The nauseating stench of hypocrisy...

Started by Evil Genius, August 16, 2011, 06:01:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evil Genius

Published on Wednesday 10 August 2011 08:29

CANCER charity Marie Curie has distanced itself from an event being held memory of a dead IRA man and which purports to donate its proceeds to the charity.

A resident from Pomeroy contacted the News Letter to express serious concerns after flyers appeared in Tyrone advertising the "Seamus Woods Tug-of-War Annual Tournament" to be held in Pomeroy on Saturday, August 13 at 1pm.

What appears to be the logo of the Marie Curie charity also appears on the poster, with the words, "Proceeds Towards".

"Flyers promoting this event have gone up all over Pomeroy and Dungannon in memory of Seamus Woods," said the resident.

"But Seamus Woods was an IRA member who was killed when the bomb he was transporting to Pomeroy police station exploded prematurely in 1988.

"These flyers are in many of the shop windows in Pomeroy, saying all proceeds will be given to Marie Curie.

"But I had 13 friends from the Pomeroy area killed by the IRA and I know many people would not be keen to see this charity associated with such an event."

Marie Curie distanced itself from the event.

"We were not aware of this event, have no involvement and were unaware that our logo was being used to promote the event," a spokeswoman said.

"Members of the public often create their own events to benefit Marie Curie or decide to donate proceeds from an existing event without advising us."

TUV leader Jim Allister said Marie Curie was being "abused" by the organisers of the event.

"Woods was an IRA terrorist killed when mortars he was preparing for an attack on Pomeroy RUC station prematurely exploded," he said.

"Marie Curie is a very worthy charity which does a great deal of good work. It should not be abused in an attempt to bring a veneer of respectability to a celebration of terror."

However, Cookstown Sinn Fein councillor Cahal Mallaghan defended the tug-of-war tournament.

"It will come as no surprise that republicans commemorate their dead all over Ireland," he said.

"Seamus was a member of the Pomeroy community and it is important for his friends and family to remember him every year."

Mr Mallaghan said the event was organised by the Seamus Woods Commemoration Committee. He had helped run the event at Pomeroy Plunketts GAC for a number of years as a steward. Although not able to attend the event this year, he said his party, fully supported it. Mr Mallaghan said he could not comment on the use of the Marie Curie logo on posters.

Ulster Unionist MLA for Mid-Ulster, Sandra Overend, branded the flyers "disgusting and insensitive".

She added: "If republicans wish to commemorate the evil deeds of Seamus Woods then I for one do not believe that the good name of Marie Curie Cancer Care should be sullied by being used to publicise the event," she said.

"Furthermore, if the GAA is trying to de-politicise itself and make meaningful efforts to engage with other communities, then it would need to ensure that terrorist commemorations are not permitted in GAA premises."

The secretary of the Tyrone GAA county board, Dominic McCaughey, said he was not aware of the event and directed questions to the secretary of Pomeroy Plunketts GAC. When contacted by the News Letter, the club secretary declined to comment.
http://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/local/charity_has_no_involvement_in_ira_event_1_2948174
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Nally Stand

Hmmmm, a complaint which the whole of East Tyrone know originated in the first place from a small number of UVF members within Pomeroy who have caused tensions around Seamus Woods events every year in Pomeroy.

Doesn't sound like Marie Curie are too bothered either. I'd imagine they will be happy enough to receive a donation from any quarter. Certainly their response below looks that way.

Quote from: Evil Genius on August 16, 2011, 06:01:40 PM
Marie Curie distanced itself from the event.
"We were not aware of this event, have no involvement and were unaware that our logo was being used to promote the event," a spokeswoman said.
Members of the public often create their own events to benefit Marie Curie or decide to donate proceeds from an existing event without advising us."

P.S. That's an out of date story by now EG. The event has come and gone.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

thejuice

As said on the GAA page its been discussed at great length on Slugger. Every possible opinion anyone here could have on this topic is on there. Go get your fill there gents.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Lar Naparka

Quote from: thejuice on August 16, 2011, 07:26:37 PM
As said on the GAA page its been discussed at great length on Slugger. Every possible opinion anyone here could have on this topic is on there. Go get your fill there gents.

