Rory Gallagher, the new Cavan man

Started by cavanmaniac, November 13, 2006, 10:24:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cavanmaniac

What is the word on Lyng anyway? Has he played anything for the Gaels at all, despite making himself available for the county final? That guy needs to be handled with absolute kid gloves if you ask me. I'd give him a few subs run outs against the weaker sides in the league and hopefully have him worked up a good level of fitness and durability by the championship in May. Don't risk him!

Especially now we've got 'our' Rory...

BallyhaiseMan

he hasnt played for the Gaels no.
Unless he played in the under 21 replay against Lurgan last Saturday which i wasnt at...He didnt play in the first game i know that....He also didnt play in the League semi final against Ballinagh.
as you said he needs to be brought on very slowly......Boojangles has a better knowledge of whats going on with the county panel behind the scenes,he should be able to tell us if Lyng is back training with the county yet.

Blue06

I am not sure how to react to this news.  I was the one playing the Cavanman for the Cavan Managers job tune a few months ago.

On Rory Gallagher, I guess its his desire to play inter county football as someone else said earlier that has prompted him to make this move. 

Don't know how the transfer thing works but I am guessing he will have to leave St Bridget's now.
Who he signs for will be interesting.  The paper said he was now living & working in Cavan. Where? does anyone know?
If its in the town he has 4 clubs to choose from, Cavan Gaels, Drumalee (wouldn't want him taking your place Boojangles) Killygarry & Butlersbridge.  However if Donal is orchestrating this move he might end up with Denn, must look after your own you know.

Fermanaghandsam

Cavan are making a big mistake taking rory in to the setup. There is no doubt that he is a great footballer, but the man can not be controlled.

I for one would not want him back for fermanagh. He will be a huge footballing asset to whatever club gets him, but disharmory will follow.

FermPundit

Rory Gallagher is without doubt one of the most talented players to play for Fermanagh but other players opinions on him aren't great. After our great run of 2004 he came back to the squad in 2005 and he didn't really improve the team's performance. He slowed the game down when in possession of the ball which didn't help the likes of Eamon Maguire and Mark Little. Taking into consideration that Fermanagh's game plan will probably change next year I'd be a little disappointed that he would play for a neighbouring county like Cavan when he's living just 15 minutes from his native county.

I know players have transferred among countries in the past but would Rory be the first player to transfer to a neighbouring county?
We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.

BallyhaiseMan

Indeed it wouldnt be much trouble for him and im sure hed be well compensated to travel to Fermanagh for training.
He must not be on the best of terms with the Fermanagh players/Manager/County Board.
Il more than welcome him though.  ;D

Josey Whales

very easily marked out of a game. Good freetaker- but always came across as lazy in Dublin club football. If a defender marks him tightly he doesn't like it- i doubt he'll make much impact in the bearpit of ulster football against the  real teams. Quite easily marked out of it at club level in Dublin in recent years.
Prodigious talent- bordering on genius for sheer football skill. I don't believe the mental strength goes with it though - nor the application -pity because with the application Fermanagh would have won an Ulster championship by now.

anglocelt39

Made it over at last. Initial reaction on my part was not the greatest (some things ain;t changed folks) and what I read on this board seems to confirm some of the suspicions. There are plenty of pricks in the Cavan dressing room that need to be sorted out, as in turfed out, Keogans first move seems to be to bring yet another potential ego/shitstirrer into the fold. could be very interesting for the wrong reasons. I thought that, in  a very modest way, Mulgrews no holds barred approach was a model for moving things forward in Cavan-i.e. sort out the ego's and concentrate on guys who might not have the superstar abilities but want to play in a team and represent their county. Looks like we may be going totally opposite in taking on other counties problem children to add to our own.

Another thought is that if we are to be trying to headhunt inter-couty players we should probably be looking in one or two different positions-Full back and midfield immediately spring to mind.

Anyway my sources tell me that, despite all this, the fitness level of the Gallagher lad is way above most of the locals at this stage, pretty telling for a guy that has not played inter county for a few years.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

cavan4ever

If he was doing any training atall he would b fitter than our lads  :P .. The levels of fitness this year was the worst that i have ever seen.

North Longford

Strugglling a bit with this one. At the end of the day he's not a Cavan man and he's not far from his own county.
How do any of the Cavan lads think they'd feel playing for Fermanagh for example. I don't think yee would have the same desire at all.
For that matter how would yee feel if Paddy Brady decidied he was going to play county football again but he'd perfer to cross the lough and play for his lovely neighbours in Longford. Not best pleased I'd say and to be honest (and I know the lad well) I'm not sure I'd want him because pure and simply he's not from Longford.
It's getting a bit like the old soccer transfer market to tell the truth

lynchbhoy

Funny you should say that, I saw Paddy Bradley in the Slieve Russell last Sat night...
Was thinking about starting a rumour - but you never know what his reasons for being there were...

Rossi

Why do the Cavan management think they need Gallagher, when Fermanagh improved greatly without him?

Rumour, Parkinson (Laois) another on the list of transferees(?)

cavanmaniac

If we're adapting this as a policy already, scouring other counties for mercenaries, then I'm disgusted. Not only should we rise and fall on the talent or lack of available to us within our own borders, but to be engaging in this carry on smacks of the 'short-termism' that saw the careers of shitstirrers prolonged to land us in the mess we're in at the moment - live for the moment, the instant payoff, rush the minors through, make him play even if he's still a bit injured, and let the future take care of itself.

It's a major blot on Keogan's CV that he's doing this. As anglocelt39 rightly pointed out, it illustrates that he might not have his finger on the pulse as much as we thought when it comes to analysing the discipline and commitment problem in the Cavan dressing room.

I'd stomach Gallagher's arrival if he got turfed out at the first sign of problems, but if we're running about the country recruiting shapers and egotists of various shapes and hues, then I'll have a pink fit.

Rossi

Times may be bad, but is taking on Gallagher a backward step for Cavan football?I don't think this will be of any benefit to the county in the long run.

Would the management not be better selecting lads who are committed to the county and work with them to improve their game? Whats this saying to all GAA people (coaches and players) in the county who work hard all year every year trying to improve the standard of football in the county from U-10 upwards. Is this telling them that their methods have being wrong all along?

What will Gallaghers commitment to the county be? Will he play for a club in the county or stick with St Bridgids? will he even live in the county or just have a postal address here? When things get tough will he walk away? Will the other players look at this situation and say f--k this and not bother trying for the county? or will they be of the opinion that we've another great forward here, and we might actually win something ?

mylestheslasher

Lads, Keoghan is a tosser and the worst possible choice of manager as I have said before. Getting a guy in who refused to play for his county due to distance (he was 2 hrs away and finished work every day at 4pm) and now works next door to his county and won't play with them. When the shit hits the fan and hard times come, does keoghan think that Rory will stand up and be counted?? Of course he won't. I only want Cavan men playing for Cavan and I certainly don't want a player from a neighbouring county. Why can't this management team start concentrating on the basics like getting a panel of commited cavan men and stop this shite. Already we have a management team with more members than some underage panels. This is a pathetic start if you ask me. I only hope the parkinson rumour is only a rumour too, cos i don't want him either.