Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: heganboy on June 24, 2016, 05:16:01 PM
Quote from: seafoid on June 24, 2016, 05:00:50 PM
The City of London is f%cked. Thousands of jobs will be lost . Maybe they can be replaced with the 350 m...

Seafoid- very valid point. There's a reason London voted stay. Morgan Stanley have already come out and declared they are considering the move of their EU headquarters to Dublin. The timing of the Brexit at the same time as the UK is pressing global companies to pay more UK tax incentivizes these firms to move to the only remaining English speaking country remaining in the EU.

The economic shock to the whole of the UK of this decision is a long way away from being realized at this point. Scotland and Northern Ireland in particular are better off in the EU, as are England and Wales (not to mention Gibraltar) but more noticeably Scotland and NI.
The UK has  brutal current account deficit and a very bad budget deficit. The Bank of England has no scope to cut rates. The economic fallout will be painful.
The events to mark the centenary of the Somme look pathetic now.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

AhNowRef

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 24, 2016, 03:41:46 PM
I had an argument on Facebook with someone in Dublin who would welcome border controls. If 'they' want to stop us going into the UK, we should stop 'them' coming to the ROI. I pointed out that a lot of 'them' were actually 'us' and worked daily in Dublin, and consider themselves Irish, and not only that but are guaranteed to be Irish under our constitution. Would we really want Irish people, working in Dublin, to be inconvenienced with a border every morning.

The response was that ye are not Irish. So hard luck lads. Even though the constitution says you are part of the Irish Nation, and Citizens of the ROI, as far as she was concerned, only people born in the 26 counties are Irish.

Sometimes I hate people.

Jaysus, must be horrible to work with Ruth Dudley Edwards  :-\

Armamike

The lunatics have taken over the asylum.  I wonder how many of the average joes in England who voted for leave really understand the possible impact of this on their pockets.  Who will they blame about the state of the NHS and the lack of jobs in 5 years time?  Big bad EU can't carry the can anymore. Over here, it's going to be a much tougher job for InvestNI to attract investment here now. 
That's just, like your opinion man.

AhNowRef

Quote from: heganboy on June 24, 2016, 05:32:13 PM
Quote from: general_lee on June 24, 2016, 05:29:31 PM
What worries me is the people in NI who voted Leave. Many of the English voters were duped (imho) whereas voters here... What exactly do they, as someone from Northern Ireland, stand to benefit from? The only argument I've heard from pro-brexit unionists is that it's a "uk-wide issue"; that theyve just done what their idiot politicans have told them to do

Anecdotally, a lot of folks in the north have viewed this referendum as an opportunity to reassert their Britishness.

Yeah , them mad eejits have aspirations of going back to a 1950s style Stormont and a closed off Union .. it aint gonna happen ..

With Scotland seeking another referendum (and to a lesser extent SF looking for a border poll) they may regret what they've helped do.. Shortsightedness as usual !!

seafoid

Quote from: Armamike on June 24, 2016, 06:33:59 PM
The lunatics have taken over the asylum.  I wonder how many of the average joes in England who voted for leave really understand the possible impact of this on their pockets.  Who will they blame about the state of the NHS and the lack of jobs in 5 years time?  Big bad EU can't carry the can anymore. Over here, it's going to be a much tougher job for InvestNI to attract investment here now.
The Daily Mail and the Sun have been telling Brits for 30 years that Europe was the problem. Now they can find out it it wasn't.  Democracy is the art of giving the people what they want, good and hard

Clov

One of the most depressing aspects of the vote is the way young people have been shafted by the elderly.
Cameron really missed a trick by not extending the voting rights to 16 & 17-year-olds - as they did with the Scottish ref vote.
"One of the most salient features of our culture is that there is so much bullshit"

seafoid

Quote from: Clov on June 24, 2016, 07:04:52 PM
One of the most depressing aspects of the vote is the way young people have been shafted by the elderly.
Cameron really missed a trick by not extending the voting rights to 16 & 17-year-olds - as they did with the Scottish ref vote.
the old shafting the young and even their own children is very much of the times . In Ireland you have the example of  middle aged teachers via the unuons fighting pay cuts to ensure younger teachers have far lower starting salaries

