:39 PM
Don't wish anything ill on any Irish team and never like to see an Irish team lose.
The amount of hype from Donnybrook and the media at large is overwhelming.
The hype which is none of the players fault, has put huge unreal pressure on the squad.
The reality is that Rugby is a minority sport in this country.

Did you not get the memo? #thisisrugbycountry