Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PAULD123

Ok, hands up I thought McComiskey went to St Louis with Clarke and Colgan. Also fair enough he had (was it one season?) in Division 2. But really it doesn't change at all the point that he played in the lower divisions when making the Down senior team, plays club football in East Down and didn't go to a Newry McCrory cup school.

Despite all this he was good enough and proved it and was selected as a starter in the All-Ireland Final. So the idea that an East Down player can't make it is not true. Perhaps Michael Magee just simply didn't perform well enough to be selected. And, as he is the best Ardglass have produced for some time, maybe that is the real reason we have never seen an Ardglass player in the Senior team.

But I also still think in fairness that it is more difficult for an East Down player to get noticed than a South Down player. But that has as much to do with the level they play at, rather than distance.

thewobbler

Quote from: PAULD123 on May 26, 2014, 04:59:49 PM
Ok, hands up I thought McComiskey went to St Louis with Clarke and Colgan. Also fair enough he had (was it one season?) in Division 2. But really it doesn't change at all the point that he played in the lower divisions when making the Down senior team, plays club football in East Down and didn't go to a Newry McCrory cup school.

Despite all this he was good enough and proved it and was selected as a starter in the All-Ireland Final. So the idea that an East Down player can't make it is not true. Perhaps Michael Magee just simply didn't perform well enough to be selected. And, as he is the best Ardglass have produced for some time, maybe that is the real reason we have never seen an Ardglass player in the Senior team.

But I also still think in fairness that it is more difficult for an East Down player to get noticed than a South Down player. But that has as much to do with the level they play at, rather than distance.

I don't think so PaulD. For example, the under-21 team that made the All-Ireland final in 2009 had 7 East Down players from 6 different clubs, including the aforementioned Magee. It's swings and roundabouts. Some years there's a lot of East Down talent, other years less so. But with the majority of senior clubs in the county hailing from South Down, most years the bigger spread will come from there.

ardtole

I think the fact McCommiskey played for James at Queens was a big help in his senior football career plus the fact he is a very gifted footballer. I agree with Wobbler that the majority of players are going to come from teams that are playing senior football, it stands to reason. But I do think that their are players from our end of the county that are simply being ignored. We have had a shite defence for the best part of fifteen years, since paddy orourke and Ross and DJ our full back line in particular has been consistently poor. Could Stevie Deegans or Adam King improved the defence I would argue they would have. If Philly Gill was from Clonduff or Mayobridge would he have got a chance with the county? probably. Im not saying there are half a dozen county standard footballers ready to take Down to the next level, there are probably none at the minute. But over the years there have been qualility players overlooked by various  Down managers.

We have won f#ck all in twenty years, in counties like Cork and Kerry they regulary have players from junior clubs, the meath full forward is from a junior club. Kilclief were in division two for approx ten years and Rosie Sloan in particular was playing very good football, how many chances did he get with Ross Carr? none, yet Gareth Johnson must have got at least half a dozen chances and he wasnt even playing club football until he joined Darragh cross I think. Its bizzare.

What concerns me in the long term, Wee James will probably pack it in after this season, a new man will get in, I hope for Mick Magees sake he gets another chance at county football. But if he does and it works out for him are any young lads in the future coming through at underage going to be thinking, I want to play for Down, will I need to transfer to RGU, im not going to get a chance at Ardglass, are the small clubs expected to be feeder clubs for senior teams? I seen Mick play 3 or 4 times in the McKenna cup and he always done alright, he got three points against tyrone, he definitley didnt look out of place. Yet some lads Eoin McCartan for example, was played in games were he was clearly injured, important games as well. Rant over.

ardtole

Quote from: PAULD123 on May 26, 2014, 04:59:49 PM

I think your thinking of one of the loughinisland brothers Jamie Oreilly I think might have played with Kilkeel.

