The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kidder81

Quote from: screenexile on February 18, 2023, 12:57:03 AM
Is it really that funny?

I think there's been a huge over reaction to it but I don't think it was a good idea or particularly funny.

I don't think he needed you or me to think it's funny, he isn't a comedian

RedHand88

Is it really that funny?

I think there's been a huge over reaction to it but I don't think it was a good idea or particularly funny.

Yes.

Kidder81

Milltown Row2

Been watching Full swing on Netflix... enjoying the background stuff
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Orior

Seamun Power seems to be the leading Irishman this weekend.

On current form, Rory can forget about the full sweep of majors for another year.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Orior

Cork jersey at the 18th green.

johnnycool

Quote from: RedHand88 on February 18, 2023, 12:13:09 PM
Is it really that funny?

Yes.

What's the background to Tiger giving your man the tampon?

thewobbler

JT is Tiger's best friend on tour. Tiger almost treats him like a little brother.

It's just their own banter, a visual representation of the "did that get caught in your skirt?" type of remark that follows a shot that doesn't go very far.

It's a shite joke but anyone getting offended needs a punishment, maybe something along the lines of having to spend a couple of hours in a room with a dozen other people who get offended by things that don't matter; just to pick up on how daft it is.

Orior

Quote from: johnnycool on February 20, 2023, 04:08:32 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on February 18, 2023, 12:13:09 PM
Is it really that funny?

Yes.

What's the background to Tiger giving your man the tampon?

Even golfer Paige Spiranac made a joke about it on her Twitter account.

Gabriel_Hurl

We all excited for the start of the new LIV season tomorrow?  :D

JPGJOHNNYG

I cant keep track. A few new signings this year does that mean a few have crawled back to the PGA or euro tour as Liv only has space for 48. (I hope they were told to get to f**k)

Gabriel_Hurl

None back to the PGA - the lads dropped are off to the Asian Tour - but can be called back at any time.
Kaymer is missing this event with injury and Laurie Canter has come in to replace him.

There's stories now that Koepka is having second thoughts and might head back.

trailer

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on February 23, 2023, 09:24:08 PM

Answer me this. How are LIV gonna make any future stars? It's a team makey uppy 54 hole competition. There doesn't seem to be that back 9 Sunday duels that elevate ordinary golfers into household names. For now it's grand few old guys who were fairly handy looking for a pay check but in 5 or 10 years that won't have the same draw. Where's the future in this? Do they continue to poach the tours best? Like the money while abundant isn't infinite.

JPGJOHNNYG

Really enjoyed full swing on netflix. They fairly picked the players to follow with almost all of them involved in big drama during the year. I remember feeling really sorry for mito Pereira doing a van de velde at the PGA but now he is at Liv slap it up him. The last episode on Rory was great, shame it brought back memories of that aussie red neck beating him at st Andrews

thewobbler

Quote from: trailer on February 24, 2023, 10:03:54 AM
Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on February 23, 2023, 09:24:08 PM

Answer me this. How are LIV gonna make any future stars? It's a team makey uppy 54 hole competition. There doesn't seem to be that back 9 Sunday duels that elevate ordinary golfers into household names. For now it's grand few old guys who were fairly handy looking for a pay check but in 5 or 10 years that won't have the same draw. Where's the future in this? Do they continue to poach the tours best? Like the money while abundant isn't infinite.

LiV has already peaked.

Its only potential for survival is in usurping the PGA Tour for public interest. Which it can't do in the short term because that's where Rory & Tiger hang out, plus every serious player in the world apart from Smith and DJ is there keeping them honest. And it can't do in the medium term because each of the next two seasons will see all LiV players drop out of the OWGR top 50 and the 4 x Major fields, aside from those who've gained exemptions from previous Major titles. It can't do it in the long term because even if they recruited every college star for a decade, without some way of them being able to prove themselves against McIlroy, Rahm, Sheffler, they just aren't marketable.

They might cause a stir here and there for a few years. Smith could carry the torch by himself into majors if he stays sharp. Bryson has a certain star power which could make news if he finds form. But it won't be enough.

On the plus side they did take some of my least favourite golfers - Casey, Garcia, Na - away from the Tour. So some thanks is offered.