Scór

Started by Eamonnca1, August 02, 2017, 06:25:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

All Ireland finals are in Sligo this year. Scór na nóg was a few weeks ago, Scór sinsir is April 14th.

Seany

Went to All Ireland final in Castlebar Saturday.  Great crowd - biggest in years.  50 Years of Scor.  MC awful however.  Why would Scor have shot themselves in the foot like this?  Mumbled his way through the event. Another thing is that Scor seems to be dying in counties, and yet at this level, it's still a great day's entertainment. 

AZOffaly

We were delighted in Newport winning the Leiriu. Also my home club in Ferbane won the Ballad singing, so a great weekend all round.

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Seany on April 15, 2019, 10:55:17 AM
Went to All Ireland final in Castlebar Saturday.  Great crowd - biggest in years.  50 Years of Scor.  MC awful however.  Why would Scor have shot themselves in the foot like this?  Mumbled his way through the event. Another thing is that Scor seems to be dying in counties, and yet at this level, it's still a great day's entertainment.
Every dog has to have its day in the sun
There are plenty of other organisations who promote music and dancing.

The GAA should focus on its 3 core sports. Football, hurling, handball.

five points

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on April 15, 2019, 11:48:48 AM

What harm does it do?

BennyCake

No I strongly disagree.

It's said many times that the gaa club is the hub of the community. In some places it is. A lot of cases, it's not. Loads of clubs I know cater for underage teams. Girls and boys. Fair enough. But once over 16, left school etc, a few will remain, play u-21, senior but the majority will drop out and be more or less lost to the club. Because there's very little else for them. The only ones catered for are the elite senior footballers.

If a youngster isn't that good at football, he'll hardly feel like a valued club member. After underage, that's him gone. But he could've been a great rounders player, handballer, Irish dancer, solo singer, a great quizzer, Irish language speaker, stage performer etc. But if the club doesn't cater for any of the above, he's gone forever. And he mightn't get his own kids involved with the club either.

If the gaa club really is the hub of the community, it has to cater for all of the community. Scor should be a huge part of that.

magpie seanie

Scór is absolutely brilliant. It's just a pity a lot more people don't realise this.

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: BennyCake on April 15, 2019, 01:44:57 PM

No I strongly disagree.

It's said many times that the gaa club is the hub of the community. In some places it is. A lot of cases, it's not. Loads of clubs I know cater for underage teams. Girls and boys. Fair enough. But once over 16, left school etc, a few will remain, play u-21, senior but the majority will drop out and be more or less lost to the club. Because there's very little else for them. The only ones catered for are the elite senior footballers.

If a youngster isn't that good at football, he'll hardly feel like a valued club member. After underage, that's him gone. But he could've been a great rounders player, handballer, Irish dancer, solo singer, a great quizzer, Irish language speaker, stage performer etc. But if the club doesn't cater for any of the above, he's gone forever. And he mightn't get his own kids involved with the club either.

If the gaa club really is the hub of the community, it has to cater for all of the community. Scor should be a huge part of that.
Some clubs promote scor instead of fielding a team in hurling, football or getting a handball or rounders section going

There are other organisations who already more than cater for Irish music, dancing and other events

five points

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on April 16, 2019, 05:02:14 PM

Some clubs promote scor instead of fielding a team in hurling, football or getting a handball or rounders section going

How does that work? Scór is a winter/spring activity. Unless you're lucky enough to get to an All Ireland Final, you're out of Scór na nÓg in January and Scór Sinsir in March at the latest. If that's the best excuse a club has for not playing actual sports for the rest of the year, it's a lame one.

Ball Hopper

I believe Kilkenny is the only county that has yet to win an All-Ireland title in Scor.

marty34

No I strongly disagree.

There are other organisations who already more than cater for Irish music, dancing and other events

Culture i.e. music and dancing is part of the GAA as much as football, hurling and camogie.

A fantastic outlet for people who don't play any sport or have retired etc.  Great for the young people also.  At football, they get abuse hurled on them whereas it's great to be part of Scór.

Scór is far more entertaining than a game of senior league football any day of the week.

I love all these people who are 'great gaels' but don't want our language and culture to be part of the modern GAA.

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: marty34 on April 16, 2019, 05:25:06 PM

No I strongly disagree.

Culture i.e. music and dancing is part of the GAA as much as football, hurling and camogie.

A fantastic outlet for people who don't play any sport or have retired etc.  Great for the young people also.  At football, they get abuse hurled on them whereas it's great to be part of Scór.

Scór is far more entertaining than a game of senior league football any day of the week.

I love all these people who are 'great gaels' but don't want our language and culture to be part of the modern GAA.
What's a great gael? Define it.
The GAA is a sports organisation.
Is cuma bhfuil rudai deanta trí Gaeilge nó Bearla. Leanann na cluichí at aghaidh.

I've been to scor events, and they drag on.
Irish culture isn't defined by Irish music and dancing

five points

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on April 17, 2019, 11:37:48 AM
Quote from: marty34 on April 16, 2019, 05:25:06 PM

No I strongly disagree.

What's a great gael? Define it.
The GAA is a sports organisation.
Is cuma bhfuil rudai deanta trí Gaeilge nó Bearla. Leanann na cluichí at aghaidh.

You haven't answered my previous questions. You're trolling.

magpie seanie

Manfromdelmonte - have a wee read of the Official Guide. You might learn something.

armaghniac

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on April 17, 2019, 11:37:48 AM

No, Irish culture also has some begrudgery.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B