Clov

Quote from: seafoid on June 24, 2016, 07:10:41 PM
the old shafting the young and even their own children is very much of the times . In Ireland you have the example of  middle aged teachers via the unuons fighting pay cuts to ensure younger teachers have far lower starting salaries

Well that seems to me an example of people acting in their own self interest - which is pretty common. I'm guessing if the shoe was on the other foot younger teachers would behave similarly. The Brexit vote seems more depressing for me in that the long term consequences of the out vote effect the young much more than the elderly. I half joked with someone in work today that votes should have been weighted by life expectancy. 
"One of the most salient features of our culture is that there is so much bullshit"

seafoid

One thing that is very striking from this clusterfuck is how poor large parts of England are after 37 years of Thatcherism. Brexit was about this .
I was in a pub in Donaghadee on the Ards peninsula and there was a photo of the town 100 years ago. The people were all well dressed.  Over in Galway or Tipp people at the time had nothing . Economics are funny. Things change.

The Brits including our neighbours up north are seriously lost.

seafoid

Quote from: Clov on June 24, 2016, 07:19:56 PM
Quote from: seafoid on June 24, 2016, 07:10:41 PM

Well that seems to me an example of people acting in their own self interest - which is pretty common. I'm guessing if the shoe was on the other foot younger teachers would behave similarly. The Brexit vote seems more depressing for me in that the long term consequences of the out vote effect the young much more than the elderly. I half joked with someone in work today that votes should have been weighted by life expectancy.
In the big picture it is not coherent. Demand has to be supported for the economy y to recover but it is too remote for a lot of people

BennyCake

What worries me is the people in NI who voted Leave. Many of the English voters were duped (imho) whereas voters here... What exactly do they, as someone from Northern Ireland, stand to benefit from? The only argument I've heard from pro-brexit unionists is that it's a "uk-wide issue"; that theyve just done what their idiot politicans have told them to do

I voted Leave. Either way, the ordinary Joe will be shafted. Europe is run by unelected wankers and member states have to toe the line. EU quotas have destroyed fishing in Ireland (and UK), a country that relies heavily on it. I never thought Leave would win, but now that it has, hopefully the rest will leave, and that can only be a good thing.

Yes, post-Brexit there will be recession, cuts etc - but they've never needed an excuse for that in the past. They'll blame Brexit and make people suffer but they would have done that anyway.

INDIANA

Quote from: BennyCake on June 24, 2016, 07:30:05 PM

I voted Leave. Either way, the ordinary Joe will be shafted. Europe is run by unelected w**kers and member states have to toe the line. EU quotas have destroyed fishing in Ireland (and UK), a country that relies heavily on it. I never thought Leave would win, but now that it has, hopefully the rest will leave, and that can only be a good thing.

Yes, post-Brexit there will be recession, cuts etc - but they've never needed an excuse for that in the past. They'll blame Brexit and make people suffer but they would have done that anyway.

That's complete rubbish. Nobody benefits from being outside the EU. Unless you're a martyr who gives all his disposal income to charity that is.

Financially this is a disaster for the UK. Morgan Stanley looking at moving 2,000 jobs to Dublin already. More to come

Agr farmers in Ireland will go out of business as well as many companies who trade with the UK.

Anyone who says this would have happened if the status quo had of remained either is Nigel Farage or just plain old stupid.

Kidder81

Spoke to a few fellas in work today that voted Leave, all nationalists. They all cited immigration as their sole reason for voting Leave

INDIANA

Quote from: Kidder81 on June 24, 2016, 07:37:30 PM
Spoke to a few fellas in work today that voted Leave, all nationalists. They all cited immigration as their sole reason for voting Leave

Which is the stupidest reason of all. The jingoism of the worst excesses of Boris Johnson and Farage won the day and I'm sad to say my generation were responsible for the single worst decision the UK has made since the Falklands

BennyCake

Switzerland do alright. As does Norway, Israel, US, China etc.

You are deluded if you think the UK won't be able to trade with EU members. They're the 5th or 6th biggest economy in the world. They'll work it out!

Immigration is a factor too. Infrastructures can't cope with massive influxes of people; hospitals, doctors, schools etc. Another good reason to get out. Should've happened 10 years ago.