Hedgehunter

Nevermind the East Down South Down Malarkey.. Great result for Glenn tonite in Hilltown. So much for them being the whipping boys with over a 3rd of the season having been played so far.

gaamann

As a Glenn supporter we had some great BATTLES against Ardglass  and big Mick was always a handful don't think his ability was the problem seemed hard to manage and played for himself agree with artole it is harder to make the breakthrough when your from a smaller club but don't get too caught up in all that we had players played at county minor and senior in the past few years and if anything it set the club back 2 years soldier on develope your youth keep them together and you will see progress

Predictor

Anyone any dates r hear when any of the championships will start for senior r reserve

While speaking of championship will last years junior & inter championship winners tecconaught & drumgath going to end up like prev years winners warrenpoint & dundrum who got relegrated the next season

downup

Was at the Clonduff v Glenn match last night and was very impressed with Glenn. They were very worthy winners and if truth be told should have won by more. They became very jittery in the second half but had a 9 point lead at half time so could afford a few mistakes. Mattie Bagnall was a constant thorn in the Clonduff side. They played a sweeper in the 1st half and he attacked with great purpose at every opportunity. Clonduff on the other hand were very poor, seemed to have no ideas going forward and were very poor in defence. They are definitely a club in trouble at the minute. With the big number in Div 1 they will probably survive but only just. Aidan Carr was a big miss last night and Darren O'Hagan made his first appearance of the year for the club which was a boost. Rumours are that Arthur Mc Conville is heading to America again for the summer to play football. They have some good young footballers but maybe too much being expected of the too soon. 

maldini

Quote from: ardtole on May 26, 2014, 05:58:56 PM
I think the fact McCommiskey played for James at Queens was a big help in his senior football career plus the fact he is a very gifted footballer. I agree with Wobbler that the majority of players are going to come from teams that are playing senior football, it stands to reason. But I do think that their are players from our end of the county that are simply being ignored. We have had a shite defence for the best part of fifteen years, since paddy orourke and Ross and DJ our full back line in particular has been consistently poor. Could Stevie Deegans or Adam King improved the defence I would argue they would have. If Philly Gill was from Clonduff or Mayobridge would he have got a chance with the county? probably. Im not saying there are half a dozen county standard footballers ready to take Down to the next level, there are probably none at the minute. But over the years there have been qualility players overlooked by various  Down managers.

We have won f#ck all in twenty years, in counties like Cork and Kerry they regulary have players from junior clubs, the meath full forward is from a junior club. Kilclief were in division two for approx ten years and Rosie Sloan in particular was playing very good football, how many chances did he get with Ross Carr? none, yet Gareth Johnson must have got at least half a dozen chances and he wasnt even playing club football until he joined Darragh cross I think. Its bizzare.

What concerns me in the long term, Wee James will probably pack it in after this season, a new man will get in, I hope for Mick Magees sake he gets another chance at county football. But if he does and it works out for him are any young lads in the future coming through at underage going to be thinking, I want to play for Down, will I need to transfer to RGU, im not going to get a chance at Ardglass, are the small clubs expected to be feeder clubs for senior teams? I seen Mick play 3 or 4 times in the McKenna cup and he always done alright, he got three points against tyrone, he definitley didnt look out of place. Yet some lads Eoin McCartan for example, was played in games were he was clearly injured, important games as well. Rant over.

Loughinisland

supersub

Quote from: Predictor on May 27, 2014, 12:09:43 AM
Anyone any dates r hear when any of the championships will start for senior r reserve

While speaking of championship will last years junior & inter championship winners tecconaught & drumgath going to end up like prev years winners warrenpoint & dundrum who got relegrated the next season

Sometime in June from what I hear.

rory

Quote from: supersub on May 27, 2014, 11:19:21 AM
Quote from: Predictor on May 27, 2014, 12:09:43 AM

Sometime in June from what I hear.

June 12th - 15th

islandchampions08

disgrace! the county board need to look at themselves how do ya plan anything around the gaa calendar if everything is just thrown together last minute, why was Friday nights games called of if the county players couldn't play anyway?

forevergreen

Great win for Leitrim in Burren tonight.

Have to say they were well worth their win, they worked hard and whilst I would say they are still heavily reliant on Doyle and O'Prey who both played well, they all tackled and harried Burren into coughing up position and then coverted it into attack.

I for one am worried that Burren have not only been weakened by a number of injuries and departures but they seem to be lacking belief or purpose at the minute.

We need all our available players playing regularly and with the exception of Kevin, Donal and Dan, hopefully they all will get behind the wheel. Definitely a period of transition but where is the players from the u21 teams that played so well.

Long year ahead and definitley wonkt be troubling anybody in terms of silverware this year.

Well done Leitrim tonight.

whitegoodman

Liam Doyle made wee boys out of Burren tonight who are in serious serious bother.  The current management setup there makes Frank Dawson look like Mickey Harte and Jim McGuinness combined!!!

BarryBreensBandage

Does anyone have a link or copy of the league tables after last night's matches?
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".