Diesel, petrol, oil price watch

Started by Dire Ear, March 08, 2022, 10:00:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on August 30, 2022, 03:48:12 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on August 30, 2022, 01:31:42 PM
They seem to do a loy of things better-its going to be so amazing when SF get in, it will be 20p per litre

Are they planning to take the Republic out of the Eurozone?  :o

As for my own anecdotes, petrol & diesel prices are stating to rise on this side of the border again. In terms of cost difference with the Republic, there's very little for petrol but there's certainly a good difference in diesel. Also I topped up by oil tank about a week & a half ago with 300 litres for £260 - getting the same amount from the same supplier today is £320!

Going by some of the lads on here, we will all be back in the commonwealth under the queens pound

Jim Bob

Anyone ever buy tank of diesel for their motors when it was cheaper ?

redzone

Quote from: Jim Bob on August 30, 2022, 05:14:10 PM
Anyone ever buy tank of diesel for their motors when it was cheaper ?
Yes we do but it's kerosene. It's kept up at the farm and the wife and i use out of it . It's a massive saving in the year. Risky but worth it

johnnycool

Was driving past a Eurospar the other day and they'd bags of coal, 20KG for £17.95... That's over £10 dearer than this time last year.

FFS has Putin blocked the coal exports as well?

armaghniac

Putin has not blocked coal exports, but people have chosen not to do business with him.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Wildweasel74

ardtole

A friend of mine owns a petrol station and told me last month that he expects coal to reach £40/€50 this winter for a 40kg bag.

This winter could see a lot of hardship, particularly for the elderly.

sensethetone

Quote from: johnnycool on September 01, 2022, 04:57:10 PM
Was driving past a Eurospar the other day and they'd bags of coal, 20KG for £17.95... That's over £10 dearer than this time last year.

FFS has Putin blocked the coal exports as well?

Heard that the shipping costs to import a vessel load went up massively and that all the loading shovels and fork lifts etc are now on clear rather than red diesel.

Not defending the justification.

toby47

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on September 02, 2022, 12:56:56 AM
Coal couldn't be that price?

It is surely, was £7 about a year ago, now around £17.

JoG2

Quote from: toby47 on September 02, 2022, 08:16:11 AM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on September 02, 2022, 12:56:56 AM
Coal couldn't be that price?

It is surely, was £7 about a year ago, now around £17.

Last fill of my bunker earlier this year was £72, now £124. 1000ltrs of oil up over £100 in the last week... Criminal

imtommygunn

How much of these price rises are legit vs how much is price gouging?

Hereiam

You need to factor in the exchange rate between the dollar and the pound.

The pound has been dropping like a rock lately due to the poor forecast of the UK economy and because oil is traded in Dollars it is making it more expensive for the UK to buy.

Of course this has noting to do with Brexit  ::)

imtommygunn

Brexit, exchange rates, the actual cost of gas / oil whether that be due to Ukraine scenario or not and the fact that people are blindly robbing us too seem to be all the factors...

keep her low this half

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on September 02, 2022, 12:17:29 PM
Quote from: Hereiam on September 02, 2022, 10:01:15 AM
You need to factor in the exchange rate between the dollar and the pound.

The pound has been dropping like a rock lately due to the poor forecast of the UK economy and because oil is traded in Dollars it is making it more expensive for the UK to buy.

Of course this has noting to do with Brexit  ::)

Bib - pointed that out a few posts ago!

The Euro has also been weakening against the US Dollar, albeit not as much.

Brexit is a factor, but not the only one.
Graph the price of Sterling against the dollar since 2016 and the Brexit vote, down, down, down. It has lost 20-25% of its value since Brexit.

toby47

A bit of a drop in prices overnight?

Kerosene dropped 5.5p/ltr & Diesel dropped 4.5p/ltr.