Diesel, petrol, oil price watch

Started by Dire Ear, March 08, 2022, 10:00:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taylor

Used car prices are scandalous here.
Some used cars have appreciated in value in the last 18 months - and by 1000's & 1000's.

Bound to be more value in buying a new car (if you can get one that is)

J70

Quote from: johnnycool on March 15, 2022, 10:32:10 AM
Quote from: whitey on March 14, 2022, 09:14:15 PM
Quote from: J70 on March 14, 2022, 08:01:54 PM
Quote from: whitey on March 14, 2022, 06:23:08 PM
There's a new RAV 4 plug in Hybrid over here-first 40 miles are done on a charge, then gasoline kicks in

There's a long waiting list and now some dealerships are getting $5K ABOVE MSRP

I'm looking for a used car right now and you can't touch a hybrid-you'd be as well off buying a regular car and just putting the difference towards petrol

Crazy times

The waiting lists are on a lot of brands.

I had to trade in last summer as my old car developed a few issues which, unless you're a mechanic yourself, cost more to fix than the car was worth.

Luckily our dealer had a new car we liked enough to buy straight away (Subaru Outback XT), but had we not taken that colour/options, you were looking at three weeks for the next delivery. Apparently its months now and gouged-up prices at some dealers.

I have learner drivers that I need a car for

$20K just became $30K

World wide shortage of processor chips caused by factories in SE Asia, China etc etc being well down in capacity during Covid and they still haven't caught up on that backlog, chips are now x 10 the prices in some instances that they should be and that's pushing the prices of cars and lots of other things up..

Saw a headline that Ford in the US are going to start shipping their Explorers (mid-size SUV in US, monster-size everywhere else) without certain chip-based features like rear climate control and have the customers come back to the dealer months later for the installation.

Mario

Considering filling the car with red. I've heard people say i wouldn't put red in a good car. Does anyone know why? Is it not just the same product with a dye in it so customs can tell the difference.

general

Quote from: Mario on March 15, 2022, 02:45:00 PM
Considering filling the car with red. I've heard people say i wouldn't put red in a good car. Does anyone know why? Is it not just the same product with a dye in it so customs can tell the difference.

Makes diddly squat of a difference to the car engine, its just a dye in the diesel. The benefits that used to be there (low cost) is not there anymore however. Considering its in the region of £500 (first offence NI) or 1500 euro (first offence roi) if you are dipped you need to make the decision is it enough of a risk to take. I know a lad who drove on it for years before he started getting company cars and he saved himself a clean fortune in the long run.

70l tank white currently approx £1.8p/l - 126 quid fill
same red fill approx £1.40 p/l - £98 quid fill.

is a saving of 28 quid a fill enough to make you drive on the red? I would suggest its a pain in the cahoneys checking out from fbook where the dippers are and if reports are even correct.

Mario

Quote from: general on March 15, 2022, 03:55:01 PM

Makes diddly squat of a difference to the car engine, its just a dye in the diesel. The benefits that used to be there (low cost) is not there anymore however. Considering its in the region of £500 (first offence NI) or 1500 euro (first offence roi) if you are dipped you need to make the decision is it enough of a risk to take. I know a lad who drove on it for years before he started getting company cars and he saved himself a clean fortune in the long run.

is a saving of 28 quid a fill enough to make you drive on the red? I would suggest its a pain in the cahoneys checking out from fbook where the dippers are and if reports are even correct.
Surely the difference in price between red and clear is the additional taxes on clear. So the saving would be the same now as it was 2 years ago?

general_lee

I've never been dipped in 20 years of driving. Think maybe once I've been through a checkpoint as a passenger and even then was waved through. I'd say long term the risk would be worth it especially if you're commuting on motorway.

clarshack

Quote from: general_lee on March 15, 2022, 04:42:08 PM
I've never been dipped in 20 years of driving. Think maybe once I've been through a checkpoint as a passenger and even then was waved through. I'd say long term the risk would be worth it especially if you're commuting on motorway.

I've ever only been through one checkpoint myself in 26 years driving.

armaghniac

Quote from: Mario on March 15, 2022, 04:01:22 PM
Quote from: general on March 15, 2022, 03:55:01 PM

Surely the difference in price between red and clear is the additional taxes on clear. So the saving would be the same now as it was 2 years ago?

maybe the aboslute saving is the same, but that was 50% saving when oil was cheaper and is only a 25% saving now.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Wildweasel74

But given the price, they know there a greater temptation to run Red and be out dipping more.

J70

Quote from: general_lee on March 15, 2022, 04:42:08 PM

When I was a kid, we kept a tank of red/green for the tractor, but my parents never used it for the car in the five years we had a diesel (good sturdy 504 which my father ruined drawing cattle). Don't remember them or anyone else commenting on being dipped, despite my mother having a 50 mile round trip to work, but I guess it must have been around. Perhaps they didn't want to take the risk as the local guards would know the cars that belonged to farmers.

imtommygunn

Would border counties not be more susceptible to dipping? A manager of mine from about a dozen years ago got dipped near Newry and turns out the cheap diesel she was getting was that cheap for a reason.

J70

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 15, 2022, 07:21:18 PM
Would border counties not be more susceptible to dipping? A manager of mine from about a dozen years ago got dipped near Newry and turns out the cheap diesel she was getting was that cheap for a reason.

Can the authorities tell from dipping if the diesel is laundered?

Not that I'd recommend using laundered diesel in your engine with the chemical treatments they put it through to remove the dye.

whitey

If you put red into your car, does it not make the car unsellable?

J70

Quote from: whitey on March 15, 2022, 07:37:31 PM

Its the same fuel. Just a dye added. Not aware of any harm it would do.

whitey

Quote from: J70 on March 15, 2022, 07:38:24 PM
Quote from: whitey on March 15, 2022, 07:37:31 PM

Its the same fuel. Just a dye added. Not aware of any harm it would do.

I heard it stays in the system for a long period of time

The next owner could get pinched for you putting it