The Super(ish) Leeds United Thread

Started by Rufus T Firefly, January 25, 2007, 08:14:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: Billys Boots on January 10, 2017, 09:17:07 AM
Half-daycent draw after only turning up for 45 mins last night.

Correct Billy - I got the impression that they thought they only had to turn up and strut their stuff and were quickly knocked off their stride by Cambridge. To be fair, they must have got a bollocking at half time and came out a different team. Played some nice football, dominated territory and possession and came out deserving winners.

The yellow card for Jansson means that he misses the next two games - Derby and Barnsley - which is a real blow. There seems to be a determination by the Club to reach his target for matches played which then triggers the transfer from Torino.   

Billys Boots

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on January 10, 2017, 10:06:16 AM
Quote from: Billys Boots on January 10, 2017, 09:17:07 AM
Half-daycent draw after only turning up for 45 mins last night.

Correct Billy - I got the impression that they thought they only had to turn up and strut their stuff and were quickly knocked off their stride by Cambridge. To be fair, they must have got a bollocking at half time and came out a different team. Played some nice football, dominated territory and possession and came out deserving winners.

The yellow card for Jansson means that he misses the next two games - Derby and Barnsley - which is a real blow. There seems to be a determination by the Club to reach his target for matches played which then triggers the transfer from Torino.

That's very Yorkshire thinking - the kind of thinking that has Leeds where it is.  Jansson is the main reason why they'ye been so good at the back recently, and now they've lost him for two very difficult games.  You'd despair, if it hadn't happened over and over and over for the last 40 years. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Rufus T Firefly

Another very impressive performance last night at home to a Derby County side who themselves have been showing good form. Leeds dominated the game for all but the first fifteen minutes of the second half and could (and indeed should) have won by two or three goals.

The win was all the more impressive when the absentees were considered - Pontus Jansson and Charlie Taylor were both missing from the defence. However Leeds were full of energy, aggression and some nice one touch football. The midfield were all excellent - Kemar Roofe, Liam Bridcutt, Ronaldo Viera and man of the match Pablo Hernandez.

Whilst there is so much to be positive about, there are causes for concern - Rob Green (who had a good game last night, save for an error which saw a goal disallowed) still does not convince, and more fire-power is needed up front - two exceptional displays against Villa and Derby which brought about the sum of two goals, despite many, many chances being created.

Next league match - away to Barnsley - is on live next week ( :)) - say it quietly, but things are looking up!! 

Avondhu star

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on January 14, 2017, 11:29:30 AM
Another very impressive performance last night at home to a Derby County side who themselves have been showing good form. Leeds dominated the game for all but the first fifteen minutes of the second half and could (and indeed should) have won by two or three goals.

The win was all the more impressive when the absentees were considered - Pontus Jansson and Charlie Taylor were both missing from the defence. However Leeds were full of energy, aggression and some nice one touch football. The midfield were all excellent - Kemar Roofe, Liam Bridcutt, Ronaldo Viera and man of the match Pablo Hernandez.

Whilst there is so much to be positive about, there are causes for concern - Rob Green (who had a good game last night, save for an error which saw a goal disallowed) still does not convince, and more fire-power is needed up front - two exceptional displays against Villa and Derby which brought about the sum of two goals, despite many, many chances being created.

Next league match - away to Barnsley - is on live next week ( :)) - say it quietly, but things are looking up!!

Away to Barnsley! Do ye bring your own ferrets?
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

Mourne Rover

The Derby performance was outstanding against a side with a large budget who are serious play-offs rivals. It is just a pity that two goalkeeping errors cost us the points against both Newcastle and Brighton earlier in the season and have left the gap at the top still fairly large. However, Leeds are now the form side in the division and there can be no doubt that Monk is a hugely impressive young manager.

