Wrightbus

Started by Hereiam, November 27, 2014, 08:40:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnneycool

Quote from: screenexile on November 28, 2014, 10:53:55 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on November 28, 2014, 10:27:54 AM
It is actually quite odd armaghniac that quite a number of protestants describe themselves as christian though I've never heard a catholic say it.

Christian and good living are two things you seem to hear certain denominations of the protestant faith say. It seems to be those of the presbyterian persuasion from what I have seen.

I was always fascinated by that quote "Oh they're good living". What does that mean? I like to think I live quite good but it seems to mean that you go to Church all the time and don't swear. Big whoop!!!

Good living for a living eh!

Hardy

Does anyone remember when people used to use "christian" as a synonym for "human being". It was standard around our way, to the extent that you'd never hear the term "human".

"That's no way to treat christian or beast."

"Ye'd think that dog was a christian, the way he can nearly talk to you."

That was before multiculturalism was discovered and nearly everyone, here anyway, was a Christian, apart from the odd Jew. We didn't even have Mormons calling to the door those times. And if we'd had, the Christian dog would probably have been set on them.

Which reminds me: What do you get if you cross a Hell's Angel with a Jehovah's Witness?
- A lad that comes to your door and tells YOU to f**k off!

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Hardy on November 28, 2014, 02:09:03 PM
Does anyone remember when people used to use "christian" as a synonym for "human being". It was standard around our way, to the extent that you'd never hear the term "human".

"That's no way to treat christian or beast."

"Ye'd think that dog was a christian, the way he can nearly talk to you."

That was before multiculturalism was discovered and nearly everyone, here anyway, was a Christian, apart from the odd Jew. We didn't even have Mormons calling to the door those times. And if we'd had, the Christian dog would probably have been set on them.

Which reminds me: What do you get if you cross a Hell's Angel with a Jehovah's Witness?
- A lad that comes to your door and tells YOU to f**k off!

Does anyone remember when the word Christian was used as a term to describe a good person, now it is used by certain elements as a term which expresses their moral superiority to the rest of us plebs and I frankly find it infuriating!

Apparently so

Quote from: michaelg on November 28, 2014, 07:44:02 AM
Quote from: Apparently so on November 27, 2014, 10:51:47 PM
They have been forced to start hiring more catholics in the last few years

Personally, I wouldn't work for them going by their history. A dodgy shower of b**tards imo

Know a few lads who work there and they it is absolutely miserable
Misreable for the non Christian / good-living Prods too I'm sure.

Well one of them is a prod so aye

T Fearon

Christian in the six county context is Bible Believing Evangelical Protestant. I once was told that a catholic lady conducting a health seminar used photos of naked parts purely to illustrate the theme,not in any gratuitous way.She was approached at the end by a former catholic nurse who had converted to evangelical Protestantism and told "As a Christian I was deeply offended by those images" The Catholic lady replied "As a Christian myself,I used the images appropriately among health professionals to enhance the training".

T Fearon

Shows the mindset all the same.evangelical Protestant and former catholic sees herself as "the Christian"

armaghniac

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on November 28, 2014, 02:19:54 PM
Does anyone remember when the word Christian was used as a term to describe a good person, now it is used by certain elements as a term which expresses their moral superiority to the rest of us plebs and I frankly find it infuriating!

In this context Christian didn't necessarily refer to a pious person or one prone to churchgoing, but rather one that recalled that the greatest commandment was to Love Thy Neighbour, or perhaps to embrace the message in the Prodigal Son. Many of those using the term as in WrightBus are not too big on the love thy neighbour end of things. 

It is tough being a Catholic in the wee 6, the Freestaters and Unionists claim you are not Irish and the Prods claim you are not Christian!
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Rossfan

Quote from: armaghniac on November 28, 2014, 09:57:48 PM
It is tough being a Catholic in the wee 6, the Freestaters and Unionists claim you are not Irish and the Prods claim you are not Christian!
Most people in the 26 Cos don't.
And by the way I'm not a "Freestater". My 2 grandfathers fought on the Anti Treaty side in the Civil War.  ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

5 Sams

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 27, 2014, 11:29:09 PM
Christians own it. Even have Church in grounds of company. Have had loads of dealings with them in my last job. Didn't know any catholic workers that whole time

Had to visit the place for work once...might be a very successful company...but its a fcukin cold house....doesn't matter who you are.
The Aristocrat Years

Milltown Row2

Quote from: armaghniac on November 28, 2014, 10:22:27 AM
In the language used in the previous posts there seems an acceptance that Catholics are not Christians, which seems rather odd. Perhaps Milltown's post should have had quotes, "Christians" own it.

Ok for the people who didn't catch what I meant...... Born again Christian. Ya have to be a numpty to not realise what I meant surely?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

armaghniac

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 28, 2014, 11:52:49 PM
In the language used in the previous posts there seems an acceptance that Catholics are not Christians, which seems rather odd. Perhaps Milltown's post should have had quotes, "Christians" own it.

Ok for the people who didn't catch what I meant...... Born again Christian. Ya have to be a numpty to not realise what I meant surely?

Me, a numpty? You must have mistaken me for someone else.
I said that I would not have used the expression  "Christian" without quotes, because I do not accept its exclusionary use.

lawnseed

Last i remember hearing about wrights they being quized abou tt the lack of catholi cs in their workforce. Their answer was as inovative as their buses they started a few polish guys..
Well it was easier than starting fenians
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

armaghniac

Quote from: lawnseed on November 29, 2014, 05:01:56 PM
Last i remember hearing about wrights they being quized abou tt the lack of catholi cs in their workforce. Their answer was as inovative as their buses they started a few polish guys..
Well it was easier than starting fenians

While this recruits Catholics of a sort it, does not quite meet the fair employment requirements, which envisage that your local recruitment would reflect the approximate distribution of the region from which workers are drawn.

T Fearon

Sure big companies that employ loads of people are immune from prosecution anywat

Milltown Row2

Quote from: armaghniac on November 29, 2014, 12:00:45 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 28, 2014, 11:52:49 PM

Me, a numpty? You must have mistaken me for someone else.
I said that I would not have used the expression  "Christian" without quotes, because I do not accept its exclusionary use.

I'll just use born again Christians from now on
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea