Donegal vs Armagh Ulster Championship 2022

Started by Armagh18, March 31, 2022, 10:21:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armagh18

Quote from: tyrone08 on April 11, 2022, 10:13:57 PM
Bit of a farce when the only player who is clearly caught on camera striking gets off. Puts the pressure back on armagh now as they don't have an excuse if they fail to beat Donegal.

Would expect the other ones to get off as there wasn't as much evidence for them as there was for Rian.
The other 3 are huge losses plus there are injuries to the next in line to replace them.

naka

Quote from: Armagh18 on April 12, 2022, 07:46:20 AM
Quote from: tyrone08 on April 11, 2022, 10:13:57 PM
Bit of a farce when the only player who is clearly caught on camera striking gets off. Puts the pressure back on armagh now as they don't have an excuse if they fail to beat Donegal.

Would expect the other ones to get off as there wasn't as much evidence for them as there was for Rian.
The other 3 are huge losses plus there are injuries to the next in line to replace them.
Mackin is out anyways,
Nugent is a big loss hopefully turbitt and Mc quillan can offset Campbell loss
Grimley also needs to find some form

yellowcard

Quote from: naka on April 12, 2022, 07:43:36 AM
Other three suspensions stand I believe
Process for O Neill was always going to be challenged.

Yet still nobody knows what the other 3 lads did to warrant suspensions (or the Donegal lads for that matter). There is no video evidence showing their discretions, at least with O'Neill you could see some form of semblance of a striking action no matter how minimal it was.

So if the same thing happens again, a few random lads from each side will get pulled out by the referee based on his proximity to them at the time. Instead of basing it on the actual available video evidence which doesn't show them doing anything more than any other player. 

Keyboard Warrior

Quote from: yellowcard on April 12, 2022, 09:44:16 AM

Yet still nobody knows what the other 3 lads did to warrant suspensions (or the Donegal lads for that matter). There is no video evidence showing their discretions, at least with O'Neill you could see some form of semblance of a striking action no matter how minimal it was.

So if the same thing happens again, a few random lads from each side will get pulled out by the referee based on his proximity to them at the time. Instead of basing it on the actual available video evidence which doesn't show them doing anything more than any other player.

Presume for 'contributing to a melee' which is ill-defined to say the least.

Armagh18

What was the technicality O'Neill got off on I wonder? As I've said before, whole process needs to be far far more transparent

trueblue1234

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on April 12, 2022, 09:47:44 AM
Did we ever hear the reasons the Tyrone players were banned? That was a right while ago.

I imagine counties were given this info.

Contributing to a melee.

I can't see a referee having the balls to do the same thing in a championship match if I'm honest so this is going to lead to accusations of bias.
The GAA need to be telling refs, this is the way we are moving forward and if they do that and we consistently see the same actions then so be it. But I just can't see it happening again the likes of Dublin and Kerry.
What happened in the Tyrone Armagh game happens a few times a year.
Also why is it not a simple 1 game ban for a sub entering the field during a melee regardless of whether they were breaking it up or doing nothing. You always find things escalate to another level when someone off field gets involved. I'd be happy for the GAA to hammer home on that.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

David McKeown

Quote from: trueblue1234 on April 12, 2022, 10:09:28 AM
Did we ever hear the reasons the Tyrone players were banned? That was a right while ago.

Contributing to a melee.

I can't see a referee having the balls to do the same thing in a championship match if I'm honest so this is going to lead to accusations of bias.
The GAA need to be telling refs, this is the way we are moving forward and if they do that and we consistently see the same actions then so be it. But I just can't see it happening again the likes of Dublin and Kerry.
Also why is it not a simple 1 game ban for a sub entering the field during a melee regardless of whether they were breaking it up or doing nothing. You always find things escalate to another level when someone off field gets involved. I'd be happy for the GAA to hammer home on that.

Ok but whats a melee in your example?
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

yellowcard

Quote from: Armagh18 on April 12, 2022, 10:06:05 AM

What was the technicality O'Neill got off on I wonder? As I've said before, whole process needs to be far far more transparent

I'm not too sure but we'll take it anyway. Of all the players charged with bans Rian O'Neill was probably the only one that you could say might have warranted a suspension, I actually didn't think he'd get off once he was initially charged. You'd have to feel sympathy for the other players who were made scapegoats for the whole thing just because David Gough dished out 5 cards in a previous match. 

armaghniac

Quote from: tyrone08 on April 12, 2022, 06:45:40 AM
Quote from: armaghniac on April 12, 2022, 01:49:35 AM
This was a disgraceful stunt by Donegal to get men sent off. It is welcome that they were only partly successful. Hopefully, Armagh will gave the sense not to fall into such traps in future.

It's amazing how people can change their mind when the shoe is on the other foot. For the tyrone armagh row you said

But teams could set a standard too, they could tell their players that if they do join in a melee that they will not be trying to get the off.
ReplyQuoteNotify

Seems now when armagh get involved it's the other teams fault. Great to see hypocrisy  alive and well.

O'Neill didn't join the melee, the melee was started to get him sent off.

I still think they need something to stop the "all in" aspect, not least because if there are only two or three involved then there is a batter chance of seeing what is going on. Hpwever, it is hard to see how you get from here to there.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

APM

This thread is the greatest pile of dung. Just saying.......

trueblue1234

Quote from: David McKeown on April 12, 2022, 10:16:36 AM

Contributing to a melee.

No idea. Don't think the GAA know either. Looks like they've gone with anyone who is grappling or headlocks. There was a lot else let go.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Armamike

Quote from: David McKeown on April 12, 2022, 10:16:36 AM

Contributing to a melee.

3 or more players wrestling/fighting?
That's just, like your opinion man.

J70

Quote from: armaghniac on April 12, 2022, 11:20:28 AM
This was a disgraceful stunt by Donegal to get men sent off. It is welcome that they were only partly successful. Hopefully, Armagh will gave the sense not to fall into such traps in future.

It's amazing how people can change their mind when the shoe is on the other foot. For the tyrone armagh row you said

But teams could set a standard too, they could tell their players that if they do join in a melee that they will not be trying to get the off.
ReplyQuoteNotify

Seems now when armagh get involved it's the other teams fault. Great to see hypocrisy  alive and well.

I still think they need something to stop the "all in" aspect, not least because if there are only two or three involved then there is a batter chance of seeing what is going on. Hpwever, it is hard to see how you get from here to there.

Its simple. Team penalties.

Unfortunately the will is not there within the GAA community to do anything about it.

Armagh18

Quote from: J70 on April 12, 2022, 12:25:39 PM

ReplyQuoteNotify

Unfortunately the will is not there within the GAA community to do anything about it.
Whole fuss being made over nothing tbh, it's not that big of a deal better to simply move on.

J70

Quote from: Armagh18 on April 12, 2022, 12:43:35 PM
Quote from: J70 on April 12, 2022, 12:25:39 PM

ReplyQuoteNotify

Whole fuss being made over nothing tbh, it's not that big of a deal better to simply move on.

No big deal until someone gets their jaw broken or something and no one can identify who did it because both teams threw everyone into the row.

Very few games have multiple camera angles which allow all of the guilty to be weeded out.

And that's at senior county level. What about all the other levels of the game?

The GAA community is far too tolerant and indulgent of violence in my opinion.