Teachers get it handy!

Started by wherefromreferee?, June 20, 2008, 08:49:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FermGael

Quote from: ONeill on October 14, 2020, 09:41:06 PM
I'll be back fcuk yiz. She already started on me about guttering, fencing and the like as soon as I came home. This isn't the weather for that.

Just do what most if us do.
Make a complete balls of it and you will never be asked again
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

theticklemister

Still in school on the mainland. Talk of us in Liverpool closing but nothing 💯

ONeill

Not gonna take a shower for 5 days.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ONeill

Have an online lesson on Wednesday.

If one of your students was a child of an ETI inspector and you were doing a remote learning lesson, would you talk proper and all?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

JimStynes

Are we back to school on Monday then? That wee extra week aff has fixed everything.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: JimStynes on October 27, 2020, 11:13:17 AM
Are we back to school on Monday then? That wee extra week aff has fixed everything.

Funny no word from her, I'm guessing you'll be back, but cases as they are would be madness to bring all that back again! and if the numbers go up further in the next two weeks we can leave it at the door of the education minister
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

They said 2 weeks off school then said it'd take two weeks to see any benefit so how do you reassess at the end of two weeks...

If you're back then the time off was likely a waste of time. They'd need to be telling people soon though.

lfdown2

Quote from: imtommygunn on October 27, 2020, 11:28:57 AM
They said 2 weeks off school then said it'd take two weeks to see any benefit so how do you reassess at the end of two weeks...

If you're back then the time off was likely a waste of time. They'd need to be telling people soon though.

In relation to the north I see nothing further to the following press release;

https://www.education-ni.gov.uk/news/statement-education-minister-peter-weir-covid-19-restrictions

Out of interest for those advocating against returning to school, what would that look like? Would you propose a blended learning set up - is that achievable? Assume if you are to propose such a thing there would still need to be some face to face time? Would such a set up in your opinion or experience lead to a 'class divide' as has been mentioned by commentators previously?

Is there any amount of acceptable risk, and mitigation against same? Or is the consensus that zero risk should be accepted?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: lfdown2 on October 27, 2020, 11:47:34 AM

https://www.education-ni.gov.uk/news/statement-education-minister-peter-weir-covid-19-restrictions

Out of interest for those advocating against returning to school, what would that look like? Would you propose a blended learning set up - is that achievable? Assume if you are to propose such a thing there would still need to be some face to face time? Would such a set up in your opinion or experience lead to a 'class divide' as has been mentioned by commentators previously?

Is there any amount of acceptable risk, and mitigation against same? Or is the consensus that zero risk should be accepted?

With the ICU beds at a minimum then the risks are very high at the moment, some are advocating for acceptable deaths/risks but 2 weeks when the rest of the place is closed for 4 weeks seems to be a bit daft
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

lfdown2

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 27, 2020, 11:51:57 AM

With the ICU beds at a minimum then the risks are very high at the moment, some are advocating for acceptable deaths/risks but 2 weeks when the rest of the place is closed for 4 weeks seems to be a bit daft

I assume the intent was that as it is not an extra week holiday but is to be made up throughout the year (I think?) that any more than an extra week is unachievable.

I am not advocating anything, only attempting to understand what might that acceptable risk be, if Covid is going to remain for the remainder of the school year what should be done? Surely it is not conceivable that schools be shut for that time therefore what is the alternative? A 'firebreak' each term?

Quote from: hardstation on October 27, 2020, 12:01:48 PM
For me, until there is something put in place that allows for social distancing in schools, we are kidding ourselves that we can get a handle on Covid.
On top of that, we will continue to have pupils & teachers out of school in their droves on a conveyor belt of isolation. A natural blended learning manifests itself then.

It appears to me that this is the current position, try and muddle through as best we can.

delgany

Quote from: lfdown2 on October 27, 2020, 12:14:30 PM

I assume the intent was that as it is not an extra week holiday but is to be made up throughout the year (I think?) that any more than an extra week is unachievable.

I am not advocating anything, only attempting to understand what might that acceptable risk be, if Covid is going to remain for the remainder of the school year what should be done? Surely it is not conceivable that schools be shut for that time therefore what is the alternative? A 'firebreak' each term?

For me, until there is something put in place that allows for social distancing in schools, we are kidding ourselves that we can get a handle on Covid.
On top of that, we will continue to have pupils & teachers out of school in their droves on a conveyor belt of isolation. A natural blended learning manifests itself then.

It appears to me that this is the current position, try and muddle through as best we can.

3 days were assigned as ' exceptional ' closures by DENI, so these days do not need to be recovered .
2 days were taken from ' optional closure ' days so will be re instated from closures planned later in the year.

Secondary schools should go to blended learning due to the wide  catchment areas and number of pupils. Primary schools seem to be less affected by spikes , +ve cases and isolation incidents.

marty34

Quote from: delgany on October 27, 2020, 12:23:17 PM

3 days were assigned as ' exceptional ' closures by DENI, so these days do not need to be recovered .
2 days were taken from ' optional closure ' days so will be re instated from closures planned later in the year.

Secondary schools should go to blended learning due to the wide  catchment areas and number of pupils. Primary schools seem to be less affected by spikes , +ve cases and isolation incidents.

Do you reckon they'll do the same at Christmas i.e. finish up a week earlier?

lfdown2

I would have thought not - it appears to me that they have decided 2 weeks in the magic number, as such the end of term holiday should suffice. I would have thought if we are in a similar position by next mid term they would look at the extra week but by then it could hardly be recovered.

From a secondary teacher's experience, does blended learning work? Does it negatively affect kids from (for want of a better term) a lower socio economic background to a greater degree?

Has anything been done to facilitate future blended learning since returning to school full time?

delgany

Quote from: marty34 on October 27, 2020, 12:27:46 PM
Quote from: delgany on October 27, 2020, 12:23:17 PM

Do you reckon they'll do the same at Christmas i.e. finish up a week earlier?
The way Christmas day falls this year , most schools will have a 15/ 16 day break , Sat 19th Dec to Sunday 3rd Jan.

FermGael

So now ( in the North ) we can't take anymore than 15 pupils outside for non contact Pe but the same pupils, who will be in the same bubble, can go outside for break and lunch in numbers of more than 15 ?
Schools in the North received this gem this morning at 9.10.
2 weeks off and not a word and then they land this on a Monday morning .
They are just making this up as they go along.
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered