Has the intercounty system in football told us all it’s ever going to tell us?

Started by caprea, February 13, 2020, 05:38:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

The 90's were probably the most exciting for both codes. 8 different winners in football, 6 in hurling. Clare came from nowhere to win the hurling, Wexford too. Down Donegal and Derry likewise in football. Did it harm the inter county game that these teams were winning all Ireland's? Or Leitrim Clare Kildare won provincials? No, it gave more counties the belief that we can achieve too.

The GAA didn't collapse. Crowds were big. AI finals full house. If Sligo played Cavan I'm the AI final, it would still be sold out. You don't need Dublin Kerry finals to sell it out.

Dublin7, you mention publicity for lower counties. They're not going to get much in tier 2. Look at how Clare hurlers became household names all over Ireland in the 90's, Donegal footballers etc. That can happen for Waterford Carlow, Antrim, Limerick etc. A championship run for any county will create a buzz and get kids playing the games. That's what the GAA is all about. It's not about the best team winning every year. A run in the championship will do more for any county than coaches, facilities or winning the Mike Murphy cup. HQ can't see this.

Eire90

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Eire90

ten team league with 6 qualifying for top two get byes to semis you can have a mid summer break aswell or alternate between football and hurling.

AFM

Quote from: trailer on February 18, 2020, 11:42:49 AM
Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on February 17, 2020, 07:16:29 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on February 17, 2020, 06:49:28 PM
How will "tiered championships totally finish it"???

'cos no one will give two f**ks about the lower tiers.

Hows the Tommy Murphy cup going these days?

Why on earth do people keep repeating the same stuff and somehow expecting a different result?

In the current non tiered system no one gave a f**k. Who in the name of God wants to watch Dublin hammer Carlow or Tyrone destroy Derry? Problem with the new system is there is isn't enough tiers. We need 3 if not 4.

Why does it matter if a county gets hammered, it's a supposedly amateur sport, why cant teams get the opportunity to play the best and why cant their supporters be afforded the opportunity to watch?

Captain Obvious

Why on earth do people keep repeating the same stuff and somehow expecting a different result?

In the current non tiered system no one gave a f**k. Who in the name of God wants to watch Dublin hammer Carlow or Tyrone destroy Derry? Problem with the new system is there is isn't enough tiers. We need 3 if not 4.

We have that already. It's called the national football league..

AFM

Quote from: Eire90 on February 18, 2020, 01:18:23 PM
ten team league with 6 qualifying for top two get byes to semis you can have a mid summer break aswell or alternate between football and hurling.

And if you're county was in and around Division 2 would you be advocating such a scenario, why not let the top 10 turn fully pro and work away, you I know you can have a hell of a season and win nothing, no one is going win Sam anytime soon bar Dublin.

Look-Up!

I'd agree GAA does seem to be at a crossroads at the minute. It's amateur in name only. There's huge money involved now and the money men of course want extra games between the bigger teams to bring in more revenue. They are not particularly interested in lessening the gap between the weaker and stronger counties.
Super 8's is the perfect example. With the backdoor the mantra was extra games improves teams so it would help the weaker counties. But they're not even trying to pretend anymore. Super 8's flies in the face of their philosophy of improving the weaker teams. It will improve the stronger teams only. It's all about the money.
Personally this is how I would like to see things go but it will never happen. Keep provincials, local derbies are a huge part of championship football. Straight knockout. Provincial champions straight to AI semis like old. 2nd Tier competition for all teams up to losing provincial semi finalists (could potentially have some big names in there).
That's it. Set up the 2nd tier as open draw straight knockout and run it off in the free weekends of the main AI championship. Finish both competitions in good time for the club competitions.

BennyCake

Agree with the first part of that.

You seriously think the likes of Mayo Tyrone or Donegal will go all out to win tier 2, if they lose in the provincials?

Look-Up!

Quote from: BennyCake on February 18, 2020, 02:10:26 PM

You seriously think the likes of Mayo Tyrone or Donegal will go all out to win tier 2, if they lose in the provincials?
It's only my preference and I did say it would never happen but to answer your question.
I couldn't give a damn what they'd do. I follow Cavan when they're playing. If Cavan were in Tier 2 I'd follow them and hope they'd progress. When they're out I love the club championship and try to go to as many neutral games as possible. Wouldn't miss a game involving my club.
I used to love the big games on TV as a neutral and wouldn't miss them if I could but TBH I've never watched a Super 8 game live. Even the AI semi-finals are losing their sheen depending on the match ups. Still look forward to AI final.

jb81

Quote from: AFM on February 18, 2020, 09:44:04 AM
Quote from: jb81 on February 18, 2020, 08:31:33 AM
The only long term solution I can see is that the League must become the main competition, with promotion and relegation. All teams playing similar standard teams week in and week out. Everyone same amount of games and a double weekend in August September for the four finals ( 2 Sat and 2 Sun ). The knockout can be run off outside of that or before it if wanted as a side comp. Provincials have to go, not relevant any more in the whole scheme of things, even though they are still very important to a lot of counties, possible pre-season competition.

