Wrightbus

Started by Hereiam, November 27, 2014, 08:40:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Myles Na G.

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 28, 2014, 10:27:54 AM
It is actually quite odd armaghniac that quite a number of protestants describe themselves as christian though I've never heard a catholic say it.

Christian and good living are two things you seem to hear certain denominations of the protestant faith say. It seems to be those of the presbyterian persuasion from what I have seen.
People from the protestant-unionist-loyalist (PUL) community who aren't particularly religious or church-going, will often describe themselves as 'Prods'. It's almost more of an ethnic description than a religious one. These same people will describe other PUL people who do attend church or who are religious as 'Christian' or 'good-living'. The church going types themselves may use the generic term 'Christian' if you ask them about their beliefs. Others may be more specific and give you their denomination: CoI, Methodist, etc. Free P types or some of the evangelical nutters don't regard anyone as proper Christian except their own sect, but most ordinary protestant people would regard Catholics as fellow Christians. Oddly enough, it's Catholics themselves who hesitate before describing themselves as Christians. I think there's a sub conscious arrogance in there somewhere, in that Catholics see their own denomination as the true faith, with other Christian groups being, at best, well meaning but slightly misguided believers with whom Catholics don't want to be linked.

imtommygunn

I don't think there's arrogance there - in most anyway. I would construe it as a bit paranoid to think like that to be honest.

Myles Na G.

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 30, 2014, 06:17:41 PM
I don't think there's arrogance there - in most anyway. I would construe it as a bit paranoid to think like that to be honest.
My parents' generation was taught in catechism classes 'outside the Catholic Church there is no salvation'. They were also brought up with the Ne Temere decree, which taught that only marriages in a Catholic church were valid and that children in mixed marriages had to be brought up as Catholics. I think that left a legacy in many minds that 'non Catholics' (i.e most of the world) were slightly less than equal in the belief stakes, to be viewed with some pity for not belonging to the one truth faith. Over many years, I've heard elderly relatives say words to the effect: 'She / he's a Protestant, but she's a very religious person', as if being Protestant and being religious were mutually exclusive things. Even recently, in a conversation with a relative in her 80s, I mentioned the fact Muslims use prayer beads much like Catholics use rosary beads. 'Why do they do that?' she asked. 'Dunno' sez me. 'Maybe they're counting out their prayers too.' 'Sure what prayers would they be saying?' she replied. In her head, only Catholics have prayers worth counting.

T Fearon

Surely the arrogance could equally be applied to the Protestant denominations,especially those of the evangelical variety? The difference is that we haven't had rabid anti Protestant demagogues wearing clerical garb with a toxic mix of politics/ religion to poison minds wholesale

T Fearon

Myles on your nostalgic note I remember many years ago my dear old and long departed Granny explaining to the Parish Priest that she was convinced one of the neighbours was a Protestant because " she looks like one" which caused the Priest to laugh out loud! ;D

illdecide

Quote from: T Fearon on November 29, 2014, 10:06:01 PM
Sure big companies that employ loads of people are immune from prosecution anywat

Aye right...unless you're a big catholic company and then I'd say you'd get the discrimination act and prosecution.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

T Fearon

There's a big Catholic company not too far from me that continually pollutes a major river and is never fined yet if a small farmer does the same he is hammered

illdecide

Quote from: T Fearon on December 01, 2014, 10:55:10 PM
There's a big Catholic company not too far from me that continually pollutes a major river and is never fined yet if a small farmer does the same he is hammered

And how do u know this for certain?
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

T Fearon

Know it for a fact,big employers get away with all sorts

michaelg

Quote from: T Fearon on November 30, 2014, 09:36:55 PM
Myles on your nostalgic note I remember many years ago my dear old and long departed Granny explaining to the Parish Priest that she was convinced one of the neighbours was a Protestant because " she looks like one" which caused the Priest to laugh out loud! ;D
Correct me if I'm wrong, but would you not be crying foul if a protestant said the same in reverse?  Funny how the word bigot only ever gets levelled at one side of the community.

Apparently so

armaghniac

Quote from: michaelg on December 02, 2014, 09:37:31 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but would you not be crying foul if a protestant said the same in reverse?  Funny how the word bigot only ever gets levelled at one side of the community.

I'll correct you as you are wrong. Tony's Granny did not express any dislike or bigotry towards Protestants, she merely could recognise them.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Milltown Row2

Quote from: armaghniac on December 02, 2014, 10:39:25 PM
Quote from: michaelg on December 02, 2014, 09:37:31 PM

I'll correct you as you are wrong. Tony's Granny did not express any dislike or bigotry towards Protestants, she merely could recognise them.

Because they were clean and didn't have their eyes close together lol.

Belfast was funny in that regard, you had the Post Office (Royal Mail) which had a vast majority of Catholic workers (Belfast anyway) and the Royal Victoria hospital (Royal again lol) which was again vastly catholic workers....... both were the biggest employers in N. Ireland, nothing every said about that over the years. But countered balanced by the engineering firms and the council jobs. What a shit place
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

amanda

Had a B/F who worked there, though that was 15 years ago.
Now that is a very uninteresting first post!

T Fearon

Michaelg I was merely looking back nostalgically to my Young days.Working in a factory in Portadown in the early part of the 20th century my grandmother experienced plenty of bigotry and sectarianism but despite all of this I never heard her say a bad word about anyone.