New York

Started by Karl Kennedy, May 21, 2009, 09:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Kennedy

Heading to New York for a month in the summer. Just a quick question...

If I decide to bring no dollars with me and just use the ATMs out there, is there a charge to use it. I'm hearing different stories saying it's $5 to $10 to free, so anyone any experience of it?

AFS

Most of the cash machines that I found out there were the privately owned ones with quite large charges ($5-6).

The Iceman

you are better to bring some cash with you and maybe use a visa card from home for purchases that you can pay off when you get back
you get charged on some machines if you use one from one of the smaller private banks and even some of the bigger banks.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Karl Kennedy

Anyone aware if Maestro cards work in the ATMs and shops in the US?

nifan

5-6 dollars? that seems excessive!
usually 1-2 dollars I find!

heganboy

maestro works only if it has the visa / mastercard sign.
standard atm fee is now $3 but can be $4
if you pay by visa there is no charge and you get the exchange rate of the day of purchase (best rates)
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

5 Sams

For a wee bit of extra security you might want to consider travellers cheques....from my experience they are widely accepted in shops, bars and restaurants.
The Aristocrat Years

DennistheMenace

Not much happening in New York mate wouldn't advise going.

Fuzzman

Are you from the North or the South

When I went over for 3 months I got free banking with Nationwide as they don't have any charges on foreign transactions.
Check their website to see do they still do it?

nifan

most credit or debit cards will charge you 2.75% loading on all transactions (in addition to any cash withdrawal fee).

nationwide is the best - they have started charging a small amount while outside europe, but much lower than usual.

The Iceman

Quote from: DennistheMenace on May 29, 2009, 04:05:09 PM
There is plenty of craic to be had - just not a whole pile of work.
Come down the NJ shore  - some good spots and only a spin from Philadelphia too if you want to get a look about ya
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

heganboy

Quote from: DennistheMenace on May 29, 2009, 04:05:09 PM

Huh?

Do you mean New York, NY or New York, Texas?
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

sammymaguire

I'm with HSBC and it was free for me to use their bank machines to withdraw cash which was handy as there are plenty HSBC ATM's out there

I think the not much happening out there means work, I was there last weekend, I have to say I noticed that the pubs were alot quieter than they have been on plenty of my previous visits to NYC. Some of the shops, dept stores are also closing down floors etc

still, the weather was great and the craic was 90
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

milltown row

was in NY 16 years ago this summer. christ that long :-[

the weather was unreal, and as a 21 year old it was some spot. would love to go back for a visit. My cousin still lives in Brooklyn "Bergen street" i think, not sure. did all the sites then headed down to Wildwood NJ with the rest of the Irish. sleazy Baywatch

Karl Kennedy

Quote from: Fuzzman on May 29, 2009, 04:12:38 PM
Are you from the North or the South

When I went over for 3 months I got free banking with Nationwide as they don't have any charges on foreign transactions.
Check their website to see do they still do it?

I'm from the North. I think i'll just use the Maestro and take out plenty at a time so I don't have to use it too often. Anyone with any contacts for accomodation in New York for 6 lads? We can let on there's just three of us and bring the other three in our suitcases... ;)