Billys Boots

A very impressive performance indeed.  Hayling looks like a star in the making.  And young Viera could be the business.  Almost convinced to be hopeful, but experience tells me otherwise.  Barnsley will be difficult. 

ziggy90

Oakwell is one of my favourite grounds in the country. Great little town to have a few beers in.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

Billys Boots

Quote from: Billys Boots on January 16, 2017, 09:06:38 AM

A very impressive performance indeed.  Hayling looks like a star in the making.  And young Viera could be the business.  Almost convinced to be hopeful, but experience tells me otherwise.  Barnsley will be difficult.

I feckin' told ye - Leeds were not good.  Hopefully they can pick it up and go again. 

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: Billys Boots on January 23, 2017, 11:24:51 AM
I feckin' told ye - Leeds were not good.  Hopefully they can pick it up and go again.

Terrible performance with many of those who starred against Derby being completely anonymous - seemed to be caught on the back foot from the start and could never impose themselves despite taking the lead. A couple of the Barnsley goals were very avoidable, whilst their second and third goals were both stunning efforts, which make you feel it is not your day. It is a long season, and all teams drop points on a regular enough basis, so hopefully a quick return to action against Forest can exorcise the demons from this match.  The return of Jansson will be very welcome.

SLIGONIAN

Gents we are way ahead of where any of us thought we would be, the lunatic cellino has been muzzled by Radriazzini, who looking into his background is the owner we have been praying for, he will buy us 100% in the summer no matter where we finish, there were rumours only for Rad Monk would have been sacked early in the season, Jansson is a big loss and will be back to partner bartley on Wednesday, the forest game will tell us a lot, Sutton utd on the weekend will give the squad members a run out, with mowatt and Phillips getting deserved runs, We have a good young team. Against Barnsley we did not get stuck in enough early on, our set pieces are great with hernandez, we need Charlie taylor back at left back, berardi is good but hes not as potent going forward, Ayling is good but can get caught for pace out wide, and we need back up for Wood, he played very well on Friday and hes got some amount of goals this season, sometimes his touch and hold up play is poor but he can finish, doukara is hit and miss, strong but poor ability at times, 48% pass completion against Barnsley not good enough, Eunan o kane back from injury is a boost,

Rad needs to be held to account and fair play to Leeds fans staying informed enough to see if owner is shafting us or not, I feel positive that cellino will be gone and Rad is in so I feel future is bright.
MOT
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Rufus T Firefly

Great response to the Barnsley defeat. Team seemed to play with a lot of confidence and on the basis of chances created, should have won by three or four. For anyone who hasn't seen it, check out Doukara's screamer of a volley on youtube.

I see we've let Alex Mowatt go to Barnsley, which I think is very disappointing - great young talent who I thought had a lot to offer. Brings into sharp focuse our transfer dealings as 31 Janaury approaches. Is anyone coming in?  ???

bennydorano

I see this thread was 10 years old last week. Is that 10 years of unrelenting depression or would that take in a few good years before it all went pear shaped?

cornerback

Quote from: bennydorano on January 29, 2017, 08:09:07 PM
I see this thread was 10 years old last week. Is that 10 years of unrelenting depression or would that take in a few good years before it all went pear shaped?

Leeds were relegated from the Premier League in 2004 & ten years ago they were in their first of 3 seasons in League One!!

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: bennydorano on January 29, 2017, 08:09:07 PM

Depression sounds about right - when the thread started, Leeds were in their third season out of the premiership, in the Championship and were about to be relegated to Division One.

When I was younger, I thought the eight years out of the top flight between 1982 and 1990 was an eternity - we're now at season thirteen and somehow it seems to have gone quicker - life flies when you're having fun.  ::)

Watched the Cup defeat today and I knew after five minutes we were going to take a spill. Inexperienced team, unfamiliar surface and an underdog seriously up for the contest in crappy conditions - there was only one winner from minute one. Largely irrelevant anyway - the Blackburn match next up is much more important.

Billys Boots

This is the first year of the thirteen that I've felt that Leeds had a chance to make it back to the top flight.  A chance, mind as they are not yet at Brighton's or Newcastle's level - it might be a year too early.