Fair enough but there's feck all on the GAA page to induce anyone to go over to Slugger and see what's being posted there. You did mention it in passing and Nally made a reference to it also neither dwelt on it at length. Beside, if I should want to pass comment on it, I'd have to register with the Slugger site and take my chances there.
I don't know enough about the background details to give my tuppence worth anywhere but I was looking forward to reading what posters here had to say.
Seems there is damn all interest here but EG was entitled to bring the matter up for discussion.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

ludermor

FFS Lar , at this stage you could list out everyones views on this in teh same way it is repeated on every single thread of this nature.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: ludermor on August 17, 2011, 12:15:32 PM
FFS Lar , at this stage you could list out everyones views on this in the same way it is repeated on every single thread of this nature.

As are the numerous "church" threads, it's getting kinda boring now
Tbc....

Nally Stand

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on August 17, 2011, 12:21:49 PM
FFS Lar , at this stage you could list out everyones views on this in the same way it is repeated on every single thread of this nature.

+1. Blame that Mayo dickhead.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

ludermor

Quote from: Nally Stand on August 17, 2011, 12:26:23 PM

+1. Blame that Mayo d**khead.
There is as much blame on the clown who reply to him!

Lar Naparka

FFS Lar , at this stage you could list out everyones views on this in teh same way it is repeated on every single thread of this nature.

Fine; there's little or no interest in the topic on this discussion board. EG posted this topic and nobody seems interested in discussing it and that's okay by me. I was hoping we'd have a balanced discussion here and we'd get to have both sides of the story presented. That's all.
Besides, I never visited the Slugger site before and had to do a bit of rooting about before I found the article I was looking for. I wouldn't have hit on it by accident if I chanced to follow O'Neill's link out of curiosity.
On top of all that the stuff there is in blog format. If I had wanted to comment, I'd have to register first and I'm not interested in doing that. Anyway, the scope for comment on a blog is more restricted than on a discussion forum.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Nally Stand

Well Lar, as I mentioned above, it is a non-story anyway, and Marie Curie seem content enough about it. Dull thread.

sheamy

I was getting angry there. I thought they named an event after yer man from Tyrone in the CCCC that introduced all the stupid rules in football a few years ago there! Am calmed down now.

ludermor

Quote from: Lar Naparka on August 17, 2011, 01:26:11 PM

Fine; there's little or no interest in the topic on this discussion board. EG posted this topic and nobody seems interested in discussing it and that's okay by me. I was hoping we'd have a balanced discussion here and we'd get to have both sides of the story presented. That's all.
Besides, I never visited the Slugger site before and had to do a bit of rooting about before I found the article I was looking for. I wouldn't have hit on it by accident if I chanced to follow O'Neill's link out of curiosity.
On top of all that the stuff there is in blog format. If I had wanted to comment, I'd have to register first and I'm not interested in doing that. Anyway, the scope for comment on a blog is more restricted than on a discussion forum.
Really??? EG never starts a thread that going to get a balanced discussion, its always loaded in one direction .  It will always desend into the usual suspects from both sides going over arguments that have been had for ever

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: ludermor on August 17, 2011, 12:28:43 PM

He does seem to goad responses out of people, but honestly MGHU is destroying this forum with his inane/ill-informed/childish/posts/rants/bile (delete as appropriate).
Tbc....

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on August 17, 2011, 04:16:23 PM
Quote from: ludermor on August 17, 2011, 12:28:43 PM

He does seem to goad responses out of people, but honestly MGHU is destroying this forum with his inane/ill-informed/childish/posts/rants/bile (delete as appropriate).

All hail the Irish Republican Army and the Mother Roman Catholic Church. I have been to confession all my sins have been forgiven can I join the cool gang now?
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Nally Stand

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on August 17, 2011, 04:16:23 PM

As if to prove your point...
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on August 17, 2011, 05:15:04 PM
All hail the Irish Republican Army and the Mother Roman Catholic Church. I have been to confession all my sins have been forgiven can I join the cool gang now?