Its the only way I can see things improving. Its not adding any games to the intercounty calendar.  The thought of Tyrone playing Dublin one week, Donegal the next, Kerry next etc.  in the middle of the summer on good pitches sounds good to me.

Is that not a description of the super 8s!

Well no its not, and you know it.
Its an eight team league x 4 divisions ( or even 3 divisions if more games wanted for each team and provincials are not played ), rather than 2 x 4 team leagues which are played after the bigger teams have steamrolled the poorer teams in the provinces.
Everyone gets at least 7 games v teams of close to equal quality.
It cuts our the dross of like Dublin v Carlow in Leinster for example and most games should be somewhat competitive.

There have been some great games over the last few weeks, in awful conditions, I would love to see these played over the summer week after week. Can't see why anyone wouldn't want their county doing same, against equal opposition.

BennyCake

Quote from: Look-Up! on February 18, 2020, 02:32:50 PM

It's only my preference and I did say it would never happen but to answer your question.
I couldn't give a damn what they'd do. I follow Cavan when they're playing. If Cavan were in Tier 2 I'd follow them and hope they'd progress. When they're out I love the club championship and try to go to as many neutral games as possible. Wouldn't miss a game involving my club.
I used to love the big games on TV as a neutral and wouldn't miss them if I could but TBH I've never watched a Super 8 game live. Even the AI semi-finals are losing their sheen depending on the match ups. Still look forward to AI final.

Fans will care what they do. Sponsors too, TV stations, newspapers etc.

Imagine the scenario where Donegal in tier 2 have to field without Murphy, Brennan, McHugh, McBrearty, McGee, Gallagher, Langan etc. Lots of fans won't turn up, TV won't show it, sponsors don't get noticed, newspapers won't get sold, jersies won't sell, hotels, restaurants, cafes suffers. Kids don't see their idols up close and lose interest. The interest might not return.

That's what will happen in tier 2.

AFM

Quote from: jb81 on February 18, 2020, 02:46:45 PM
Quote from: AFM on February 18, 2020, 09:44:04 AM
Quote from: jb81 on February 18, 2020, 08:31:33 AM
The only long term solution I can see is that the League must become the main competition, with promotion and relegation. All teams playing similar standard teams week in and week out. Everyone same amount of games and a double weekend in August September for the four finals ( 2 Sat and 2 Sun ). The knockout can be run off outside of that or before it if wanted as a side comp. Provincials have to go, not relevant any more in the whole scheme of things, even though they are still very important to a lot of counties, possible pre-season competition.

Its the only way I can see things improving. Its not adding any games to the intercounty calendar.  The thought of Tyrone playing Dublin one week, Donegal the next, Kerry next etc.  in the middle of the summer on good pitches sounds good to me.

Is that not a description of the super 8s!

Well no its not, and you know it.
Its an eight team league x 4 divisions ( or even 3 divisions if more games wanted for each team and provincials are not played ), rather than 2 x 4 team leagues which are played after the bigger teams have steamrolled the poorer teams in the provinces.
Everyone gets at least 7 games v teams of close to equal quality.
It cuts our the dross of like Dublin v Carlow in Leinster for example and most games should be somewhat competitive.

There have been some great games over the last few weeks, in awful conditions, I would love to see these played over the summer week after week. Can't see why anyone wouldn't want their county doing same, against equal opposition.

You seem fixated on all counties playing again equal opposition, its sport and within GAA it is a unique sport, you play for the county you are from, this means talent comes and goes and teams change for the better or the worse. Why should a county be excluded from ever having the opportunity to play one of the current top 8 teams.

Rossfan

Quote from: AFM on February 18, 2020, 01:19:56 PM

Why does it matter if a county gets hammered, it's a supposedly amateur sport, why cant teams get the opportunity to play the best and why cant their supporters be afforded the opportunity to watch?
They are in the Provincials. Not too many turning up to watch in Leinster or Munster in recent years.
Any County let all its Clubs play in a single tier Championship???
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Look-Up!

Quote from: BennyCake on February 18, 2020, 02:53:59 PM
Quote from: Look-Up! on February 18, 2020, 02:32:50 PM

Fans will care what they do. Sponsors too, TV stations, newspapers etc.

Imagine the scenario where Donegal in tier 2 have to field without Murphy, Brennan, McHugh, McBrearty, McGee, Gallagher, Langan etc. Lots of fans won't turn up, TV won't show it, sponsors don't get noticed, newspapers won't get sold, jersies won't sell, hotels, restaurants, cafes suffers. Kids don't see their idols up close and lose interest. The interest might not return.

That's what will happen in tier 2.
Yes they will so with proper incentives for the competition why would footballers from serious football counties walk away? Not exactly endearing to management or fans.
And there's still the main competition to draw the hordes and get sponsorship.
Personally I have zero interest in Super 8s. It might work short term for a revenue point of view but I think they need to be careful they don't push too far and kill the goose.