Medical Status of Boardmembers

Started by Ball Hopper, December 19, 2019, 03:25:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grounded

Just brilliant news and over the moon for you.

joemamas

Farrandeelin

Mighty stuff BH. Keep her lit. It gives us all a lift to read your story from day 1 and seeing how far you've travelled in the right direction.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

gerrykeegan

Always a bit nervous when this thread gets updated. But brilliant to see you getting better and better.
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

Armagh Girl

BH you are an absolute Trouper.......glad you are doing so well, and hope you continue to improve.  Stay Safe too

whitey

BH-you're an inspiration to us all.

Long May it continue

Dire Ear

Good man MrH,  continued steady progress

Farrandeelin

UnderTheLights, I kept meaning to ask how did your open heart surgery go?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Milltown Row2

Deborah James, or bowel babe as she was known through her podcast died yesterday, for me this strikes a chord due to my own father dying of bowel cancer and my sister a bowel cancer survivor...

Some cancer's are easily treated if caught early, I say easily treated but that's from my perspective of doing the hospital runs not actually taking the treatment, my sister had the signs but didn't act until the week of my dads funeral, the tumor was large and aggressive, but luckily for her was contained in the bowel and had breached the walls, one more week or two and I'd be posting a different post..

The treatment of chemo is horrible for most, but until something else is found its the only way to get most cancers, that and radiotherapy, the amount of times my sister told me to f**k off when I said you've only a few more to do you can do this was plenty, we laugh now but it was a horrible time for her and others going through it.

Check your pooh, if your are noticing something different about your body, get it checked out, prolonged niggles or coughs, few friends recently caught throat cancer, non smokers and fit guys late 40's..thankfully for them and their families they have come out the other end after doing something about it.. one of them is doing marathons now!!

Deborah James took some much time to reply to people who messaged her on social media, my sister even got a reply to her last year and listening to 5 live on the way in was a tough listen as she was a regular on that show in the evenings
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Ball Hopper

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 29, 2022, 08:56:01 AM
Deborah James, or bowel babe as she was known through her podcast died yesterday, for me this strikes a chord due to my own father dying of bowel cancer and my sister a bowel cancer survivor...

Some cancer's are easily treated if caught early, I say easily treated but that's from my perspective of doing the hospital runs not actually taking the treatment, my sister had the signs but didn't act until the week of my dads funeral, the tumor was large and aggressive, but luckily for her was contained in the bowel and had breached the walls, one more week or two and I'd be posting a different post..

The treatment of chemo is horrible for most, but until something else is found its the only way to get most cancers, that and radiotherapy, the amount of times my sister told me to f**k off when I said you've only a few more to do you can do this was plenty, we laugh now but it was a horrible time for her and others going through it.

Check your pooh, if your are noticing something different about your body, get it checked out, prolonged niggles or coughs, few friends recently caught throat cancer, non smokers and fit guys late 40's..thankfully for them and their families they have come out the other end after doing something about it.. one of them is doing marathons now!!

Deborah James took some much time to reply to people who messaged her on social media, my sister even got a reply to her last year and listening to 5 live on the way in was a tough listen as she was a regular on that show in the evenings

Early detection is indeed the key.  Schedule colonoscopy when it is recommended, age wise, and earlier if family history.

I'll have my annual colonoscopy along with a full-body CT scan by the first week of August and will report the results here by mid-August. 

Initial signs are good...a blood Carcinoembryonic Antigen (CEA) test shows very good results, although the CEA test is not a diagnostic tool, in that low levels prove nothing (but high levels would signal further review in cancer patients). 

All other blood work had normal results, except for the glucose.  Just not able to walk/exercise enough to get the levels down - hopefully that will be my only priority come August and I'll be able to start some S&C work at home and in the backyard.

Will update again mid-August. 

Nanderson

Has anyone on here ever had IV Iron infusion before? Going for one on Monday for IBD related iron anaemia and was wondering how quickly people felt the benefits from it. Heard from others who had it you can fee like a brand new person within a few weeks

Ball Hopper

Well folks, I'm delighted to provide an update that was a long time coming - recent test show no sign of any suspicious activity and the medics now consider me to be a member of the public presenting for screening tests only and not as a cancer patient.

Had CT and colonoscopy in the last 10 days and all biopsies negative and healing is continuing nicely.

CT and colonoscopy frequency moves to annually now until summer 2025 (so three more), subject to each one's findings.

No restrictions on diet, just trial and error on what effects me - I'd say the tougher to digest items like steak, lamb, brisket, and raw vegetables will be off my menu for a while, but all cooked veggies and salad leaves are back on (small amounts to start).  Won't have a spicy Chinese for a while either. Still can't process wine for some reason and a pint of cider is barely manageable - not necessarily a bad thing.

Delighted with everything.

It's been a long battle since initial diagnosis in October/November 2019, but the amazing support I've felt has got me through it step by step.

This board has been huge for me - a great place to write down my treatment plans and to soak up the support from complete strangers.  You will never know how much of a difference the posters here made, especially when I kinda struggled to meet my commitments to posting on a regular basis.

I can say now that I see no need in providing any more updates, so I'll end up with the scoreline: 

Ball Hopper 1, Cancer didn't.

Minder

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

quit yo jibbajabba

Result Ball Hopper 😎 sincere congrats

AnPuca

Delighted to hear this news BH. Been following your updates regularly and so happy for you. Sending a big hug your way and truly well done